“Wonderful Hotel in great location”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
England
“Wonderful Hotel in great location”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful three night romantic stay. The hotel's exterior is subtle but the foyer and drawing rooms are superb. The atrium down to the room was lovely and the room was very comfortable with all the touches you would expect at a 5 star hotel. The staff were mostly great and could not help you enough. All in all a great hotel but there were some very very minor drawbacks and it is the little things in a hotel that take it to the next level.

The service in No.23 Bar was great the first night, however the second night the female member staff lacked accomodability. I had asked for crisps as I do not like nuts and I was served them on the first night however the second night she refsued, stating that she would charge us and was not flexible on the matter. Given the style and class of the hotel, a little charm would not have gone a miss,

The Spa is quite small and lacking a Sauna and Jacuzzi, however the pool is of a adequate size and the steam room is excellent.

And finally the price of food. Alcohol in the bars etc was reasonably priced but the food was out of this world. Now I have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, but even their prices weren't close to this hotel. 30 euros for a pizza in the room does seem excessive.

But apart from these little trifles, the hotel was superb and I will return if we ever go back to Dublin.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank derbyshirenomad
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear derbyshirenomad,

I want to post a very sincere thank you for your view of the hotel.

We were all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I want also to apologise for the unaccommodating manner in which your simple request was dealt with on the second day and assure you that I have addressed this personally and am confident that this will not happen again.

Furthermore, I accept fully your observation on the price of pizza and I am addressing this fairly quickly also.

I hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you back at some point in the future and in the meantime and once again, many thanks.

Kind regards,

Peter MacCann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
ireland
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I'm rather late with this review - we stayed at the Merrion over Christmas 2011 during the Big Freeze!
I'd love to say we'll be back but it will take a lot of saving or a lottery win to repeat our glorious time there. It was our first Christmas away from home, husband, son & I. I feared missing all the rest of the family & especially our grandchildren, but truth to tell it was so wonderful I managed to immerse myself in the special atmosphere & let everything else fade away!
Our room overlooked the frozen courtyard, magical in the ice & snow. The public rooms & foyer were beautifully decorated with trees...the one in the foyer rose above the fabulous staircase to the second floor.
We had room service breakfasts to die for, lunches & dinners worthy of Michelin chefs, everything was perfection!
Best of all were the staff - it was so pleasing to be in one of Ireland's top hotels & find such friendly, efficient people. Not at all like so many other hotels where the staff take themselves so seriously as to be haughty & cold. Three cheers for Irish hospitality! Thank heaven the hotel was so amazing, we were unable to leave during our three day stay due to the frozen conditions in the city, but I can honestly say I probably wouldn't have gone outside at any rate....why would I when all we ever dreamed of was in the Merrion!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yankeelass
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear yankeelass,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Christmas is such a special time of the year so I am particularly pleased to read for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us during the summer or again at Christmas!

Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

We were welcomed when we arrived, welcomed back when we left. The Merrion delivered for us exactly what we needed. It was a one night stressfree recharge away from the kids that felt like a 2 week holiday. The cellar bar serves a great selection of wines by the glass, the food in the restaurant was excellent and the breakfast in the room was superb. The service is warm and considering the high standards the place is great value. Thank you Merrion for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank LittleOrangeSuitcase
Dear LittleOrangeSuitcase,

visit as much as you did and I am so pleased that you left feeling so relaxed recharged!

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back.

sherwood park, Alberta
Reviewed April 22, 2012

superb service, coupled with a convenient location opposite the government buildings and close to two parks, plus the Graffton street shopping. the people definitely make the difference, but don't overlook the art collection and the gardens in the courtyard. as well, having drinks in the drawing rooms by the fireplace after a chilly day is the perfect way to end the day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank howho
Dear Howho,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed with a young family in 2 interconnecting rooms. Staff made it a great stay - as did the location and the pool.

Location is the best in Dublin. As per other reviews, the service and staff are outstanding. True 5 star +. Hotel open areas very very luxurious. Food excellent. Rooms are good, but perhaps not 5 star +. Definitely among the most enjoyable hotel stays we've had.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Fealda
Dear aidohippo,

visit as much as you did.

I am sure you will also be pleased to know that we are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme in all our bedrooms and suites.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you and your family back to stay with us.

chappaqua, ny
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Since it was my two son's first trip to Europe from New York I was a little worried how they would react to the long plane ride and the jet lag. We arrived in Dublin shortly after 7am and we were driving up to the Merrion Hotel by 8:30. My first impression of the hotel was that it was tasteful and discreet. It is housed in a row of Georgian period houses what have great character and curb appeal. My family was greeted very warmly by several bellmen in coattails who not only unloaded our luggage but assisted us in every way imaginable. We were asked our surname and quided to the front check in desk. Staff were plentiful and we were told that one of our 2 rooms was ready for occupancy. I was relieved as i could tell at least one son wanted to grab a nap otherwise we would have to set out for the city until the rooms were available. Staff gave us a quick tour of the grand parlors that were beautifully decorated on our way to our room. We also passed a lovely interior garden on the way to the room as well.

The room was large and well appointed and the luggage arrived almost instantaneously. Nice furnishings were accented by beautiful drapes as well as other luxurious touches. The bathroom was quite large and very clean. We were offered a tour of the room but declined as we knew we needed a little quiet time. Approximately two hours later we got a call from the desk that our second room was also available. My wife and older son wanted some more rest so myself and my younger son were off to explore.

I had been to Dublin once prior so had a fair understanding of the layout of the city. I took my son down to glance at the indoor pool which i knew we could be visiting later. The pool is beautiful for an inner city hotel as most look like they were built as an afterthought. Nicely proportioned and extremely clean. We made our way back to the main entrance and were greeted by name, asked if we needed maps, taxis, etc. Staff were just so attentive.

We stayed 3 nights in total experiencing a majority of the offering that the hotel had to give. Breakfast is very well done and service is in line with every part of the hotel. We travel often with our boys who are 9 and 11 and they were treated extremely well. Sometimes when staying at a hotel of this caliber they can tend to forget children. I would definitely suggest staying here for anyone who wants to stay at a top European hotel. I look forward to coming back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank chappaquatraveler1
Dear chappaquatraveler1,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I am pleased that we were able to accommodate your early arrival on this occasion and more importantly that your children enjoyed their stay with us so much also.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you all back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Stay fairly reguarly and service is always spot on. Some rooms are a little on the 'compact' size but still luxorious. Just one very small criticism - as a female I cannot sit at the deak and see myself in the mirror to dry my hair - rooms probably designed by a man ! However, I get the feeling that if I mention it at my next visit they might even move it for me!
You will not be disappointed with a stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tarmum
Dear Tarmum,

visit as much as you did. I will follow up on your comment regarding the distance from the mirror to the desk and hope to come to a solution to this very soon.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us.