“Old world finery with modern twist”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed here overnight for rugby weekend. The concierge is extremely professional even remembers your name on checking out. The hotel is beautiful with large drawing rooms and blazing fires. I had the afternoon tea which was a nice experience: I would highly recommend. Comfortable room with garden view. Comfortable bed and nice bathroom. I missed breakfast so cannot comment. The hotel is a little pricey and the room service menu was a bit pricey. However if you want indulgence and a memorable experience worth the little extra. Best recommendation- take walk around the inner gardens and spend time reviewing their art collection.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and your visit to our Drawing Rooms and of course our Art Afternoon Tea which is always a favourite of our guests. I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon too!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We arrived on the 30th of January only to be greeted with an amazing welcome from your warm, highly skilled concierge team headed by Sean. Such professionalism and attention. Tom was also so attentive in making sure our car was parked to perfection and he is such a pleasant person. We felt like royalty to say the least! We then proceeded to check in with your very friendly reception staff and subsequently escorted to our amazing room overlooking the internal gardens. One of our requests was to have a relatively quiet tranquil room given my wife is a very light sleeper and needless to say, you exceeded our expectations. My wife has been very supportive lately due to my recent illness and I wanted this to be a special experience. Needless to say, Sheila graced us with this amazing room and I am eternally grateful to her for giving us this wonderful privilege.

Dinner on Thursday was something else. Our first port of call was the cellar bar where we enjoyed a couple of pre dinner drinks served by Shane. He exudes fantastic qualities including warmth, positive attitude and a high standard of service. A very true professional. Dinner was amazing and the service second to none. We could not fault our food at all! This may sound cliched, however the overall experience was just perfect. I also have to mention that both breakfast experiences were again, wonderful. Our hot plates were cooked to perfection and the service yet again, of the highest standard.

I also have to say that our room was regularly presented to us beautifully both during the day and in the evening when we were left the odd treat by way of bottled water, fruit plates and our bed turned down with such impeccable detail.

The Merrion has a certain calm that I cannot describe. We have been fortunate over the years to stay in various destinations but none that have a uniqueness such as yours. It is not pretentious in any way and just has a certain feel that I cannot put into words. You have obviously achieved something special and once again, I thank you sincerely for a truly wonderful two day visit.

I understand that I will not have mentioned everyone and apologise for this. Again Mr MacCann, sincere congratulations to you and your team for putting the Merrion in our opinion, at the top of the tree and beyond.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review following you and your wife’s recent stay with us which I was delighted to read.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. I have passed on in particular your kind words to Sean, Tom, Sheila & Shane. It really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did and I hope that your recuperation is going well after your recent illness.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We have stayed at a number of five star hotels in Dublin Centre but this is the best. Lovely hotel with a traditional homely feel. Dined in the Cellar restaurant and the food was excellent. Also, used the spa - hot stone massage, which I can definitely recommend

Room Tip: Liked the Garden rooms, near to the spa and the cellar restaurant
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsSAyrshire
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visits to our Cellar Restaurant and the Tethra Spa.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I've visited Dublin many times in the last twenty years and had never stayed here - a colleague said she would stay there for our trip so I decided to join her. From the moment I arrived I felt so at home. The staff were exceptional - polite and very welcoming and helpful. The public rooms - 'drawing rooms' are just lovely with open fires and comfortable settees and easy chairs. Overall it's shabby chic without being shabby - it is wonderful. My room was super - easy room temperature control, a window I could - and did - open, a warm towel rail in the bathroom, a fantastic shower, all mod cons including Asprey toiletries (I've only ever come across these at Gleneagles and they're lovely), and a really comfortable and good night's sleep. Thank you to the Merrion - I'll definitely be back and will gladly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Minnie12359

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at The Merrion and for your wonderful feedback.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the open turf fires in our Drawing Rooms. I have shared your encouraging comments with all the team here who join me in thanking you. We are all genuinely delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and we look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel and could not have been more pleased. Although it has an unassuming entrance, inside is lovely. Our room was cheerful and the bathroom was frankly the largest we have encountered in European hotels, as well as nicely appointed. Dublin in January was chilly but the common areas of the hotel all had lovely warming fires burning throughout the day and night. Service was impeccable - waitstaff in the bars and downstairs restaurant were friendly and helpful. The doormen were very knowledgeable. The hotel location can't be beat!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel. I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed in this hotel last week after a long haul flight. We were exhausted, but we got an early check in. What a luxury!!! We have stayed here several times before including the night before our sons wedding so we knew what to expect but this time surpassed our expectations. Thank you to the Merrion Hotel for looking after us so well.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following you recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read your generous comments about the Hotel and I have shared them with all my colleagues. It really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a stay as much as you did.

We are honoured to be your hotel of choice when visiting Dublin and I hope it won’t be too long before we have the opportunity and the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

This hotel is by far the best hotel in Dublin, the Conceirge, Reception and Restaurant Staff are truely a pleasure to deal with. They are so professional, couteous and helpful. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will be back. The food was exceptional, everything was just perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel throughout your stay. Your words are so kind and I can assure you that they have given the entire team a great boost. They all join me in thanking you for sharing your appreciation with us.

I do hope that it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Merrion.