“Well worth a visit!!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Galway, Ireland
“Well worth a visit!!”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had a read a blog that gave such high praise to this bakery I really wanted to try it for myself. It was a bit of a trek from where I live & the weather was particularly bad that day but it was not a wasted journey. As previous reviewers have mentioned the place is chaotic & the staff are like everywhere, and a tad on the disorganised side, but I had expected this so it more added to the place for me than took away from it. The seating is all really on side of the café so everyone is sitting together in a way so it may not be the ideal place if you want a private conversation, but it's definitely cozy. I chose a serrano ham & swiss cheese baguette, just very simple, but it was so so tasty. The bread was delicious & fresh, it's clear that they put great care into choosing their ingredients as the cheese had a beautiful flavour unlike the plasticy tasting stuff that some cafés usually try fob their customers off with and the butter was real butter rather than a spread. Maybe it was my appetite from walking in the rain but I really think they made such a simple sandwich really delicious by just making sure they chose high quality ingredients. It's the perfect place to go if you're on your own as it's such a busy atmosphere you can happily sit there & take in all the goings on of the customers, the mad staff & see into the bakery where it is all happening, and if you get bored with that you can just stare at all their mouthwatering pastries. I would definitely recommend bring some change as you can also purchase breads, cheeses & preserves from their deli - impulse buy central! Do also expect to be waiting for a table, and for a menu, and then to get your order taken, in other words don't go in a hurry but don't let that put you off!

1 Thank AMJC23

“Good food, terrible service”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I went here earlier today for lunch with my mother, we had to ask for menus, we waited for about 15 mins to be served (after having to get up and ask for that too). We ordered two coffees and two sandwiches, which you would think would be quick and straightforward, the coffees came after a few mins, but it took another at 20 mins to get the sandwiches after getting up twice to ask where our order was. Our coffees were long finished by the time we got them. The sandwiches were very tasty and the bread was crusty & delicious. The girl who took our order was very nice and pleasant, but the whole operation seemed very inefficient. There seemed to be loads of staff, looking busy, but helping nobody. Yes it was busy, but it seemed like they didn't know how to handle it.
When we finished I got up to pay, there was a way too cool, rude and arrogant guy at the till chatting to his friend in French, he just about managed to glance at me and ask what I wanted, then resumed his conversation with his pal while taking the money. €18.40 for the whole thing, a bit overpriced. I think it is beyond rude to treat a paying customer like they're interrupting your conversation.

I would go back, but only if the service improves.

“Expensive as Paris”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Heard a lot about this place so popped in for a cake and coffee before going to a movie. Bakery and Deli looks nice and there is a bit of a Paris cafe feel about it. Coffee is good but €10 for 2 chocolate eclairs is outrageous! Don't think I'd be back..

Co. Louth
“Great Parisienne Atmosphere in the centre of Dublin”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Visited here on a Saturday evening recently looking for a bite to eat - it was certainly very busy which may have been as a result of recent publicity on tv - we were seated in the restaurant area at the back which also filled up quickly - service was slow but we were not in a hurry, and did not mind as there was a great buzz around - the food was quite slow in coming - my seafood was fine but nothing out of the ordinary - my daughter had the pasta which she really enjoyed - a trio started playing jazzy-type music down the back which definitely added to the whole atmosphere - not sure if I would go back for a full meal but certainly would call in again for some coffee and the delicious desserts on show. Enjoyed the experience.....

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank ann o
Dublin, Ireland
“Have been a few times but never again”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I live near the Paris Bakery and have given it a chance on a few occasions, but I will never go again. I have only eaten from the bakery, so cannot speak for the rest of the menu, but the quality is excellent. However, that is where it stops. The service is terrible, there are a lot of staff but they all seem to be running around like headless chickens. On two occasions I was left standing and had two stop somebody to ask for a table, and each time my order was not taken for about 20 minutes. Myself and a friend had coffee and cake, however our coffee arrived with no cake and it took another 15 minutes and catching the attention of two members of staff before our cakes arrived (they also didn't arrive at the same time), so we could not enjoy our coffee with our cake.

Still trying to give this place a chance, I have bought take-out from the bakery on two occasions. On the first occasion my order came to €14, however they have a €15 minimum limit for card payment which seems excessive. When I said I only had cards the staff member cheekily suggested I just by something else too. On the last occasion the staff member was so rude and insulting to me when I asked a question about a cake I left feeling physically angry. Apart from being insulting to me, when I went to pay he charged me more that the ticket price. I brought his attention to this and he told me it was wrong and he would change it. After how I was treated I was not willing to take this, he simply replied to me in a very rude manner "it is only 30 cent difference".

Nice cakes but incredibly poor service.

2 Thank Brian_Parnell