“5 Star hotel not 5 star breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Adare, Ireland
“5 Star hotel not 5 star breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Stayed at The Merrion on on a Saturday in July, the hotel is great from the time you meet the front door staff to being checked in, we a had a king room in the Garden wing, the room was a great size and truly a 5 star room. The hotel itself is immiculate and the decor is great, the gardens are worth a short explore. We didnt try the health suit so we cant comment. The only downside is Breakfast, when we booked we wernt given the option to include it in the rate, we knew the cost €29! per person however expected something special at that cost, breakfast is served in the cellar (not the prettiest part of the hotel), we were sat at our table and the server was more interested in pointing out the cost than anything else, she was fairly abrupt which set the tone, we both order full irish as we were hungry, full irish arrived, it is the first time that I have seen 1 sausage, 1 piece of bacon, 1/2 a mushroom, 1/2 a tomatoe, a piece of some sort of bread, and two poaced eggs called a breakfast, it wouldnt have filled a child. The eggs tasted of nothing and my wife wouldnt eat hers and asked for scrambled egg, they didnt take the plate away they left the poaced eggs which wernt wanted and brought a side plate with scrambled eggs (which my wife said were nice), a man asked if everything was ok with Breakfast, I commented on the size of Breakfast however that was that. When we returned to our room we had a knock and two staff brought in coffee and buckfizz, it was 10 in the morning so we had the coffee.I would have preferred not to be charged for Breakfast however that clearly wasnt an option. We checked out and again the staff were atentive. Overall a great hotel however please avoid the breakfast as it dosnt fit to the rest of the hotel experience.

Room Tip: Dont buy water in Hotel before you retire for the evening as the turndown service provides this.
1 Thank sean67c
Manager_PMacCann, Director of Sales at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay with us.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your experience at breakfast in our Cellar Restaurant which I was disappointed to read. It is very apparent that you did not receive our usual levels of attention and care and for this I would like to apologise. Rest assured that I have shared your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager along with our Executive Chef and they join me in hoping that we will have the opportunity of restoring your faith in the breakfast experience at some point in the future.

I am glad that on the whole you had an enjoyable experience and enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments and again I hope that it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Marquard, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

The Merrion was an absolute bliss to stay at.
We travelled with an 8 week old infant , and our every need was taken care off.
Attention to detail, is what the Merrion is all about. We arrived to a room with a
baby crib, a baby gown as well as an entire baby range of toiletries.
The staff are incredible and were empathetic to us as young parents.
The Patrick Guilbaud was also exceptional, with service and quality of food worth their Michelin stars.
One of the best hotel experiences we have encounterd on a global scale.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the absolutely fantastic review following you and your family’s recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read you lovely comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel. I have shared your feedback with my colleagues and they are very pleased that you appreciated their attentive care so much.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again and that your visit then will be as memorable as the last.

County Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

The understated elegance of Georgian Dublin still survives at the Merrion Hotel. Standards of service are simply outstanding from the smallest detail of room service to the wonderful Art Tea (an absolute must). What a pleasure it is to see the simply outstanding collection of Irish art spaced around the hotel along with historical artifacts and photos. Take a stroll in the lovely garden and pay your respects to the James Joyce statue before venturing out into the Georgian surrounds that await you.

As others have noted the rooms provide for an outstandingly omfortable stay. Everything one is likely to need is provided to ensure guest comfort.

The hotel has a connecting door to the wonderful Michelin two star Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud' (see separate review) but as all great hotels the residents bar is able to provide excellent bar food for hours after a return from a night discovering th city.

Our only negative was the standard of breakfast provided. Not nearly as good as we had experienced in other Hotels in Ireland. Hot Irish breakfast plates were placed on our table while we were still eating our cereal and the fried breakfast was very disappointing in comparison with far cheaper establishments.

Overall the Merrion is clearly a five-star experience and Dublins finest hotel. We would have no hesitation in staying there again. We would however take breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you can afford to stay at The Merrion have no fear as you are guaranteed a superb room and truly...
1 Thank Azeuro O
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review posted recently and for your detailed feedback.

Thank you for the feedback about your experience in the Cellar Restaurant at breakfast, we are continually striving to improve on our guest experience and the amenities and services we offer and your feedback is vital so as to maintain this. We listen to our guests and I want to apologise to you for the shortcomings you experienced which I have shared with the relevant management here at the Hotel.

However, I am very pleased that your stay with us was a memorable one and both my colleagues and I appreciate your very kind comments which are very encouraging indeed.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again.

NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

If you're looking for a great hotel in Dublin, this is the place!!!! The service is spectacular. The rooms are comfortable. A/C works great, free WiFi. The restaurants are great. The spa is great. It is centrally located to great food, pubs and shops. Trust me, this is a hotel you want to stay at!

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with the entire team. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

At the advice of our bicycle tour operator, Backroads, we booked The Merrion. The service was impeccable starting with the doormen in greatcoats and top hats. Reception was cordial and we were given a guided tour of the well equipped hotel. We received a complimentary upgrade to spacious, immaculate room facing the Parliament. We were a short walk to Trinity college, Christ church cathedral, and the Guinness storehouse. Dinner at the cellar bar was excellent. My fiancee's fish and chips were the best ever, and I had the chef's special that night, wild boar. Our concierge recommended an excellent pub nearby.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Merrion and that you had such a memorable dining experience in our Cellar Restaurant on one of the evenings.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Setauket, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

We chose to stay in the Merrion as a special treat for the last night of our vacation in Ireland. We had experienced a variety of accommodations during our trip, including hotels, bed and breakfasts, and even a castle. We were pleased with all of our accommodations, as we had researched them well on Tripadvisor and other sites prior to booking. Staying at the Merrion was the absolute highlight. I have to say that the SERVICE at the Merrion was one of the things that made our trip so memorable, in addition to the locale, the rooms, and the amenities.

The young lady at the front desk who checked us in was extremely helpful. It was very comforting, after 10 days of touring, hiking, and driving on the left side of the road for the first time in our lives, (!), to be immediately checked in and upgraded to a larger room because our room was not yet ready. This young lady, named Kate, escorted us directly to our room and gave a friendly tutorial about various features of the room with which we might need assistance. This was very unique, as sometimes you do struggle with how to turn on the lights, how to work the television, etc., when you check into a room, and these seemingly minor issues were worked out in advance for us.

The room was quiet as a vault. I had requested a quiet room, and I did not hear a sound coming from any of the other patrons of the hotel while I was trying to sleep. I slept in the newer wing of the hotel, and perhaps it was soundproofed. Regardless, as a light sleeper, I was very grateful for this. The bed was very comfy, with some kind of foam topper included in the mattress. This also contributed to a full night's sleep, which is not always easy to get in hotels.

We did not have dinner in the Merrion, but chose to dine out instead. We did, however, have room service breakfast, as our flight home was scheduled for early in the morning. The breakfast was elegant and served with extra special touches which I will try to show when I figure out how to upload pictures on Tripadvisor!

When it came time to leave, we were bundled off efficiently into a cab waiting outside. All the staff were lovely. Staying at the Merrion was a fitting end to a dream vacation in Ireland. My husband, who is usually not easily impressed with hotels, was particularly impressed with this one. It is my hope that we can return to Dublin someday, and that we can spend more time in this gorgeous hotel.

1 Thank janmarie1013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us so comprehensively.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Your words are so kind and I can assure you that they have given the entire team a great boost. They all join me in thanking you for sharing your appreciation with us.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege and the pleasure of welcoming you back again next time you are in Dublin.

Calabasas, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

If you want to be treated like royalty, stay at the Merrion Hotel in Dublin. The rooms (not only the suite which half of our group was lucky enough to stay in, but the regular rooms as well) were absolutely beautiful and comfortable enough where you weren't worried about breaking anything just by touching it. They even turn down your bed for you in the afternoon and leave you slippers and a bottle of water! Not to mention the food which was some of the best I've ever had in my life and that which was fit for a king (or a lot of kings with the amount they give you). The indoor pool downstairs was very clean and really nice, and the attached sauna was small but very relaxing with the minty clove aroma. Lastly, the location is perfect. It's in close proximity of pretty much any tourist destination in Dublin. I would recommend this place to anyone that wants to make their Dublin experience an incredible one. Say hi to Dave the doorman for me!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Hannah H
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with the entire team here. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your experience here at The Merrion and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

I have also passed on your regards to our Commissionaire Dave!