“Amazing hotel in Dublin”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for only one night but I wish it had been longer. This hotel was wonderful. The rooms and beds were clean and comfortable, the concierge was very informative and helpful and the garden was just beautiful. Location is perfect too - close to many great attractions and hotels.
The only reason I am giving this 4 stars instead of 5 was that the WiFi service was terrible. I had planned to do some work from my room but was unable to due to really terrible WiFi connection.

2  Thank Kholihan
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate your wonderful comments about my colleagues at concierge who were thrilled to read them. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and that you have more time to relax and enjoy The Merrion.

I was both disappointed and sorry to read about your difficulties connecting to the Wi Fi network particularly as our supply is at a very large band width. I have discussed your feedback with our IT manager and our Service Provider as Wi-Fi connectivity should be seamless here at the Hotel and we will take the necessary action to avoid any re-occurrence of this.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

Peter Mac Cann

Write a ReviewReviews (3,526)

Reviewed June 25, 2014

perfect stay and perfect place;) close to everything , a wonderfull ( large ) pool , large rooms, nice garden and especially wonderfull staff: every one had a smile everytime . As it was my wife bithday , we had on top of that a fruit basket , some chocolates; a garden view, the bikes to ride to phoenix park were free; etcetcetc

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I'm slightly ambivalent about the Merrion. It's a beautiful building in a great location but the service provided at the front of house lets the place down.
A luxury hotel needs to be run smoothly at all times, not to have to keep calling to remind the staff that things need to be done. Apologies are swift - and generous - but better not get to that stage. The front desk needs to sharpen its act and the porters at the front need to be more American - greet, chat rather than looking like bouncers lurking around.
Rooms are lovely, well appointed (but come on - do you think your guests want instant coffee? A press and some ground coffee in the rooms, please) and everything is excellent. The 2-star Michelin in the building is worth a try; the Cellar restaurant does great seafood but needs some marketing as it was a bit of Crypt when we ate there. Beautiful garden. I'd definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank baribegum

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and the trouble to post a review following your recent stay with us.

While I was pleased that you rated your stay with us very highly, I was disappointed to read your feedback concerning certain aspects of your stay. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your comments in more detail if I may and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly here at the Hotel or on generalmanager@merrionhotel.com.

I hope to hear from you soon and in the meantime thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I took my girlfriend to Dublin for the night, and booked the champagne getaway. When we arrived, we were informed that we got an upgrade to a junior suite (I think I had pulled the heart strings a little...)
The room was so good we didn't really want to leave. It was huge, and everything is lavish and luxurious. The bed is about 2feet higher than any other I have stayed in, and the turn down team made everything look pristine.
We ordered champagne to the room and it arrived promptly and with a smile. And this is the USP of the Merrion - the service is out of this world. Example - you leave car with hotel and they take it away and park it for you. I left my coat in the car, my stupid fault. I told the concierge that I needed my coat, he was immediately on the phone to get it retrieved and apolgised for the delay. I said "Don't worry, I'm an eejit" - he wouldn't have it. He remained apologetic for the delay, all 2mins of it. But his apologising wasn't OTT or uncomfortable, just a genuine fella doing a great job.
The spa is awesome too, infinity pool is terrific so relaxing and therapeutic. Breakfast was delicious, really good quality - which frankly you come to take for granted.
Oh, and the Cellar Bar is wonderfully atmospheric.
Book a stay in this hotel, hope for an upgrade (if you aren't lucky enough to have a spare 1,000EUR) and revel in the luxury.

Room Tip: Get lucky with a suite
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael M

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review following you and your girlfriend’s recent stay with us here at The Merrion.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did and I am delighted that you found the service so genuine and attentive.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

We stayed in the Merrion Hotel as we were celebrating a graduation. The lobby has beautiful furniture and sofas where one can sit down and relax. Afternoon tea is well worth having and is an experience that is not costly for the service you get. The room was great and had everything one could want but its design and colour of materials used made the room into a room I can still remember. The service was top class and the breakfast was as expected great..I would rank it as the best hotel in dublin to stay in.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ml042014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the absolutely fantastic review following you and your family’s stay with us in August.

I was delighted to read your lovely comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel along with your words of praise which are very kind indeed. I have shared your comments with my colleagues and they are very pleased that you appreciated their attentive care so much.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again and that your visit then will be as memorable as the last.

Thank you again for your words of encouragement.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Merrion hotel is rated #1 at Tripadvisor and also highly recommended by my friends from the US. Stayed 2 nights at their Deluxe King room.
Staff at reception, gym, restaurant are friendly and ready to help. The gym opens at 0630 but they made an exception for me to go at 5am.
Reception guy name Tomas is very helpful, upon seeing me at 5am walking to the gym, he followed me there as he's worried the gym staff in charge has probably fell asleep/not there.

Couldn't rate it 5 star as my room air-condition failed to work. Maintenance guy came first evening couldn't rectify it. Next morning I rang reception and the manager in charge told me she'll see to it.
We came back after a day's trip and air-condition still fails to work. Told them and maintenance guy came again. I got a standing fan but it was noisy and unable to make the room cool down. We were sweating in our room on both nights. Upon checking out, told the friendly reception that they shouldn't give out room that has faulty air-condition. He apologize but I felt unimpressed by this whole episode. Merrion could have done a lot better.
Good location, wifi works well and very good restaurant Patrick Guibaud but please make reservation in advance.

Room Tip: Avoid room 390 till they fix the air-condition.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank SuperShan1

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at The Merrion.

I was disappointed to read that you experienced issues with your A/C during your stay and would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience caused. This is not good enough and I have been assured by our Maintenance Manager that this issue has now be resolved.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

just what the dr ordered. we have had lovely time as usual, we love it here, flights in and out great, hotel never lets us down, well done the emerald island, will always return, home fro home....bless you xx

Room Tip: the best !
2  Thank CelticPeople1

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.