“God help you if you are trying to book some rooms”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Wexford, Ireland
“God help you if you are trying to book some rooms”
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Trying to book 3 rooms for next Tuesday night, receptionist told me she could not do this and put me through to a central call centre, I had to wait about 7 minutes to be spoken to. Then the man on the other end of the phone couldn't understand the name of the hotel and asked me to spell it, then he got the dates wrong then he couldn't access any corporate rate. 5 star hotels do NOT have reservation services like this. I was hoping to bring quite a bit of buisness there way......bad luck you guys.
I'll go somewhere else thanks.
Sean ferguson
Kenwood

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank Sean F
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I was most disappointed to read of your experience while trying to make a reservation with us recently.

Having followed up with our colleagues from Leading Hotel’s of the World’s Central Reservations Centre, they have no record of a call queue time of seven minutes. They are however investigating the matter further and will revert in due course. To assist with this perhaps you would be so kind as to contact me directly on generalmanager@merrionhotel.com with more details. In the meantime, for assistance with any future bookings please contact either myself or our Reservations Manager Sheila Lacey on info@merrionhotel.com where I can assure you that your request will be dealt with swiftly.

I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you to stay with us at The Merrion and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Sadly I had caught a flu before I arrived at The Merrion so I could not enjoy all its pleasures. However the rooms where wonderful, and the room service great, it is a long time since I actually had a moving table bought to my room. Staff where great and I would love to return when i was well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank honeyandwine
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and that you will be at the fullest of your health!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 10, 2013

his is a top class hotel in a great location. It feels different from chain 5 stars as it feels more personable. I loved the great artwork around the hotel.

The rooms were lovely. It is right beside a Michelin starred restaurant which i would recommend for lunch.

The hotel is expensive would i would recommend if you want a 5 star experience in Dublin.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 831mike1922
Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I decided to add a few days in Dublin to our European trip and selected The Merrion Hotel based on the pictures, location and reviews.

The hotel is first rate, very relaxing and quiet (despite the central location).

The biggest plus is the staff - they are all very professional, helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them, they were so keen and it is so good being able to talk to professionals!

We were in the "cheap" rooms with a street view at the side of the hotel. The room was spacious and comfortable - not really "luxury" but perfectly adequate. You wouldn't mind spending a whole day in the room.

The restaurant is very good. We loved the breakfast - make sure you go for the "Irish" option and try the soda bread.

There are several nice lounges on the ground floor with comfy seats and log fires - even in summer (I am told).

The only negatives relate to some of the fixtures and fittings. The TVs are from Y2000 (they are tiny are belong in a museum), the gym has an odd collection of machines which were cheap when new and age has not been kind to them and the changing room in the spa is also very 3* mid 1990's.

So in a wrap, it isn't umber luxury but it is a nice nice hotel and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try and get a courtyard/garden view.
2 Thank BertBantham
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at The Merrion and for your comprehensive feedback.

I have shared your wonderful comments with all the team here who join me in thanking you. We are all genuinely delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and I am also appreciative of your constructive feedback about other elements of your stay. We are continuously striving to improve on the amenities and facilities we offer our guests at The Merrion and your feedback is vital for this process.

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This will have been our third time to stay here and while I would refer you to our previous very positive review of the hotel. Please make sure to stay away from room 181. It may be offered to you as an upgrade as it is in the original end of the hotel, but it has a terrible view, its decor is poor and overall is well short of what they can give you as a five star hotel. It is also below another room which has very poor soundproofing between them and is above a private dining room in the restaurant. The same I suspect may apply to room 180 which is in the location but looks out onto the main street which will be better than the roof tops.

Room Tip: Room 181 has terrible view and has soundproofing issues, and be wary of room 180. Maybe check if the...
2 Thank B_Dublin
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us last weekend.

Firstly I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay with us once more, we are honoured. I was disappointed that the room you were allocated on this occasion was not to your liking and I have taken your feedback on board fully. Further to my colleague Barry McCann’s conversation with you and subsequent email; I would also like to apologise for the noise disturbance you experienced due to a function being held at our adjoining restaurant. I am only too aware of how frustrating that must have been and for that I am truly sorry.

However, I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay with us again and if Barry or I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was booked for my wife's 40th birthday almost 9 months before. I booked the 'Shop in Style' package. Communication with Martin in the Reservations Department reassured me that all was going to be well from the outset.

When we arrived at check-in, we were told we were going to be upgraded and the room on the first floor we were shown to was amazing - from the huge bed to the sofa and armchairs and the equally large bathroom. It was understated luxury and we were always made to feel special by every member of staff.

Nothing was too much trouble, and after a busy day shopping on Saturday and making use of our voucher for Brown Thomas, we returned and telephoned room service for some mince pies and hot chocolate. But never before have we been served hot chocolate from a silver pot and the mini mince pies were delicious. Even the roses in the tray dressings were so perfect we didn't think they were real. If you did want afternoon tea, they looked amazing, but suggest you book in advance as we were advised they get really popular.

The breakfast on the first morning was very impressive and everything was cooked to perfection especially the poached eggs. Dinner in the Cellar Restaurant was disappointing average and perhaps a little overpriced. Breakfast on the Sunday morning was chaotic to put it mildly and long queues to be seated. We can only advise people to go for breakfast earlier than 9.30am (we were advised of this in a note in our room), but who wants to get up early on a Sunday morning... Perhaps room service is the answer.

But each night our bed was turned down, pillows angled on the mattress and a towel and slippers placed on the floor ready for you to retire.

We made use of the swimming pool, sauna and steam room and had it to ourselves for almost a good hour on the Saturday afternoon.

Yes, there were a few niggles but nothing worth complaining about and overall this was a majestic hotel and if we were ever to return to Dublin, this would without question, be the only hotel we would stay in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KatandSte
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently following your stay with us over the festive period. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us so comprehensively.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I have shared your kind words with the entire team. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Thank you again.

Clonakilty, Ireland
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Where to start ?? Was it the valet parking, the Suite we were upgraded to, the food or was it the service?? From start to finish this hotel had it all, a standard that other hotels in the same star rating only dream of aspiring to. I have no words that can describe the sheer bliss while staying here. The staff of the Merrion should be an example to all on how to treat guests they were so professional courteous and went above and beyond in making this the best weekend in Dublin we have ever had. A special thank you to Matthew The Sales Director "your the Man" and thank you to all the staff especially the room attendants your turn down service is outstanding. When in Dublin there is only one place to stay and that's at The Merrion simply the Best Hotel in Ireland.

Room Tip: Have a Meal/Drink in The cellar Bar and restaurant what a treat
1 Thank townhouse88
Dear Guest,

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.