“Absolutely charmed! Outstanding location, stepped back in time”
Review of Buswells Hotel

Buswells Hotel
Ranked #23 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Buswells is an institution in Ireland strongly associated with politics being across the road from the Irish Parliament - Dail Eireann. I suspect that is part of the reason that never have I had any interest in staying there, and I assumed it maintained it's existence on the basis of being a political B&B.

But also the National Museum and the National Gallery are also across the road; it is a few hundred metres from Grafton Street and Trinity College, and convenient to the Luas light rail on St Stephens Green etc etc etc.

There is the quality of the location (if it's good enough for the famous Shelbourne Hotel around the corner -- it has to be a pretty good location)
And then there is the question of is what is like as a hotel? When you are used to a Generic International 4 star hotel offering that is virtually the same the world over; this was a breath of fresh air!

It's 3 star, and while some areas/features are a bit worn, most of the hotel has been refreshed/refurbished really, really beautifully and "comfortably".
I agree with criticisms that there are stairs and mini stairs everywhere, and that may compromise access for some, but it is in essence a very old Georgian townhouse, and the small rooms and narrow twisty corridors are part of that charm.
Over and over it reminded me of Agatha Christie's "At Bertram's Hotel"!

My doubleroom was shoebox in size. But it didn't matter in the least. Indeed for the first time in forever I could sit in bed with a computer charging from a side wall socket, and have my mobile phone charge on a bedside locker. I did not mind having just a shower instead of a bath - it's easier and safer to get into as well

The breakfast buffet looked a little mean - until you realise they actually take an order and bring it to you - and that means it comes on a proper warm plate!

I've seen people criticise that it doesn't have Air Con. In fairness in Ireland this is not really needed - really ever. I hate to see Air Con plants running constantly in hotels at massive cost to the environment.
What Buswells has are windows that actually open!
If it is a choice between being hermetically sealed and a window that opens I'd take a window every time.

Excellent bedding - really lovely and comfortable, great blackout curtains.
It's as if they ignored most of the so called "progress" in hotels in the last 40 years and concentrated on what was traditionally important - a comfortable bed and breakfast - with a really friendly staff.

THE STAFF DESERVE A SPECIAL NOTE. It's an easy friendliness they have, there is nothing artificial or packaged about it.

"Free" wifi is always great.

Finally, one outstanding point is the room water. It's not big brand 500ml still and sparkling that some "better" hotel brands have realised is a must. I think what they do is provide filtered water in their own brand glass bottles with flip cork lids. One way or another there was 1 L (or 750mls) of Still and the same amount of Sparkling.
It is the little things that matter....

One Caveat - I stayed here in Dec in Christmas season and perhaps that gives the whole package a seasonal lift that might not be there at other times of the year.

There were downsides - there has to be:
---Orange juice at breakfast was FCOJ and I think hotels - even 3 star - should have the real thing. An alternative would be a crushing machine. Most people would take the FCOJ for speed but there would be a choice offered.
---a little garnish on the breakfast would make it pretty and the fresh scrambled eggs (and it was evidently fresh) could have been a little better, but that is probably a matter of taste and the rashers were most definitely Irish and tasted real - like that had not been prepped 4 hrs before. I'd liven up that continental buffet with maybe Irish branded granolas/museli as opposed to Alpen/Rice crisps/ bran flakes .
---it's an old hotel - and I could hear the next room listening to Sky news at 6am, and someone doing sit-ups on the floor above - but simple solution: snuggle down under the duvet and I soon forgot it.
---Had a smoked salmon sandwich in the bar. It was fine but a bit pedestrian, which was a bit of a pity for what is essentially a national dish.
---I had a room at the back with no view - but I wasn't there to stay up all night pondering the streetscape....

If you can accept it for what it is - an old Georgian townhouse with tiny rooms and stairs, beautifully and comfortably refurbished shoe box rooms, I think you'll agree the building and staff deserves more than its 3 stars.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tombusa
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Tombusa,
Wow, what a great review. It is fantastic to read all the great things you experienced in Buswells Hotel. Thank you so much and I hope you will have an opportunity to stay with us.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,574)

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I recently just stayed at the Buswells hotel in Dublin and was delighted with my choice. I couldn't believe the great location, the friendly staff and nice room. It has a lot of charm, but that also means lack of lifts. Free Wi-Fi, 24 hour staff service. I could hear noise from people walking above my room, but never heard my neighbors talking through the walls. I could hear construction across the street, but hopefully it is not ongoing for future travelers.

As for the location, Grafton street was 2 streets over! This hotel is so central for walking to see Dubin, eat your favorite foods and the coach bus from the Airport stops and picks up just across the street for 8 Euros.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Lesley L,
Many thanks for posting your review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you found our location and charm so great and look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Dublin.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Second visit to dublin,Stopped just the one night, before moving onto Galway. Spacious, comfortable and clean, after tramping back from the O2 at midnight the barman insisted on table service for our night caps. Will stay again, ideal location for 1st time visitors

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Borotmt,
It is great to read you recent comments on Buswells Hotel and I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
I hope to see you return in the near future.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Just back from a two night stay at this lovely hotel. Staff were very pleasant. Room a little bit of a squash for 3 but compensated by a large bathroom. Had a meal when we arrived which was very nice and breakfast one morning, also very nice. It's a hotel with lots of character, open fires and a feeling of bygone days. My only 2 quibbles were the hot water, which was a bit hit and miss, also as our room was on the front and even though it was November the room was hot so we needed the window open and it was rather noisy. But other than that fantastic.....great location.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Dawn94,
Thank you for your lovely comments on the hotel and our staff. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your meal in our restaurant.

I hope you had a pleasant journey home and look forward to seeing you back in Buswells on your next trip to Dublin.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We chose this hotel because it is the nearest to Trinity College where we were attending a conference. I had requested an early check-in time regular time is after 2pm) We arrived just after 1pm, but our room wasn't ready.
We came back later in the afternoon and a porter was called to take our one small bag. Noticing my walking stick, he inquired if I minded " a couple of steps". I insisted on using the lift. When got out, on the second floor we were then walked up and down several flights of stairs, along a corridor and across a sloping covered bridge to reach room 401.
The room was a reasonable size, but gloomy rather than cozy. There was a token radiator under the tall sash window with no heat in it at all. An even smaller radiator was in the icy bathroom. The bedroom lighting was totally inadequate. We had to go into the bathroom to read anything. The two radiators acquired a little heat later in the evening. But neither bathroom nor bedroom warmed sufficiently. There is a notice in the bathroom saying it may take a while for warm water to reach the bathroom. They are not joking.
I should mention that the public rooms on the ground floor are lovely and warm, including an open fire, all of which gives an entirely false impression about the heating elsewhere. Also, I don't think I should have to declare slight mobility problems in a hotel with lifts. Nor should a couple in their seventies be given allocated so inaccessible a room.
The only reason we did not complain and demand a different room was that we were only staying one night and our free time was limited.

Room Tip: Ask how far you are going to have walk to your room before you accept it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ballydorn

Dear Ballydorn,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us recently. We do our very best to match guest requirements with our rooms. As soon as our staff noticied your walking stick, I believe Paddy asked reception to offer you a room nearer the lift which you declined. Never the less, we will retrain the desk staff to be alert to guests particular needs.

It is delightful to read that you found our public rooms lovely with the open fire.

I do hope that when you return to Dublin that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Buswells Hotel.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Small rooms that have a stagnant odor. Can't get hot water in the shower. No conditioner and soap that smells heavily like cheap cologne. NOT WORTH IT, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE. A charming lobby is where the positives end.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank ddjennings
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear DDJennings,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We value all feedback as it enables us to improve on the service we offer and our product.
We supply shampoo and body conditioner in all our rooms but not conditioner. We have had no issues with our soap and this is the first time anyone has had a negative comment about it.
I am delighted that you found our lobby charming.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We were seven friends staying at this hotel and all of us thought it was great. Location is unbeatable with walking distance to both shopping, nightclubs, restaurants and a park. Serviceminded staff all over and the interiour was old-fashioned and charming. I could absolutely go back.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndreasIngberg
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

AndreasIngberg, thank you for your wonderful review. I am delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us and make great us of our location for shopping and nightlife.

I hope you all had a pleasant journey home and look forward to welcoming you to Buswells Hotel on your next visit to Dublin.