“Fabulous place to stay in Dublin”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just back from a glorious one night stay in Dublin's number one hotel. From the warm welcome at check in, my wife was won over. She mentioned to the lady who showed us to our room that we were here for her birthday. Later in the afternoon an exquisite 'happy birthday' cake arrived at our room. The fantastic suite we were allocated (Lord Antrim)over looking Government Buildings was fabulous. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff from them valet parking our car through to the lovely staff who served us breakfast. Can not wait to be back again!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DouxHomme
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the absolutely fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the service. I was delighted to read about how much both you and your wife enjoyed your stay on what was a special occasion and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

There are newer reviews for The Merrion Hotel

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had afternoon tea here recently which was very special, the room was like an old drawing room with a big open fire blazing. The tea although expensive was substantial and I later learned that I could have bought just one tea and shared it rather than the two which was a little too much. The staff packaged up the cakes for us to take home which was a nice touch. I will return again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank donnamw

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your experience at Art Afternoon Tea and I will pass on your very kind comments to my colleagues in our Drawing Rooms and the Pastry Chef. I hope it is not too long before you return to us again.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in March. We had two king rooms but because we booked through American Express we were upgraded to two junior suites in the main hotel. The rooms were beautiful and wanting for nothing. From the minute we arrived until the minute we left the service was extraordinary and everyone was very friendly. We had breakfast in the Cellar room as part of our package and it was a very nice buffet. And for anyone who is gluten free they offer gluten free toast as well. We also had dinner one night in the Cellar and the food was very good. The location is fantastic, walking distance to most of the sites and shopping, but it's on a side street so very quiet. I did not swim but the infinity pool looked very inviting. I really have nothing negative to stay. If I return to Dublin I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank klk523

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and very pleased that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay with us again should you visit Dublin.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've just returned from an overnight business trip to Dublin, having stayed at the Merrion, and this is quite simply one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The amenities, rooms and location are all very good (the Cellar Bar is great, and makes a decent vodka martini!), but the real clincher for me is the service level. Whilst it seems to be harder and harder to find hotels that truly live up to their star rating, the Merrion seems to go beyond 5 stars when it comes to service. Staff are all friendly, attentive and immaculate. A brief anecdote - I wandered up to the reception desk to enquire about breakfast. Whilst the receptionist was chatting with me he casually asked my room number and discreetly looked up my profile so that he could refer to me by name when I said goodbye. It's a very small gesture, but it speaks to the attention that the hotel management and all of its staff pay to making sure their guests are beyond satisfied.

There were other touches as well, such as my colleague and I being given a voucher for a free bottle of wine with dinner in the Cellar Restaurant, the old-school doorman running out into the rain to assist my colleague with her luggage, and so on. All in all, just a brilliant hotel - can't wait to come back to Dublin to stay here again. I'd give it 6 stars if I could!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wandering_Saffa

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the absolutely fantastic review following your recent stay with us and for your kind comments about my colleagues.

All of us here at the Hotel appreciate you taking the time and trouble to tell us of how much you enjoyed your stay and your words are extremely encouraging.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Twice in recent years I have lunched & dined at the Merrion Hotel in Dublin. Not in the main restaurant but in the Cellar Bar & Restaurant located underneath the hotel with its separate entrance down a flight of stairs from the street.

You can reserve tables in the Cellar Restaurant which are located in alcoves off the Bar area & if with friends you can also reserve one of the two larger tables in the Bar area itself.

The Cellar Bar has its own food menu which is ideal if you are solo or do not require the ambience & so forth of a more leisurely lunch or evening dining experience.

St Patrick's Day fell on Sunday March 17 & the Cellar Bar was specially opened until 8.00pm. Apparently it is not normally open for food on Sundays but you should check with the hotel first.

Having taken lunch solo at the Cellar Bar one April Saturday in 2011 I knew that on St Patrick's Day 2013 this would be the ideal place, if open, to take some friends for a quiet meal away from the crowds.

We were not disappointed. I phoned ahead a few days earlier to check opening times & the hotel kindly arranged to reserve a table for my party of four in the Cellar Bar itself. Obviously the Bar area was busy but the service & food we received was first class.

No hesitation in recommending the Cellar Bar for informal lunch & evening meals.

Room Tip: Not applicable as I have not stayed in the hotel; only eaten lunch & early evening bar meals in...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JohnF40

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience in The Cellar Bar on St. Patrick’s Day.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I am particularly delighted to read your comments about my colleagues who were extremely busy that day, they always endeavour to provide the highest levels of service to our guests so your words of acknowledgement are very encouraging. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and I only hope that visit is as enjoyable as your last.

Thank you also for your kind words about the food which I have shared with our Chef.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a truly wonderful hotel. The service is amazing. The facilities are beautiful. The spa and treatments are wonderful. Location is wonderful. Food excellent. A special place I hope to return to.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank EBC1190

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and very pleased that we will have the pleasure and the privilege of welcoming you back for a second visit. I only hope that stay will be as enjoyable as the last!

Thank you again.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We visited Dublin this weekend for the Paddy Day celebrations. Fun was had by all and far to much Guinness was consumed! The atmosphere in the city was great and Dublin was awash with green for the whole weekend. We stayed at the Merrion and were all very happy with the choice. The hotel is one of the more pricey hotels in Dublin but you get what you pay for. The hotel itself has a very nice atmosphere, big log fires, big rooms with massive beds, lot's of interesting art, nice bars and restaurants and also plenty of relaxation spaces. All of the staff were excellent and in particular Tom in the Cellar Bar and Anna at breakfast. We ate in the Cellar restaurant on Friday evening and I can highly recommend the Venison main course, it was delicious and perfectly cooked. Once again the staff in the restaurant were extremely good. The meal itself was a tad on the pricey side but that was our fault for getting into the spirit of things with pre dinner drinks in the bar, aperitifs at the table, three bottles of fine wine and a bottle of Port!! Well it was Paddy's Weekend! Last night we decided to go for our final drink of the weekend at the Clarence( the hotel owned by Bono) as this had been our original choice of hotel but we were so disappointed with the ambiance and the tired looking bar that we didn't even stay for drinks. I think we had a lucky escape by choosing the Merrion. We loved our weekend but there is only so much of a good time one can take! I will be very happy not to see another pint of Guinness until next years Paddy's Day. Cheers...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PhilWCroydon

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us over the St Patrick’s Day Festival.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. It genuinely gives us a great boost when someone enjoys their stay with us as much as you did and I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again…perhaps for St Patrick’s Day next year!

Thank you once again for the wonderful feedback.