“Good location, smelly damp room.”

Globetrotters Tourist Hostel
Ranked #42 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
“Good location, smelly damp room.”
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Although the staff were great here, the room wasn't. The hostel wasn't cheap but the carpetted floor outside the bathroom in our dorm was soaking wet and as a result, absolutely stunk the room out with a really bad smell of damp. We complained and apparently someone came to fix it but only made it worse. It was actually squelching. I can deal with basic, but the smell was pretty disgusting. Overall staff were great, room not so.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a private room, which was lovely. The owner was enthusiastic and friendly, and the facilities were very clean. There was a great breakfast offered in the morning (for 8 euros), and the staff were courteous and helpful. Overall, a wonderful place to stay for our few days in Dublin.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I've stayed here on three different occasions and love it. It's quiet, clean, and the beds are comfortable. They serve a traditional irish breakfast, which is a bit too heavy for my taste so I head over to Avoca most mornings. I particularly appreciate the free internet in the common space and the fact that it's not a destination for rowdy people stumbling in drunk at 3am. It's easy to walk around and see the major sights from here and it's also just a couple of blocks from the train and bus station - a great find. When booking, make sure you check the prices at their website - I've saved quite a bit of money booking directly through them rather than through hostelworld.

Room Tip: I'm partial to the room on the 4th floor - it's airy and sunny.
Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

The check in is 2pm, even when there were beds free at 10am.

There are no lockers for your gear, the beds sag in the middle and if you happen to be tall (5ft 9in) or over then then beds are too small. There are no plugs near your bed and you have to hire a towel for 2 Euros. In other hostels I have stayed in, you get it free.

Rooms need improvement as does the decor. I checked into room, not the one I asked for, went out for the day and returned at 1am to find my stuff had been packed up and moved without my knowledge. They had apparently forgotten that the beds and room had been booked by a group.

This is not my first time here but it will be my last. I do not want a drawer that you have to drag out from under a bed to find it makes too much noise and it doesn't lock.

Needs an upgrade!!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Clyde, New Zealand
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I still write this hostel as excellent, everything about it was clean, amazingly comfortable beds and nice rooms, breakfast was delicious but the staff were quite rude, the guy actually got me out of bed at 10.30 pm to get me to change rooms because he had made a mistake and double booked the beds. I refused, he didn't seem to understand that that would not be a normal thing for me to do. Free Internet and computers, would stay again....But staff should make you feel welcome.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank KlareKrazyKiwi
Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

We had a twin room, very clean, comfy beds and pillows and nice spacious bathroom. Was really nice to stay there after being on a four day tour. Staff weren't very helpful though, didn't tell us anything on arrival, just made us pay and gave us our key, didn't explain where anything was. Overall a good stay!

• Stayed July 2012
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed here for three nights. The people running the place were wonderful and the breakfast was amazing. We ended up staying in the townhouse part of the building because we wanted a double room. There was a big shared area and lots of computers to use if you did not have your own. The hostel is very close to the main street and in a nice neighbourhood. There is a pub on the corner that has fantastic food and good music most evenings. It is also very close to the train and bus station.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends