“Day trip...”

Barnacles Hostel Temple Bar
Ranked #4 of 120 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stayed in Barnacles only one night.. The location is excellent to reach the city centre where are the most top attractions and history places . Due to its allocation can be noisy during the weekend(music from outside, pubs).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
There are newer reviews for Barnacles Hostel Temple Bar

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed here after my Shamrock tour had finished, it was recommended by a few people on the tour so thought I'd give it a go.

I booked a four person dorm as I fancied a bit of sleep and they are usually quieter in my experience. Went to bed early as I was tired from my tour...only to be woken by a guy getting into bed with me at about half past mid night...next thing there are four guys having a good laugh about it...telling me I'm in the wrong room. Went down to reception and it turns out there had been a problem with the booking and I was mistakenly put in the wrong room. So at about 1am I had to move my stuff to an 8 person dorm and sleep there. In the morning I then had to move rooms again, back to the room where I had been previously, luckily the guys had left by this point so there was no awkwardness for me.

That ruined my experience of the hostel really. It happens and I get that. The staff were very apologetic, offered to help me move my bags and refunded 25% of what I paid which I thought was great. They also said to get in contact if I ever wanted to stay in Dublin again and would give me a discount. Not sure I will though. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else as it was a bit of a nightmare really.

Other than that...I thought the 4 person dorms were probably one of the smallest I've stayed in and I've stayed in quite a few over the years. The bathroom was small and I ended up with a cold shower on my last night. I would have said something and I'm sure the staff would have sorted it but it was my last night and I was already in there so just put up with it. The common room is pretty decent with sofas and computers and tv so you can chill out but you should really be exploring Dublin...!

Another thing, the hostel does give a discount to people on a Shamrocker Adventure tour so bare that in mind. For me the best part of this hostel is the staff. I don't think the hostel is terrible by any means...but I think there are better out there in Dublin.

Room Tip: I would say go for the rooms with more beds...they are bigger so there is bit more space and you can...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Barnacles was my first EVER hostel stay and travelling alone, it was amazing! Within an hour I had made a friend and we ventured around the Temple Bar area. The staff are amazing besides one guy who was always on around 10pm-11pm, he seemed grumpy and didn't look to enjoy his job but other then that I want to commend the English and American female workers, helped me with absolutely everything possible even recommended me to a great tattoo artist. Hostel is a perfect size, kitchen is massive and common room good! There is a few males that live at the hostel that seemed to take over the television alot but other then that, great experience at Barnacles!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I brought a group of 23 lads to Barnacles hostel for a stag do...the whole experience from booking was great...the staff were very helpful and actually helped me book a great deal with a close by bar and pub crawl for the first night of our trip! The below review is a load of nonsense...there was 23 of us, we were drunk the entire time, we made the rooms incredibly unpleasant and still we were taken care of incredibly well and our full deposits were returned, I think the previous review may be misguided...perhaps when they have stayed in some more hostels they will realise just how good this one was! Thank you Barnacles for an incredible stay...we will be back...if our wives let us back to Dublin that is :-)

Room Tip: Such a good location, you can't go wrong...if you don't want a noisy trip, this may not be t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2014

First of all, sorry for my bad english. Well, i'm 16 years old and i came to barnacles in a school trip. All the teachers said us that it is the best hostel at ireland, and we belived that will be true. First of all, the rooms. They are too small, and not cleaned really well. The rooms Has only got 6 beds, and we 7 for one room, so one person had to sleep in the floor. We talked to the staff, and they say that we had not pay for another bed so... Bad luck. At the first night, we were on the the room, and everytime that we pass over a site of the floor we get pinched on the feet, but we didnt know why. At the end we realised that there was a needle, and a friend has blood in his feet.We went to complain and the staff didnt attend us. We had to treat him with the water of the bathroom. Then, at 3 am, everyday there was a noisy sound that cames from street. A lot of drunked people were shouting and er cant sleep. Another important think is the breakfast. They only give toasts with butter (i dont like butter) so i had to eat toasts alone. Well, if you want a bit of milk u had to go into te cafe machine and ask for a cafe. When you finish your breakfast you had to clean your own dishes, so when you take a "clean" one, it has pices of food of the last person and the glasses was sticky. In conclusion, for me, the only good think was the common room, because there was a PS2, a computer, a guitar... But i cant now how they can say that is the best hostel in ireland...

• Stayed: March 2014
Lidija R, Business Development at Barnacles Hostel Temple Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Hi Cecciboy6

Thank you for taking time to leave a review.

We should point out how you neglected to mention that your guys poured water out of the window on to a security guard from the shop next door. You also forgot to mention that we had to issue a warning to you and your group about your behaviour . The only reason you were allowed to stay in the hostel was because you were a part of a group. To make sure we are clear that behaviour like that is not OK, we even brought in translator.

Yes; there were 7 of you booked into 6 bed dorm, and we provided extra bed for the 7th person – this is the way your group has requested rooms to be booked by your agency, not something that happened by accident. This special request was communicated to your group leader before your arrival and clearly stated on confirmations as well.

There was no complaint received from you about a needle or anything similar in the room during your stay. We have professional housekeeping staff who clean rooms up on a daily basis as well. For translation purposes you met our Spanish speaking staff during your water pouring incident, and they have not received any complaint from you either.

Staying in the cultural heart of Dublin (or any other city for that matter) can sometimes be a bit noisy, but we do provide free earplugs at reception for anyone who is light sleeper. If you engaged with our staff, instead of insulting us, you would have been able to avail of this.

We will be communicating with your group leaders about this matter as well.

All the best

Lidija @ Barnacles crew

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This was my first time staying in a hostel and it was a good introduction into the hostel world. The hostel is located right in Temple Bar making this a good base for walking around Dublin and catching city tours. The wifi is weak and can only be used in the common room but that didn't ruin my stay or make me regret my decision. The room was cold at times but there was a portable heater in the closest and that warmed up the room pretty quickly. I was pretty exhausted each night I hit the bed and promptly passed out so I can't say that the hostel was noisy but it is in Temple Bar so if you are a light sleeper, I would look elsewhere. Otherwise great place and the staff is wonderful, very helpful and will answer any questions you have without making you feel like a clueless tourist.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in a private room with a friend before a night out in Dublin. It was perfect! Really clean room, it was tiny, but that's what you expect in a hostel! Staff were friendly, and great security at hostel too. If you want sleep this is not the place for you as it's in the middle of temple bar!! It's perfect for young socialisers! Will return again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends