“In a class of its own”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was booked for my wife's 40th birthday almost 9 months before. I booked the 'Shop in Style' package. Communication with Martin in the Reservations Department reassured me that all was going to be well from the outset.

When we arrived at check-in, we were told we were going to be upgraded and the room on the first floor we were shown to was amazing - from the huge bed to the sofa and armchairs and the equally large bathroom. It was understated luxury and we were always made to feel special by every member of staff.

Nothing was too much trouble, and after a busy day shopping on Saturday and making use of our voucher for Brown Thomas, we returned and telephoned room service for some mince pies and hot chocolate. But never before have we been served hot chocolate from a silver pot and the mini mince pies were delicious. Even the roses in the tray dressings were so perfect we didn't think they were real. If you did want afternoon tea, they looked amazing, but suggest you book in advance as we were advised they get really popular.

The breakfast on the first morning was very impressive and everything was cooked to perfection especially the poached eggs. Dinner in the Cellar Restaurant was disappointing average and perhaps a little overpriced. Breakfast on the Sunday morning was chaotic to put it mildly and long queues to be seated. We can only advise people to go for breakfast earlier than 9.30am (we were advised of this in a note in our room), but who wants to get up early on a Sunday morning... Perhaps room service is the answer.

But each night our bed was turned down, pillows angled on the mattress and a towel and slippers placed on the floor ready for you to retire.

We made use of the swimming pool, sauna and steam room and had it to ourselves for almost a good hour on the Saturday afternoon.

Yes, there were a few niggles but nothing worth complaining about and overall this was a majestic hotel and if we were ever to return to Dublin, this would without question, be the only hotel we would stay in.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatandSte
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently following your stay with us over the festive period. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us so comprehensively.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I have shared your kind words with the entire team. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Thank you again.

There are newer reviews for The Merrion Hotel

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Where to start ?? Was it the valet parking, the Suite we were upgraded to, the food or was it the service?? From start to finish this hotel had it all, a standard that other hotels in the same star rating only dream of aspiring to. I have no words that can describe the sheer bliss while staying here. The staff of the Merrion should be an example to all on how to treat guests they were so professional courteous and went above and beyond in making this the best weekend in Dublin we have ever had. A special thank you to Matthew The Sales Director "your the Man" and thank you to all the staff especially the room attendants your turn down service is outstanding. When in Dublin there is only one place to stay and that's at The Merrion simply the Best Hotel in Ireland.

Room Tip: Have a Meal/Drink in The cellar Bar and restaurant what a treat
1  Thank townhouse88

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights last weekend, and we wished it could have been more. From the moment we stood on the first step to the entrance to the moment we left was to experience service at its best. Friendly (but not familiar), polite (but not servile), helpful (whenever asked) and smiling (but not forced) are descriptions which aren't usually attributable to all the staff of a hotel. But they were here!

Added to welcoming public rooms, a splendid bedroom, a relaxing garden and an excellent Cellar Restaurant (for breakfast and dinner), this makes the Merrion the hotel where we have felt most "at home".

Organisations often proclaim "People are our greatest asset", and when you are in contact with them you wonder! At the Merrion they don't make that claim. But they should - and teach others how to do it!!

It may be more expensive than many other hotels in Dublin - but it certainly gives value for money.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the garden - nice and quiet!
2  Thank sigmatrain

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the absolutely wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. I must say it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did and thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post it; we all greatly appreciate it. Your words are extremely encouraging and have given the entire team a big boost.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here on my own for a few days in Dublin and couldn't have been more pleased. I truly was "treated like a queen".The service was outstanding - in every instance the staff went above and beyond to be helpful, and in some cases anticipated my needs before i even knew what i needed. Especially loved coming back to a room that was not only completely spotless at the end of the day, but also had clothes that i had left out in a heap on a chair neatly folded and/or hung in their proper place! Breakfast was also wonderful, the gardens were beautiful - just loved this place! Also, 2 star Michelin restaurant, Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud, right next door for an additional treat!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank camjwg

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay with us which I was delighted to read.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with all the team here. It is extremely heartening to read your words of praise for my colleagues as each and every one of them strive to provide a memorable experience for our guests.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just back from another short break at the Merrion Hotel Dublin and again am so impressived by everything in this hotel. We checked in, getting the usual warm welcome and were upgraded to a suite which was super, overlooking the garden, only slighttly marred by the nosie of wedding guests spilling out into the grounds from Patrick Guillbaud's restaurant. All the staff are incredibly helpfu, really make you feel as if you are a valued customer and the chambermaids are superb, tidying up during their night turn down service so you come back to a room in our case far more organised that what we left! Dinner in the Cellar Restauarnt is good and not overly expensive by Dublin standards as is breakfast. My only complaint with breakfast is that so many options are extra, e.g pancakes €16, which when paying so much in the first place for the stay is a bit much, particularly as I find as standard in so many other 4 let alone 5 start hotels. The spa treatments are also good though as usual with all five star hotels, over priced. My only slight whinge is that though tea and coffee making facilities are provided they consist of only basic bewleys instant coffee and tea, with no biscuits, again unusual as even in three star Irish hotels now you stand a chance of getting Earl Gray and herbal teas and in some rooms in for instance the Radisson Group might even get a Nespresso machine! But if you have a few euro to spare and even if you can only afford a night, the Merrion is worth it as you come away relaxed and feeling special!

Room Tip: Rooms in the old house are a lot more expensive but lovely. Compressor noise can be an issue as can...
1  Thank sarsman

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I also greatly appreciate your feedback about breakfast in our Cellar Restaurant and our tea & coffee facilities in the room. We are constantly striving to improve on the facilities and service we provide to our guests and your feedback is vital for this.

Thank you again for your encouraging words.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

While in Dublin last year I wanted to try something new and stayed at the Merrion. I was not disappointed. A great treat indeed. The staff were friendly, the service spot on and food and drinks mighty! I stayed in a suite and it was very nicely appointed with a huge bathroom and great amenities. Great location and very well managed and run. It is very classy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MYHOTRODs

Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We spent three nights at the Merrion in April and were fortunate that the famous Irish rain was not too bad during our stay.

The flight in arrived early and we were glad to be able to drop off our luggage and have a coffee in the hotel lounge before going out sight seeing. The wifi which we accessed while having our coffee was also a bonus, as we managed to log on when the July anniversary games tickets went on sale just after we arrived and were lucky enough to get tickets. I noticed later on that they sold out in 75 minutes.

We then walked towards Trinity College to get our bearings before getting the 2 day City bus tour tickets and we jumped on close to the College, so we could get an idea of the location of some of the attractions. This eventually brought us back to Merrion Square where we decided to try the Cellar bar for lunch. The Cellar bar is quite quirky and we had a very good snack lunch before going up to reception to complete checking in.

We were fortunate to be upgraded and had a very nice garden view junior suite which we were shown to by one of the many efficient and friendly staff, which seemed to be the norm for all those at the hotel. The bed was nice and firm as we like it and the room was very comfortable and relaxing.

We spent a couple of evenings in No 23 having a very pleasant snack and a few drinks.

The Cellar restaurant was the venue for breakfast and I decided to go for the Full Irish. This was well cooked and the buffet area was well stocked and presented.

On the last evening we ate in the Cellar restaurant and had a very nice meal, with a very good atmosphere as the restaurant was reasonably busy for a Sunday evening.

We managed to leave our I-pad in the hotel room and were very pleased that the Hotel found this and organised its return to us in the UK.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is not cheap, but the quality makes it well worth spending a little extra for a special occasion.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CharlieCB

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at The Merrion and for your wide-ranging feedback.

I have shared your wonderful comments with all the team here who join me in thanking you. We are all genuinely delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and I am also pleased that we were able to return your I-Pad to your home after your departure.

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.