“really special”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We have stayed in the Merrion on a few occasions and I never wrote a review despite good intentions!!
This is a fabulous hotel with wonderful service, which begins as soon as you pull up outside.
The staff treat you as if you are the only guest in the hotel and are wonderful with children, with lovely little treats for them.
We usually opt for a room in the old house, but this visit we had a room in the newer part as we availed of their dine and dream package, and the rooms in old house are not included.
We were not disappointed, and the package is great value for money.
The pool area is lovely and is a great addition to have in a city hotel.
We are looking forward to a return visit and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: old house is lovely but the garden rooms are very good too.
1  Thank KildareCian

Dear KildareCian,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. I must say we get a great “buzz” when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. We are honoured that The Merrion continues to be your hotel of choice when you stay in the city and I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

I travel a lot (partly for work and party for vacation) and have stayed in great hotels around the world. This has to be one of the most enjoyable stays. The bed was probably the most comfortable of any hotel (even better than my own bed at home) and the room was so quiet. Great bathrooms with enormous bathtubs. Fantastic public areas with turn-of-the-century salon ambiance. Outstanding restaurants. Wonderful location around the corner from one of the best pubs for traditional music (O'Donoghue's) and great cafes and restaurants and other shops within a short walk. I was in Dublin to attend a conference at the Convention Centre -- about a mile away -- and my colleagues who stayed closer to the conference were jealous of our location and fantastic hotel. This is the loveliest part of Dublin and the hotel is worth the extra cost.

Room Tip: We had a room on the courtyard -- absolutely quiet and beautiful. (Other rooms may be just as nice...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank freshairfan

Dear freshairfan,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I am also pleased you found time during your stay to visit our local hostelries on Baggot Street!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Had a lovely stay in the Merrion, found the staff to be very helpful and the location was perfect for touring the city centre. Only complaints were the room we were given was on the ground floor looking into another building and was very dark. Also, we had a meal in the Cellar Restaurant and found the food and service very poor. When we complained to the Restaurant Manager he dealt with the matter as best he could, but I wouldn't be inclined to eat there again.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank snove

Dear snove,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion and I am glad you enjoyed you stay with us overall. I was sorry to read about your experience in the Cellar Restaurant and I would be most grateful if you would contact me personally on generalmanager@merrionhotel.com or phone me with further details so I can address the issues you encountered here at the Hotel.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime I look forward to hearing from you. .

Reviewed June 26, 2012

A five star hotel that lives up to its grading. Situated ideally within a short walking distance to Grafton Street and St. Stephen's Green shopping centre for those shopping enthusiasts and of course the more historical sites such as government buildings, Trinity College etc. You can become so relaxed in either of their two drawing rooms with their fantastic art collection hanging on all the walls of the hotel and the open log fires that you can become completly oblivious to the hustle and bustle happening in the city outside. The room itself was very tastefully furnished and had a up-to-date television, which unfortunately can be lacking in some hotels. Great to see also that they had a proper ironing board in case you need to give the clothes a quick going over and there was even a starch spray for the cotton shirts. Overall the facilities in the room were exceptional as was the friendly service by all the staff that we met in the hotel over our stay. Food in the Cellar Bar restaurant was very good and very reasonably priced for a five star hotel and even the food in the main restaurant was very keenly priced at €20 for two courses from the lunch menu. Although there wasn't a huge variety to choose from. Great selection of food available at the breakfast though which sustained us for the few hours on our journey home. Hoping to spend another night or two here in the not too distant future to explore Dublin further.

1  Thank maya7045

Dear maya7045,

Many thanks for the absolutely wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We really appreciate it.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments. I was particularly pleased that you enjoyed our food offering here at The Merrion and I have shared your comments with both the Restaurant and Kitchen teams and they say a very big “thank you” as well.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We spent 2 nights in this hotel. From the moment we arrived we felt treated with sincere warmth and courtesy. Service is simply excellent and delivered with an smile by everyone. The room is bright and large. We didn't have time to try the afternoon tea at the drawing room, we'll try next time. All in all excellent, it exceeded our expectations . All 5 star hotels should be like this one.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Javier S

Dear Javier S,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team and service here at The Merrion. I must say we get a great “buzz” when we read comments like yours and it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

The staff makes this place 5 stars. Great service the entire time we were there. They had the best food of any place we stayed in Ireland, but, it is Ireland, so don't expect too much. Their smoked salmon was great!!

1  Thank Peter S

Dear Peter S,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was only able to spend one night in Dublin on our recent trip to Ireland and I'm glad it was at the Merrion. The hotel is in a great location (although a bit difficult to locate if you are driving yourself, as the signage does not stand out) if you want to walk around the city. Our room was large, clean, comfortable and well appointed. All of the staff I came into contact with during my short stay were welcoming, friendly, and helpful. I would definitely stay here again if I am fortunate enough to return to this wonderful city.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie P

Dear Julie P,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you also. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you to stay with us again.