“Afternoon tea not to be missed!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea not to be missed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I would just like to say thank you to all the staff at the Merrion hotel for a wonderful stay. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anybody. You really are made to feel that nothing is too much trouble. If I had to sum this hotel up, I would say that it reminds me of Fairmont hotels in terms of its excellent service and attention to detail, except with even friendlier staff.

The afternoon tea is definitely not to be missed! Sitting in one of the hotel's large comfy sofas in front of a magnificent open fire - while it was cold and windy outside! - enjoying a posh afternoon tea was a highlight of my stay:-) It was posh, but friendly at the same time! (You do need to book in advance for the afternoon tea. I was lucky as somebody had cancelled.)

I was also delighted by the hotel's artwork. They house an impressive varied collection spread throughout the hotel which is recorded superbly in a glossy catalogue which you can keep.

I have no complaints whatsoever about the food or the room we stayed in. I was staying with my 12 year old son and because we needed a twin room I was concerned that we may end up in a less attractive room. Instead the room was perfect. We were in room 325 which overlooked the hotel's gardens and charming rectangular pond. The room was a decent size, the mini bar was very well stocked and there was a flat screen TV - not overly large, but perfectly adequate, plus all the usual necessities: iron, hairdryer etc. Likewise, the bathroom was fine. I liked the modern all-glass shower cubicle.

Breakfast is very good :-) My son loved his full Irish breakfast, whilst I was more than happy with the buffet selection. In any event, the staff are very willing to get you whatever you would like. The service truly is second to none.

Although our trip was brief, we did try out the gym and swimming pool. There's not a lot you can say about a treadmill! It worked and was fine! The swimming pool is a good size. My son really liked it and said the water was the clearest he had ever been in for a pool. He wears goggles and could see the whole length under water! Its styled like a Roman sunken pool - to my mind at least - with a big fresco painting at one end on the wall. All very nicely maintained and very clean. I didn't have an opportunity to try the spa. I am saving that treat for next time perhaps!

In terms of location, the hotel is directly opposite the Irish Government's Parliament, as well as some art galleries. It is very convenient for town and the sights in general. I really enjoyed the stroll I had with my son around St Stephen's Park - even though it was raining! Although the hotel is lovely, I did miss it as I first went past, as it does not have a very showy exterior like some other hotels. However, there are doormen outside, so if you just look for them, you can't miss it!

I will definitely be coming back to this hotel when I have the opportunity :-)

Room Tip: There are rooms in the modern wing and in the main Georgian house, so you will need to decide what a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gill_Walsh2013
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us so comprehensively.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Your words are so kind and I can assure you that they have given the entire team a great boost. They all join me in thanking you for sharing your appreciation with us. I am particularly pleased that you found the time to enjoy our Art Afternoon Tea along with our collection as it is a favourite of our guests.

Thank you again for your encouraging words and we are very happy that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to The Merrion during your next visit to Dublin.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Merrion is a great hotel in a perfect location for exploring Dublin. We arrived early, but they whisked away our car and bags to let us head out on the town. That theme of outstanding, friendly, and efficient service continued throughout our stay, from our constant requests for directions, through the front desk service (including exchanging dollars for euros at a good rate with no fee), through the restaurant. Our room was not huge but was comfortable and well-appointed, with high end fixtures and separate tub and shower. We faced the internal courtyard, which was quiet and peaceful in spite of the fact that you are in the middle of a large city. The lobby and lobby bar were a lovely, welcoming taste of this Georgian neighborhood. Continental breakfast was included with our package and was excellent -- fresh fruit, yogurt, baked goods, and the best homemade granola of our trip. We also had dinner in the hotel restaurant and found the food and service both exceptional and well-priced. An overall excellent stay, and we would recommend The Merrion to anyone looking for a comfortable, convenient, friendly five-star experience in the heart of Dublin.

Room Tip: Not sure if the rooms that face the street are quiet, but our courtyard-facing room was extremely qu...
2 Thank curlyjoeNJ
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently which I was delighted to read.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with all the team here. It is extremely heartening to read your words of praise for my colleagues as each and every one of them strive to provide a memorable experience for our guests.

Palos Verdes Estates, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Lots of charm in this older but well maintained hotel. Lovely cave-like bar downstairs.
Wonderful dining room also. We had dinner and breakfast there. Close walking distance to St. Stephen's Green and onward to Trinity College.

2 Thank Pat S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Charlottesville VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is located in the Georgian section of Dublin. The discreet sign is easy to miss, but that is part of the charm of this first class hotel. From the moment of our arrival, everything was delight, smooth and professional. The room was lovely with a fantastic bed, marble bath with separate tub and shower, and very quiet. It was an easy walk from here to the sights and sounds of Dublin, with the National Art Gallery across the street. High tea and cocktails are served in the drawing rooms and outdoor patio [which overlooks the lovely courtyard gardens. The spa has good services and a quiet, calm atmosphere, decent price for a good therapeutic massage. A buffet breakfast is offered at a fairly steep price for what is offered- basically a continental breakfast, but it is convenient.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pjd190
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and you have as an enjoyable stay as the last.

Thank you again for your kind words.

NM USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We spent two wonderful nights at the Merrion for a "splurge" Anniversary celebration, with the breakfast included and a Brown Thomas shopping promotion. Staff were uniformly excellent, the room was quiet and very comfortable. The Hotel was sold out but it felt at times like we had the place to ourselves. The breakfast could meet any need and the basement breakfast room was well appointed and serviced by attentive staff. We had a very good first night meal at the Cellar Bar. The "23" room on the main level is open 24/7 for guests to get drinks and food. We has some late night snacks in the lovely setting: understated, refined elegance.
Location is great for walking to the main sites. The shopping package was worth it, and we ended up with a nice sweater from Brown Thomas.
Taxis: 30 euro from airport to Merrion, 25 euro from Merrion to airport: not sure why the fares were different.
The only con: it is expensive.
One other note: the Merrion is looking to expand into an adjacent building, but I think any construction is at least a year out.

2 Thank tjstjs
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and we are honoured that you and your spouse chose to stay with us to celebrate your special occasion.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Thank you again for your most encouraging words.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Positives - great location, excellent swimming pool, great breakfast (though first morning, the service needed a bit of a prod) and special mention to the front door team who took away and brought back our car each day (the parking is well worth it even at E20 per night).

What wasn't so good? The rooms in the newer block felt a bit dated (eg showers poor by today's standards for a hotel of this price) and because the old part of the hotel is used for afternoon tea and only has the very expensive rooms, you don't feel really part of a great old style hotel. Front of house OK but no better and despite arriving with our luggage at 10.00, knowing rooms wouldn't be ready until 3pm, when we returned at 3, one of our rooms still wasn't ready.

We enjoyed our stay, but without feeling it was exceptional. That said, we did leave comments and will give credit to the follow up from the hotel within a couple of days which shows that they do care about their standards. The rooms we were in are apparently in line for a refurbishment, addition of coffee machines, which would have made a big difference.

Room Tip: Check status of refurbishment
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ian H
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review following your recent stay with us here at The Merrion.

Firstly, may I say how genuinely appreciative I am of you taking the time to post a review and for completing our Guest Questionnaire. Further to my colleague Garrett Power’s conversation with you, I am glad that you recognise that we do listen to our guests and your comments have been taken onboard fully.

I am pleased that you all enjoyed your stay with us on the whole and all of us are delighted that we will have the privilege of welcoming you back again. As mentioned please do not hesitate to contact either myself or Garrett if we can be of any assistance in that regard.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

The Merrion is located beautifully in Dublin. It is in walking distance to Trinity College,Dublin Castle,Great restaurants,shops and bars and many other sites in a beautiful part of town. The brick townhouses are beautiful and the room was beautifully appointed and very comfortable. The staff is extremely friendly and very helpful.
The public rooms were beautiful and although we did not have high tea, it looked fabulous!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JillSL212
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.