“still excellent after 32 years”
Review of Buswells Hotel

Buswells Hotel
Ranked #24 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've been staying at Buswells since 1981. The only time I did not stay there was in the late 90s, maybe 97, when Buswells was closed for renovations. The Tourist Board recommended a dreadful hotel that I think of with horror every time I go by it (hint: it was on Harcourt Street). What I love most about Buswells is the staff. I've just read many of the recent comments, and as they all make clear, whenever you have a problem, the wonderful Buswells staff will help you immediately. They are always, always pleasant, intelligent, and motivated by the desire for hotel guests to be happy and comfortable. If you ask them, at odd hours of the day or night, for more toilet paper, or an extra sheet, or a do-not-disturb sign, or paper and pencil, or another lamp, or just about anything, you will find them at your door with it in minutes. I consider Buswells Bar my home-away-from-home. Americans should know that 'bar' does not mean in Dublin what it means in the States: it is a beautiful, dark-wood-panelled pub-restaurant where you can get as little as a cup of peppermint tea or as much as a shepherd's pie and ice cream or grilled salmon or Irish stew at almost any time. You can sit there for hours over a pot of Irish tea and no one pesters you to order more. I hold 'office hours' there, meeting Irish friends for business conversations. It is easy to treat friends to food and drink, if you want to, because the Bar staff will just put the expenses on your hotel bill. In fact, during several of my recent visits, I ran off with friends to our next engagement and forgot altogether to pay, but the staff simply asked me the next day if the charges on the bill were correct....very tactful of them! For those who don't know Dublin, I should add that there is no more central location: you are within minutes of several museums, the National Library, restaurants, shopping, coffee houses, pubs, everything. --- I notice also all the comments about the rooms, and they are correct: all the rooms are different from one another. If you want to stay in a Holiday-Inn-type place, Buswells is not for you. Depending on whether you want cool air or warmth, silence or signs of life, a large or a small bathroom, bright sun or shade, etc etc, you will simply have to try different rooms and see what you prefer. Back in the 80s and 90s, when I knew Buswells less well, the kindly staff would let me look at several rooms and tell them which one I wanted. --- One sign that the staff is happy to be working at Buswells is that many of them have been working there for *almost* as long as I've been staying there: I'm thinking of Kathleen, Barbara, and Mary. Vicki is a more recent addition, but I hope she'll continue there as long as I'm still going back and forth. --- And no, this is not a review really written by a hotel manager: I'm an English professor who teaches Irish writing. The presence of Buswells in Irish history and literature is another subject, but no time for it now: I have a life outside Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: When you make your reservation, specify what is important to you: high ceilings, or warmth, or quiet...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank janet g
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Janet G, thank you so much for your wonderful review following your recent stay with us at Buswells Hotel.
It is our pleasure to welcome you every year and we hope you will continue to consider us your home from home for many more years.
Thank you again for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back again to Buswells Hotel soon.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The location is great as it is easy walking distance to Grafton St, Temple Bar, Trinity College, St Stephen's Green, etc. Plus it is on a quieter street so there is very little noise at night which is an issue for other places.

We did encounter a couple of issues with our stay. Our room was at the back of the hotel (as requested due to TA reviews saying it would be quieter) but the wifi did not reach back there. This was a big deal to us, but we were prepared to live with it and just get wifi in the lobby. Then the shower did not get cold enough - that's right, it was scalding hot - and no matter which way we turned the knob, it would not go colder than burn level. So there was no way we could shower.

To the hotel's credit, they promptly moved us to another room, which had a good shower and wifi access so our stay improved dramatically.

Room Tip: A room at the back is quieter but will have no wifi access.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Ricola22, thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read you found our location so great during your stay with us at Buswells Hotel. It is disappointing to read of the issues you experienced with the shower but I am glad that we could accommodate you in an alternative room.
I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you to Buswells Hotel on your next visit to Dublin.

Paul Gallagher.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Since it was out first time going to Dublin we had no idea about where to stay in the area or what to expect from the people. Buswells was in the perfect area! It is close to all the major tourist attractions as well as multiple stops on the hop on/hop off tour buses. The entire staff was super friendly and when we had to change our reservation which meant changing rooms, they were very accommodating. There were a few little problems in the rooms but nothing that affected the comfort of our stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AlexisB810
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

AlexisB810, thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with at Buswells Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that we could accommodate the change to your booking.
We are very lucky with our location - so near so many shops and attractions.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Buswells Hotel again.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We arrived in Dublin from Western Ireland and were ready for a hotel stay. Buswells was perfect for our family of 3. It is minutes from various tourist attractions in the city center including Trinity College and the major shopping area. Buswells is a combination tourist and business hotel, so somewhat reserved, especially since it is very close to the government offices. Our room was very comfortable and nicely appointed. The hotel combines the "old" and "new" very effectively for me. I love the feeling of traditional, romantic old hotels but value modern bathrooms and showers. The hotel bar food was great and reasonably priced. Our beds were very comfortable and although we heard street noise, and some protestors from the nearby government building, all was just fine. The only complaint I have is that the hotel held a fire drill for employees and didn't let us know. So, while resting in the afternoon, we were startled by the fire alarm and out the door, turns out for no reason. A warning that it was a practice drill would have been appreciated. Aside from that incident, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Buswells and would return again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Paula D

Paula D, thank you for your wonderful review following your recent stay at Buswells Hotel. It is great to read how much you enjoyed your stay here and loved our old world feeling.
I am sorry to read that you were disturbed by our employee fire drill and I have passed your comments to the training manager.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you to Buswells Hotel again.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here with my tour group for a total of three nights and an additional night on my own. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is located centrally, across the street from the National Library and the National Museum. The walk is easy to Trinity College, Grafton Street, St Stephen's Green and Merrion Square. There are also bus stops close by. The last night there was unseasonably warm, but the hotel had topsheets available in case any one staying did not want to use the goose down comforter that usually tops the beds. I would imagine on cool nights that the down would be quite inviting. Rooms had a tea tray and also bottles of still and sparkling available for drinking which were refilled each day if needed. The decor was elegant. I had a room facing the street which had some street noise but not enough to bother my sleep. Breakfast in the mornings were a pleasure. There was a nice selection of cold items but also the opportunity to order a hot breakfast. Both options were delicious. The bar was also a nice place to enjoy a drink in the afternoon/evenings. I highly recommend this classy hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank NevadaSoulTrain

Thank you NevadaSoulTrain for your lovely review following your stay with us recently. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and made use of our facilities and of course our great location.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to Buswells Hotel again.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed in 8 different places over our 12 days in Ireland, including 3 hotels and 5 B&B's. Breakfast was much better in the other 6 of the other 7 places (only Jury's in Galway was worse - the B&B's were all very good in this department).

It was very warm in Dublin while we were there, and the hotel was warm also - they didn't seem to have any response at all to the high temperatures last week. No air conditioning; not even a fan. We opened our windows, which kept our room from getting as warm and stuffy as the hallway outside our room, and the common areas, where nobody thought to ventilate.

I'd say the place is in need of a makeover - everything seemed a bit old. My mattress seemed like it was ready to be replaced.

Wi-Fi service was complicated and erratic/undependable.

On the plus side: Staff were pleasant and efficient. Location was very good. Price was reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RCP012

Thank you for taking the time post your review following your recent stay with us at Buswells Hotel. It is great to read that you found our staff and pleasant and our location so good.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you to Buswells Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed a total of four nights here in Dublin. The hotel staff were professional, friendly and very accommodating to our needs. The location was great near Trinity College , a few good pubs and great shops. Bus stops were nearby making it easy to get around to see the sites. A made to order breakfast was excellent and served with a smile and pleasantries. The desk staff went out of their way to meet our needs for early breakfast, transportation and boarding passes.
Our room was clean and comfortable. The hotel is a picture of Victorian elegance which enhanced our stay. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Jeanne K, thank you so much for your wonderful review following your recent stay with us. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay in particular our friendly staff and our great location.