“Good value for money, excellent staff”
Review of Brooks Hotel

Brooks Hotel
Ranked #9 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
UK
“Good value for money, excellent staff”
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Dublin is not a cheap city, but this hotel offers very good value for money. In other words its not cheap, but for Dublin its very reasonable! We stayed for 4 nights

A central location means that the whole of central Dublin is within easy walking distance.

Special mention for the staff (ironically many are not Irish) who offer service beyond that normally given by city centre hotels. Very friendly as well. The door is opened by the doorman, everyone has a smile and the place is alive and happy.

Our room was excellent, of a reasonable size and comfortable to sit in.

We did not use the hotel restaurant, choosing instead to eat in the multitude of very good local restaurants within a couple of hundred meters of the hotel.

We left feeling that we had been treated as individuals and not processed like peas in a pod. A hotel to use if you are in Dublin

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank moraira

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Hebrew first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I stayed at Brooks hotel in June. On arrival the door was opened for me and I was greeted pleasantly. -Hit

I booked my package online and made some special requests which were email confirmation acknowledged this, but on arrival firstly my booking could not be found then when it was none of my special requests were stated.- Hit or so I thought

Firstly I asked for a twin room, but a double was awaiting. This would not suit as I was sharing with a collegue. The gentleman at reception asked me to take a seat while he rectified this . After a few minutes I was told My room would be ready in half an hour . I had just arrived on an early flight from London and had hoped to check in quickly as I had another conference in Dublin so the half hour seemed very long.- Miss

I went for a walk & its great how central the hotel is.- Hit.
When I got back my room was ready. The room was really spacious and very well decorated but the twin bed arrangement was not very good. The beds were right beside each other.- miss

my next request of a quiet room with no street noise was done thankfully- hit

One robe in closet & two guests -miss

Bedroom book stated iron in room but there was none- miss

Water pressure very bad at one stage I was scalded & another I was frozen-miss

Package booked "champagne & shopping" to include breakfast but when we went down for breakfast the first morning we were told this was not included & were left standing there not knowing if we had to wait to be seated or not. There were lots of staff running round and no eye contact made to acknowledge we were there which was very frustrating- miss

Breakfast was lovely, fresh breads and pastries & cooked breakfast so lots of choice- hit

We got back to the hotel at around 10 each night & felt like an inconvenience in the bar- miss
however all reception staff were very polite-hit.

In the bedroom book it mentioned footspa's were available so I decide I would ask for one . It was broken-miss

on check out I was shown a receipt for breakfasts seperate to the package and I had to explain again it was part of the package. I had to find my print off of my booking and prove this which annoyed me as staff should know what is included in the packages they sell.-miss

Turndown service was very nice- hit

Ok my review seems very negative but 90% of the staff were very pleasant. It was the confusion that really bugged me. The staff were quick to rectify things but my problem was these things should not have happened. There were too many little things which made it a big thing. Better structure is needed & I would happily go back.

• Liked — The conceirge, The doorman & The night porter were genuinely friendly & helpful
  • Disliked — too many mix ups!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank cityslicker52
London
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Some Good

The hotel is very central and close to all the action and places of interest.. Most of the staff are very friendly and a special mention to Stephen who greeted us and explained the city when we arrived.

Some bad

As the hotel is very central it is very noisy on a Saturday night. There is a disco on the corner of the block and this continued to boom until 3.00am on the Sunday morning. Our room was on the first floor with no double glazing so we enjoyed the full benefit of the bass notes. We were then kept awake for a further hour as the drunken revellers wended their way home.

For the second night we were moved, and were undisturbed especially as the disco was shut. Both rooms were adequate, but a little on the small side.

The quality of the cooked breakfast was poor with flaky scrambled egg – weird!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Markmywords
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Personal service at the Brooks Hotel was outstanding! The wonderful doorman, Conor, introduced himself immediately and remembered our names each time he saw us. They could not have done more to meet our needs during our stay. The hotel is beautiful and anyone who enters is immediately made to feel special. We had quiet rooms on the inside of the hotel and had a great night's sleep.

The only suggestion for improvement would be in their email correspondence and pre-check in service. We asked if the hotel could make arrangements to have our six person party picked up at the airport and were told that we needed to telephone the taxi company ourselves. Also, I emailed several times regarding one member of our party who would be arriving much earlier. I requested that this member be permitted to check into any one of our three rooms as soon as one was available. He was told that his room was not available and it did not seem like an effort was made to get him into any of our rooms prior to the check in time. I was told that the only want to guarantee early check in would be to reserve the room the night before. If the room was available the night before, presumably it would have been available earlier than the 2:00 check in. I was told by a member of the hotel staff that the hotel was not full. I wish they had accomodated our early arriving guest. Lastly, when I contacted the hotel to add the third room, they told me that they did not have my earlier reservation. I had the email confirmation and the reservation number, but their only response was "that employee is no longer with us." Although I was able to rebook the rooms, I wondered what would have happened had I not needed to add the third room. No apology was offered.

Although the above paragraph is long, the pre-arrival events did not in any way spoil our stay. I can't emphasize enough how nice everyone was. Everyone we spoke with, and particularly Conor, was genuinely concerned about our satisfication as though they were personal friends. The hotel is lovely and we will absolutely stay here again. I couldn't imagine finding a nicer hotel within easy walking distance to Temple Bar with such a high level of service.

• Liked — the staff and the location
  • Disliked — email communications
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank FamilyMidWest
MS
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed here two nights in January 2008. Great service, excellent hotel. Breakfast was included in the price of the room through a package listed on the hotel website. Turndown service with candy/chocolates each night. Easy walking distance to all the sights. The front desk kept our bags after checkout until we returned to the airport. Bar in hotel is modern and friendly, but it took them a while to figure out how to pour a pint of Guinness (in Dublin!) Would stay here again for a short break in Dublin.

• Stayed January 2008
2 Thank skb100100
UK
Reviewed July 3, 2008

I've stayed here regularly and have not reviewed the hotel in a while. Reserved a one night stay in June, booked a deluxe room for single use, quoted rate was 195€ which was fine. Checked in, got to room but realised that the room was a standard (having stayed in one before). Phoned reception. Told the room was deluxe. Not in a mood to fight a battle, I'd had a long day of meetings.

Checked out the following day to be charged the 175€ rate for standard room.

Not a big deal, but I wanted something else.

The rest is impeccable. The staff are wonderful, the pillows amazing and the breakfast very worth having.

• Liked — Location, breakfast
  • Disliked — The fact that I didn't end up in the room I'd booked.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank N L
barnsley
Reviewed July 1, 2008

We only stayed one night before travelling on for a short break near Cork but definately would like to return for a longer stay and sample the hotel restaurant. The hotels location is fantastic for visiting shops, temple bar and tourist attractions such as trinity college. Our room was lovely, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was nice too but no seperate shower, we had a shower over the bath with shower curtain. We stayed in a standard room the decor was bright and flowery rather than contemporary/modern which is a style we usually favour however it was still a nice room and even though we were in the centre of Dublin and in a front facing room on the 5th floor,little noise from the streets was experienced. The breakfast was excellent and we found the staff very friendly. Would definately stay again and recommend.

• Liked — Comfortable room in great location/ nice bar and restaurant/attractive hotel external/internal
  • Disliked — no seperate shower and shower curtain
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple