“Mixed experience”

Globetrotters Tourist Hostel
Ranked #49 of 119 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Great location, right near tram stops and main bus/train stations. 5 mins walk from O'Connell Street and Temple Bar. Rooms OK with solid wooden bunk beds. Noisy guests which weren't brought under control by owners. Kitchen disgusting and smelt terrible.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Globetrotters Tourist Hostel

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I stayed here over St. Patricks Day weekend with a friend and we were extremely happy with its location. It is right by everything so I never needed to get local transportation because we were able to walk everywhere. One downside is there is only one bathroom for the entire room which made it inconvenient in the morning when everyone in the room were trying to get ready. There also aren't any lockers in our room to lock anything up which I didn't like. Also, on St. Patricks Day someone from the hostel came and banged on everyones doors multiple times screaming "breakfast time!" at 8am. He then proceeding to open our door, turn the light on, and scream again before just walking out of the room. Overall though it was a nice hostel because of its location.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
DublinMurielO, Owner at Globetrotters Tourist Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Hi MariaA2612

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Globetrotters award winning hostel. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay here in Globetrotters Hostel.

St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin is one of the busiest days. The atmosphere is Dublin is great, no matter what the weather is like, luckily there was great weather for this years parade. And all our guests had a great time.

We are ideally located only 2 minutes walk to O’Connell Street, the start of the parade. We are an ideal base from which to explore Dublin, as we are within walking distance to a lot of the top Dublin attractions, shopping streets (Henry Street & Grafton Street) and there are many good restaurants located nearby.

All of our dorm rooms are en-suite. I can understand on this morning when everyone was trying to leave at the same time there would be a queue for the bathroom. I can say that a member of our staff would never bang on guest doors for breakfast. Breakfast is from 8am until 10am so there is absolutely no need for us to bang on doors. I can only assume this was an over enthusiastic guest that morning.

Thank you for booking with us, we really appreciate your business. Next time you come to Dublin BOOK DIRECT for best rates, guests who book direct are kept up to date on all our offers and free draws on Facebook.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the Globetrotters Hostel.

Regards, Muriel O’Connor, Proprietor, Globetrotters award winning city centre hostel

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I came to Dublin in April 2014 with my partner for 3 days. I picked the Globetrotters Hostel as I had read good things about it, and we were certainly not disappointed! The staff at the hostel are all so friendly and helpful, particularly as the agent we had booked through seemed to have messed up our reservation, but the staff were so kind about it and sorted us a room out in no time anyway. Our room was clean, and very different for a hostel room (we stayed in a double, private en-suite) as we had a four poster bed!! The only downside I had was the hot water was not very reliable. However I would really recommend this hostel to anyone. I will definitely return here when I return to Dublin!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi TheSophster23

Thank you for taking the time to offer an opinion of your stay at Globetrotters award winning hostel. Thank you for the lovely comments and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay here in Globetrotters Hostel.

Our reception staff are always happy to help, they understand that a number of things can go wrong with a booking and they always try to help the guest resolve the issue.

We offer a number of different types of rooms in our city centre hostel, from large en-suite dorm rooms to more private en-suite double rooms, something to suit all budgets. Our main aim is to offer clean, comfortable accommodation that offers value for money, we are happy you found our property up to this standard.

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Came to Dublin on a budget, we were expecting bunk beds in a dorm & were given two triple rooms. Basically this was as good as any hotel!
Rooms comfortable & very nicely decorated. Lovely big en suite bathroom & our own little balcony!! Amazing & wouldn't stay anywhere else!
Brilliant location too, highly recommend!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Hi SusieBerry82

We offer a wide variety room types in our city centre hostel, from large dorm rooms to more private en-suite double / triple rooms, something to suit all travellers. Our main aim is to offer clean, comfortable accommodation that offers value for money, we are happy you found our property up to this standard.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

As students, we can't afford the regular prices of hotels. A budget hostel is the perfect solution. I booked in Globetrotters because I heard good things about it from fellow travelers, and it certainly rose to my expectations. We slept in a dorm with 8 people, it was clean and had a nice shower. The public rooms are cosy and there is a fully-equipped kitchen. The staff was very friendly and always available to give some tips about Dublin. Good location, just a 10-minute walk to Temple Bar. Can't expect much more of an 18 euro/night hostel!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Hi Rommy615

Yes we are an ideal base from which to explore Dublin, as we are within walking distance to a lot of the main attractions, shopping streets (Henry Street & Grafton Street) and there are many good restaurants located nearby. Our reception staff are always happy to help guests with any questions they have, help them book tours or even recommend a good restaurant for dinner. Our reception is open 24 hours a day.

Our main aim is to provide clean, comfortable beds that offer value for money. We also offer guests free WiFi in public areas, such as our large dining rooms open to guests during the day and our private garden area. We also offer guests a number of computers in our sitting room to use.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I chose Globetrotters because of the location and the beautiful pictures I had seen of the building. When I arrived, I was not disappointed in the look of the place. On closer inspection though, the pictures on the wall and the mirror were cracked, the wooden beds were pulling away from the bare wall (no plaster behind frame) allowing a very cold draft to funnel right into the bed! When I took a shower, there was a leak in the pipe somewhere causing water to puddle into the carpet of the bedroom.
In fairness, I did report this and the problem seemed to disappear.
The shower had to be run for about 20 minutes before it would get warm enough and the room was icy cold.
There is a kitchen, but it was impossible to use because there were a number of men actually living at the hostel who were always standing around the kitchen and garden smoking and drinking beer. In addition, the kitchen was a pigsty and the toilet adjoining had no seat and stunk of urine. It seemed that in the evening, staff did not do anything to control what was going on in this area. The poor housecleaning staff would come in and try to keep it clean in the morning, but by evening there would be beer cans, cigarette packs and other garbage on the floor.
When I tried to use the laundry (which is located in an odd place in the garage), I put my clothes, soap and 6 pounds in the machine and discovered it just didn't work. I reported it to the desk clerk and was told that he had reported the machine broken a week before and thought it would be fixed by now. He did give me my money back, but now my clothes were not only dirty, but covered in soap and I nor anyone else knew where a launderette would be.
The staff were friendly and helpful always and housekeeping stayed on top of things.
I would never stay there again and would not recommend it. There are too many hostel all over Dublin to accept that kind of neglect.

Room Tip: Away from the garden and kitchen.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank ZaraBinx

Hi ZaraBinx

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of your stay at Globetrotters award winning hostel. I am sorry that you did not find your stay up to standard.

We have a newly installed kitchen with all facilities for guests to use, we do try to ask guests to keep this area clean at all times, to be respectful of other guests using the facilities and use the bins provided. We also have a member of staff who goes into the kitchen during the day to give it a deep clean.

We are a tourist hostel and do not have long term guests, usually the longest guest we would have staying would be around 1 week. We do allow guests to drink in the hostel as long as they are well behaved. Since there is NO SMOKING allowed in the building guests use the private garden to smoke.

Our main aim is to offer guests clean, comfortable beds that offer value for money. Your comments about the maintenance in the rooms has been noted and we will look into this.

We have recently started offering guests laundry facilities and there has been a couple of glitches setting this up, which have been rectified. I am sorry this happened during your stay. There is a laundrette open 7 days a week only a 2 minute walk from the hostel.

Thank you for booking with us, we really appreciate your business. All your comments have been noted and will help us to continually improve our product.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed in the 10 bed dorm. Beds were comfy enough and clean. The bathroom was clean. Service was great, the staff are helpful and friendly, managed to book day tours for us for the next day even though we arrived at night. Tours leave just outside the hostel. Bus to airport is directly outside the hostel which is great, and the hostel is within walking distance to the city centre, temple bar etc. Dave was particularly helpful, he was so nice he even gave me a list of Irish movies to watch!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Hi Jet713

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of your stay at Globetrotters award winning hostel. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay here in Globetrotters Hostel. I will pass on your lovely commends to David.

Our main aim is to offer guests clean, comfortable beds that offer value for money. Thank you for the lovely comments and I will pass on to our cleaning staff.

Our reception staff are always happy to help guests with any questions they have, help them book tours or even recommend a good restaurant for dinner. Our reception is open 24 hours a day. Wild Rover day tours depart from directly outside every day and our staff can help you book tickets. The bus back to the Airport also departs from outside our door.