“Lovely little hotel”
Review of Phoenix Park Hotel

Phoenix Park Hotel
Ranked #128 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed here for one night & had a great sleep. Room was a bit small but didn't mind because I only used it for a few hours to sleep. Bathroom was huge & had a lovely big shower!

The girl on reception at check-in was really sweet and friendly I was told her name is Susana. The night porter was also very helpful when I came back a little worse for wear & misplaced my key! Also, thanks to the lady at the desk in the morning who tried to help me get a cab.

Good stay, lovely staff & would stay there again next time I'm in Dublin.

• Stayed: March 2014
liam s, Public Relations Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2014

Dear Ann M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a positive comment, I am delighted you had a pleasant stay with us and that all our staff were helpful. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future

Many Thanks!
Management

Reviewed January 20, 2014

A friend and I stayed here with our children for one night. The rooms were clean and comfortable although my friend's room was too hot at night. The price is certainly reasonable. However I did have a couple of small niggles about the place. Before arriving I had called the hotel to ask about parking. I was told that there was a car park between this hotel and the Ashling Hotel. We managed to find the car park but it was closed. We checked several times that day and each time it was still closed with no sign of anyone being around. We ended up having to park across the road at Heuston Station (a bit of a trek with bags, a baby and a toddler!). When we arrived at the hotel I had my baby in a buggy so naturally I asked if there was a lift up to the rooms. I was told by the young girl on reception that there was. When we got up to our floor we realised that there were four or five steps to carry the buggy up after getting out of the lift. It wasn't a big problem, just a bit awkward, but it would have been nice if the girl on reception had mentioned it. Her overall attitude had seemed to be one of disinterest anyway though! After leaving our things in the room we went back down to reception and asked if we could get food in the restaurant. We were told that the restaurant was closed. The next morning we went down to reception and a different lady was there. We asked about getting breakfast and were told that the chef hadn't turned up. She did manage to get cereal, toast and tea for us though (after a reminder about the tea!). Overall for the price it was grand and the rooms were lovely and clean but it's not somewhere I would stay again with young children, given that there is no parking nearby, they don't appear to be able to provide any food and the stairs are a bit awkward with a buggy. The hotel was extremely quiet which was good for sleep but maybe that's because we didn't see any other guests the whole time we were there!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Gem2680
liam s, Guest Relations Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2014

Dear Gem2680,

Thank you for your constructive comment. I do apologise if your receptionist on arrival was not as accommodating as we have come to expect from our staff.
Unfortunatly, if the car park is full they close the gates and keep them closed until a guest leaves (it is not our car park but we have an agreement to use spaces for our guests) there is street parking around the corner and this should have been made available to you. I believe our chef had an emergency and had to leave hence the bistro was closed and he was delayed coming in the next morning.. again i am very sorry for the inconvenience, i am glad you slept well and i do hope you will come and visit us again!
Many thanks and best wishes to the little ones! :)
Regards
Emer

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Must write a review, stayed over just before christmas week, one of the cheapest rooms available in town!!
Iv stayed in quiet a few places and this is as good as any,, great welcome from staff,, lovely food in restaurant and a lovely bar to have a pint.
Would recommend to anyone looking to enjoy themselves in dublin adn not break the bank.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank robert m
liam s, Front Office Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2014

Dear Robert M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely comment! we strive to be as friendly and welcoming as possible. I do hope we will see you again soon!

Kind Regards
Management

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Checked out hotel previous to travel had very bad reviews I was apprehensive but couldn't be more wrong, hotel is lovely and clean very warm and welcoming. Manager can't do enough to assist our needs. Had everything we needed in room for our stay! Breakfast was brilliant Irish breakfast was lovely!! Good location very near town able to walk. Would definitely visit again without a doubt! Great family run business :)

Stayed: November 2013
liam s, Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2014

Hello Ashley K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a positive comment :) we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.. we strive to give all guests the experience you had! please come and see us all again soon!

Regards
The Phoenix Park Hotel Team :)

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed here on my first week in Dublin and found the hotel very welcoming, very clean, and at least one of the staff(Liam) very entertaining - His one minute overview of what there is to see in Dublin should be put on stage as entertainment :-)

I was travelling on Business and due to only being able to book late ended up here a little way from my work base, however for tourists I would highly recommend as access to Phoenix Park and the City Centre is very easy.

The only 2 niggles I had was there is no in room Internet(However good speed wireless for free in the bar) and the resteraunt did not open while I was there(mid September) although there are 2 excellent pubs 50 feet around the corner

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Hoylakean
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We chose this hotel for it's proximity to Heuston Station as we had to be there quite early for a tour. The walls are paper thin so unless you're a heavy sleeper, do not count on a good night's sleep. We were told that the wifi worked in common areas but that wasn't the case. Most of the staff were wonderful with helping us out when we needed to look up information on line; although one day we needed to look up some travel information, couldn't get on line and asked for help, we thought that the woman at the desk who had agreed to help was looking things up but when we asked, she said she'd given up because the internet was so slow!

The rooms were quite clean, the location is alright, Phoenix Park is lovely and worth a visit.

Overall though, I found that the lack of wifi in the rooms, coupled with the poor sleep because of the noise level as well as the fact that you cannot avoid stairs; this hotel is over priced.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay, make sure you stay on the 3rd (top floor); at least you won't hear you...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank GypsyGold
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I traveled to Dublin with a friend as she had an interview the following morning.
On arrival we could find nowhere close by to park our car. After finally getting some help from locals we went to check in. We arrived at the check in desk and were greeted by a visibly intoxicated gentleman. It then took us 10 minutes to get to our room as the girl showing us to our room didn't know where it was.
We decided that we would get some dinner in the hotel and have an early night as we had to be up early in the morning. We were told that we could not eat in the restaurant as it was closed. It was shortly after 7pm.
In the morning we woke up at 6am. my friend came out of the bathroom after 20 minutes........ NO HOT WATER!!! I went down to reception to be greeted by deafening music being blasted from the speakers, when I finally got the attention of the porter he told me that he didn't know what to do. I told him to find someone who did.
We eventually got a key to another room. I then left to drop my friend to her interview and returned to the hotel to get a shower myself. When I arrived at my room I noticed the door was open. There was a strange woman in the bathroom and I felt very unsettled. She introduced herself as the manager and said that she was just checking the shower. I found this an incredible intrusion in our privacy. She then proceeded to talk to me as if I was a five year old child. stating that the shower was tricky and the hot water isn't instant. If it was that simple, why couldn't the porter take care of this???
I was offered no apology whatsoever. I will never stay in this hotel again, the staff are rude, unhelpful and ill mannered. The room itself was fusty, basic and dirty. As for the food, I have no idea as the restaurant doesn't seem to function.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends