Barnacles Hostel Temple Bar
$202
$182
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Dublin Skylon Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
$123
$119
1,130 results
All reviewscommon roomtemple bargreat locationbed dormfamous templeown bathroomfree breakfastpub crawlcommon areasnoisy at nightairport shuttlelight sleepercentral locationbeds were comfortablepubs and restaurantscagesnoise
Reviewed August 29, 2012

After reading all the reviews for this place I thought we'd picked the ideal location for our stay in Dublin. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. We were in a mixed dorm of ten which was extremely cramped and stuffy. The beds were uncomfortable and the bathroom not very clean. The location on the other hand is superb if you want to be in the heart of the Temple Bar night scene - however this means noise levels throughout the night are horrendous.

I must say the staff were very polite, friendly and helpful, but because of everything listed above I wouldn't choose to stay here again the future.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Craig H
Reviewed August 28, 2012

It can get really noisy at night when the beer truck unloads the barrels along the stone road. The room is definitely smaller than the pictures showed. Staffs are friendly. Everything else are average

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2012

"You're in the new part of the building," the friendly hostel worker said as he checked me in. I silently congratulated myself, though it turned out to be premature since the new part of the hostel is actually a grimy basement and my six share room can barely fit the bunks let alone the people that are meant to go in them. The room is stuffy, hot and dark despite the wide open window. It is tiny - I could stand with my back against a bunk and touch the walls with both hands. The light does not work at all and so I have had to wave my phone around just to see where my stuff is in the middle of the day.

The bathroom is almost as cramped as the room itself, has no ventilation and a shower set permanently to "scald." If you dare to risk a third degree burn by showering for more than five minutes, the water also fails to drain away quickly enough and starts to flood out into the room. I wish hostels would stop thinking that ensuites are a wonderful luxury that they've bestowed upon us. It affords you no privacy and forces you also to listen to the full range of your roommates' bodily functions all night. As if that weren't enough, the position of this particular room in the basement gives you the bonus of periodically having the excrement of the room above whoosh past your ears. Atmospheric!

By far the worst thing though is just how horrifically cramped it feels. I type this review completely horizontal as there is not enough space to sit up in my bottom bunk - to be posted later, of course, since the internet doesn't work down here. I can also hear someone sneezing in the room next door as if it's right by my face.

On top of the usual variety of smells that can come with a mixed dorm (feet, damp, man stink) there is decidedly seweragey stench wafting through. Whether it's coming from the ensuite, the street or wherever else I can't tell, but it's mighty unpleasant.

The plus side of all this is that it definitely encourages you to spend as little time in the hostel itself as is possible. The location is great and the staff are nice but that's really where the good points end.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, do not book a six share room - you risk ending up in the dank, sordid basement. And bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank littlefang
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Excellent location right in the middle of the pub/young fun district in Temple Bar; of course this means that there is a bit of noise at all hours of the night including impromptu 3am percussion bands, screaming people at bar-let-out time (one night two people were going to "kill each other" viciously) but this comes with the territory. One night someone was banging at a door near mine at 3 am and it sounded like my door, so expect loud drunk people at times. Kitchen/breakfast standard for cost/hostel. There was a 3 day lag in providing room service during my week stay which was disappointing. Decent basic quality for the cost.

Room Tip: Private rooms were nice.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Fantastic location and excellent value for money. Went over for a 30th Birthday celebration and stayed in a 10 bed dorm, check in was very easy, the staff were very polite and friendly and were able to advise on where to go and what too see. We were only two doors down from the iconis Temple bar and the atmosphere of the whole place was just what we were looking for. Would definately recommend this hostel to other and don't think it will be the last time that I stay there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends