“The Phoenix Park House Hotel, Dublin - Very Dissapointing”
Review of Phoenix Park Hotel

Phoenix Park Hotel
Ranked #129 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Manchester, UK
“The Phoenix Park House Hotel, Dublin - Very Dissapointing”
Reviewed April 29, 2007

I booked this hotel for a 2night stay for 4 adults in April 07. We had really looked forward to the trip as i was taking my sister and brother-in-law who were visiting from Australia. Sadly the hotel spoilt our entire trip. The hotel staff are extremely friendly; however the rooms were disgusting. They absolutely reeked of tobacco even though the hotel states they operate a 'No Smoking' policy. I counted 5 cigarette burns in the double duvet and 2 in the single duvet. We immediately asked for the room to be changed which they did
without question; unfortunately the second room wasn't much of an improvement. It was very dark and dingy and very dirty. The hotel is in much need of renovation and the breakfast didn't offer what it stated on the menu. Overall a very disappointing hotel - however our trip to Malahide made up for it and the people of Dublin are wonderful. Phoenix Park, if you carry out the improvements to your hotel I'm sure you will have your guests returning year upon year.

Julie, Eileen and Derek. M/cr and Australia.

Stayed April 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
amsterdam
Reviewed April 3, 2007

The website for this hotel made it seem quaint and cozy. This was not the case! My husband and I ended up with a room that had four beds, a dingy/dirty feeling, and a really small bathroom. When we walked up to the hotel from across the street, we almost turned around and walked away without even checking in. It would have been better to lose the deposit than stay here, based on the exterior! Granted, inside was slightly better, but not worth it. It's proximity to the city center is less than ideal as you have to take public transport or a taxi. Spend a few extra bucks, it'll be worth it!

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Lancashire, u.k
Reviewed December 5, 2006

We booked this hotel for Four days over New Years Eve 2007 a month ahead-the hotel only appears to be a guesthouse and so we thought we had got a good deal for the four nights.
We booked through an agency website, hostels.com and paid a deposit. we later received an email from the phoenix park hotel directly saying they had made an error and the price was 110 euros a night extra!! This trip was for my birthday as well as for NYE and we had booked the flights relying upon the hotel price. We asked them to honour the price as it was there mistake and we had lost the other hotel we had on hold that we could afford-'Mary '-sent a rather curt email informing us that it was our fault because we had kept the room online therefore not allowing them to upgrade the system-a load of rubbish as we booked a good few hours after finding the room and were not even online in that time. Overall, their mistake has cost us as we now are struggling to find any accommodation. If this is their customer care before you even get there, i wouldnt like to meet them in person!

Stayed December 2006
2 Thank lizf79
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 26, 2006

Dispite other reviews I did not think this was a horrible B&B. I stayed here over St. Patrick's Day weekend and it was one of the only properties that had open rooms. Because of the holiday the rooms were more expensive and not really worth what we paid, but we were paying more than the average price. Ideally, I would have liked to stay somewhere that was in the centre of town, but Dublin city not being incredibly big, it was fine. It is very close to Heuston Station where buses, the Luas and trains depart from. The room I stayed in was very large and clean. The beds were very comfortable too. The only complaint we had about the rooms was that the walls were very thin and we could hear our noisy neighbors all night. The breakfast was very nice, better than expected. The service, however, was a little slow, but the hotel was very crowded the weekend we stayed. From the outside the hotel looks a bit run down, but it is not as bad as it seems from the outside. I think all the rooms may vary and we happened to get a decent one. If visiting Dublin again I would not stay here, just because of its location. I would prefer to stay in the city centre.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bristol
Reviewed April 5, 2006

I am not one to write reviews normally, but felt compelled to do so after staying at Phoenix Park. The room had a horrible damp smell, and was not particularly clean either. We stayed 2 nights and although the maid had been in and made the bed up, we were left with the dirty mugs and spoon from the day before!The breakfast was very greasy and not at all appetising.
The location was good as in easy reach of the station and buses, but if you want to stay in this area, then I would book a different hotel!

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank Lavender1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 19, 2005

I recently stayed in this dump. Never and I mean never again!!! I am a sales agent and myself and a colleague were in Dublin for some business meetings. As we are a young company i have to admit we were being pennywise. I found this dump on the internet and i was pleased to learn that the rates were from 38 euro to 80 euro. I tried to book via the site .....got no reply.... so i called...great... 45 euro per night. more than happy.
Then we got there.. The place is awful!!! I got to my room.....someone had spat on the wall and it was still there. The loo.......lets just say it was not clean.
I am genuinely not one to complain.. i reckoned ..well you get what you pay for. So, I flushed the toilet. and afterall i was just sleeping there really.stayed for the 3 nights.. went to pay.... the guy (owner)wants 90 euro each. claims that he never said that it was 45 euro.. that no where would let you stay for les than 90. there are 4 star hotels in and around dublin wher you can stay for 78 euro.
Anyways we paid and left.
In conclusion. Never ever stay in this most awful place.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denville,NJ,USA
Reviewed September 19, 2005

Clean, comfortable, very reasonably priced. About a mile from City Center with good public transportation available.

• Stayed April 2003