“Still the best”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying in The Merrion again two weeks ago. This was our fourth visit in the last couple of years and it is without doubt one of the best hotels in the world. The staff are extremely professional yet relaxed and friendly. The rooms are elegant, especially in the main house, and the beds are big and comfy. Even our minor complaint about a noisy family above our room was dealt with perfectly. As incurable foodies, the breakfast is always important to us and we were very impressed with the with a cooked breakfast that was perfectly cooked. The chefs clearly using high quality ingredients and knowing what to do with them. We were sorry to leave this beautiful and luxurious yet cosy haven and look forward to next time grandma takes the children for a sleepover so that we can race down to Dublin for another night at the Merrion.

3  Thank Jes071
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the absolutely wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Both my colleagues and I were thrilled to read your very kind comments and are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We are honoured that The Merrion continues to be your hotel of choice when you visit Dublin and I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here as a big pre-Christmas treat with my significant other - it's a hotel I always wanted to experience, and perhaps I was simply overexpecting, but the reality just didn't quite live up to it. Staff are faultless - they are truly 5*. And the bed was awesome - absolutely huge. But the room looked a bit tired round the edges, especially the bathroom (never mind the weighing scales which were about 4 kgs out - thankfully 4 kgs lower, not higher, otherwise I would have left the place screaming!). The biggest disappointment was the breakfast in the Cellar Restaurant. For a handsome €30-something you get a full Irish breakfast. I asked for a vegetarian full Irish, and was offered an additional tomato and a couple more mushrooms. Anything with a bit more creativity would have been welcome! We both ordered poached eggs - and they arrived almost cold. Toast wasn't offered but had to be ordered (that is SO part of a full Irish!) - but then no butter came with it, and the same happened to the lady on the next table (there wasn't any butter at the buffet either)! Good that they have a swimming pool but again I just imagined it to be a bit, well, posher, for the price paid. Overall - I will be spending my pre-Christmas splurges somewhere else in the future, I am sorry to say.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PuffleIreland

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us before last Christmas here at The Merrion.

I was delighted to read your encouraging comments about my colleagues but of course disappointed that other aspects of your stay did not meet with your expectations. As you will appreciate given some months have passed since you stayed with us, it is difficult for me to investigate fully your issues so I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly on generalmanager@merrionhootel.com. Perhaps then you will allow me the opportunity to address any concerns you have had.

With regards to breakfast in our Cellar Restaurant I would like to clarify that butter is provided on the tables in the restaurant as opposed to on the buffet for hygiene reasons.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope to speak with you soon regarding your experience in more detail.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have read the great reviews and was very excited to book two nights for our family of 5. We were quoted 310 Euro per night per room, with an additional 50 Euros for the pleasure of being offered a pull out bed for one of my young adult children (over 12), as they have no triple rooms. Are they out of their minds? I actually thought they were so I wrote back for clarification! They responded offering me a new option of booking 3 rooms! Doesn't that sound like a great way to spend a FAMILY vacation, and a great value too! Please understand that I have not been to the Merrion, I am sure it is wonderful... but don't waste your time if you are traveling with your family. By the way, unlike many other beautiful hotels in Dublin, the Merrion does not have interconnected rooms either!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank west6man
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I would like to take a moment to offer clarification that we do in fact have interconnecting rooms along with a number of 2-bedroom suites which many families have enjoyed through the years. We would like to think we are a family friendly hotel and offer amenities tailored for our younger guests on a regular basis through our Miss & Master Merrion program.

Having read your correspondence with my colleague I am at a loss as to understand your grievance given your questions were responded to in a timely fashion and our procedures for the cost of an extra bed for one of our Superior Rooms were explained.

Should you require any further explanation please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Peter MacCann

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Everything about this hotel is 5 star all the way! Rooms are beautiful and I can't fault any of the staff as their service goes above and beyond most hotels! Will be back very soon! We ate in the cellar restaurant while we were here, fantastic spot and the food was really tasty!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank KildareFox

Dear Guest,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments. I was also delighted to read how much you enjoyed your experience at the Cellar Restaurant and I have shared them with both the Restaurant and Kitchen teams and they say a very big “thank you” as well.

I hope it is not too long before you return to us again.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We booked this through whatahotel.com who offered complimentary perks one of which included lunch or dinner. When we arrived hotel said we had not booked the right room to avail of this offer even though the email confirming booking made no mention of this. Hotel did not honour this. I sent an email of complaint to both the website and the hotel and as yet have not received a reply from either. This is a lovely hotel and overall we were very impressed with amenities, room and service but not happy that our complaint wasn't even acknowledged. Pity, as otherwise I would have given this five out of five.

4  Thank Elaine B

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

While I was pleased to read your very kind comments about the service and your room here at the Hotel I am disappointed that your email to us regarding amenities was not responded to in a more timely fashion. I am aware that we have responded to you now and I hope the explanation therein meets with your understanding. Unfortunately, this particular website had incorrectly displayed what guests who booked with them were to receive and furthermore, had not been given authorization by The Merrion to publish these details. When we became aware of the issue we contacted the website to have them taken down which you will now see has been done.

Thank you again for your review and indeed your email and I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again. If I can be of any assistance with your arrangements please don’t hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed overnight in The Merrion Hotel. From the moment we arrived, the surroundings and service were absolutely five star. The rooms were well appointed and very luxurious, the bar and common areas were welcoming and extremely comfortable. We ate in the Cellar restaurant where the food was excellent and the wine list had a fantastic selection to choose from. Breakfast was extremely plentiful and very tasty. We also enjoyed relaxing in the spa which was quiet when we were there. The location is excellent - within walking distance of St Stephens Green and Grafton Street. Overall I would highly recommend the Merrion and would most definitely stay there again!

1  Thank Clare O

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about your stay with us here at The Merrion; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Me and my boyfriend just returned from a three night stay at the Merrion.
First of all it is in a fact a very charming place. The drawing room and the bar no 23 are cozy and inviting and we spend every evening some time there.
The most of the staff are very friendly.
But anyhow I would like to summarize shortly the Pros and Cons of our stay.

Pro:

- the cocktails at the drawing room. the drawing room is a pleasant location without noisy music or irritating people ( different to the bar at the Shelbourne!)
- the staff is super friendly, especially the concierges and the doormen
- the location of the hotel
- room size

Cons:

- the dated bathroom. this bathroom is worse than in the most cheap hotels. it was clean but the amenties were oldfashioned. The shower was too small, the bathtub tiny and the one sink for a five star hotel definitively a let down ( no Spa feeling here!).
- the pool is a bad joke. it was not inviting at all and always very busy
- the food at the Cellar restaurant was awful. we had both steaks which were given with a bunch of fried onions and fries. normally you see this at snack bars.
- the breakfast is good, but overpriced. we were charged every extra. I wanted to have French Toast instead full Irish, I had to pay a certain amount more for it. this was just weird to us. Also the breakfast buffet did not offer any ham, salmon or such. Just muffins, croissants, bread, fruit and cereals
- we booked long in advance two massages, but they just booked one. so we ended up discussing who can have the treatment from us and the other had to go back to the room. THIS should not happen!

Overall we liked the hotel and our stay at the Merrion, but we are not sure if we would return since there were too many let downs.

Room Tip: look that you do not book rooms, wich start with a "1" since those are situated in the fir...