“Has potential...”

Ranked #4 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Has potential...”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I want to start with a positive - the room we stayed in was cute, comfortable and clean.
Now the negatives - we stood in the reception area for ages before being served, the luggage storage room was tiny and the shower was cold due to a big group that had just checked-in. If you are looking for peace and quiet this probably isn't the place as it is just up the road from The Temple Bar.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Lots of stairs if on 3rd floor. Had early flight on last day, lots of noise but was expected. And also has window so more sound. Stayed in double bed private with ensuite. Squishy but good enough. Wifi not in rooms only in common areas bit annoying. Awesome location and good security!!!

• Stayed July 2011
Botkins, Ohio
Reviewed June 27, 2011

People complain about this hostel being noisy at night time, but it's the trade-off you get when staying at a place in such a great location. The Temple Bar is literally right outside the door, so making it home after enjoying a night at the pubs couldn't be easier. The staff is super friendly and the rooms are small but clean and brightly decorated. The common room is a great place to hang out if you find yourself needing a break from sightseeing, and there seemed to be a greater sense of community at this hostel than most I've stayed at. However, there was an unexpected, refundable security deposit when we arrived. I think it would be hard to leave this place disappointed unless you're looking for something quieter.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Was travelling with a friend through Ireland and stayed at Barancle's at both the beggining and end of our trip.

I can say that I would not have stayed here if I were on a romantic trip with my wife, but for a couple of buddies who wanted to be close to the tourist attractions and the pubs, we could not have asked for better.

This place is clean, safe and efficient. The common room with books, maps and computers was very useful and they give you 15 minutes of free computer time per day.
The rooms and bathrooms are quite small and the area noisy at night, but for our use it was great.

The only thing that was bothersome, was that we had a skylight in our room that did not have a blind on it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Stinz3
BarnaclesHostel, Business Development Executive at Barnacles Hostel Temple Bar, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Dear Stinz3,

Thank you for taking the time to review Barnacles Hostel, Temple Bar. We delighted you chose to come back again and stay with us at the end of your trip also.
Located in the heart of Temple Bar, our hostel is the middle of all the action. It is for this reason, many of our customers chose to stay with us – everything is on our doorstep. Unfortunately, some noise can travel through to the hostel from people enjoying Temple Bar. We provide free ear plugs to any guests if required. We have dorms available to the rear of the property available for any guests sensitive to noise.

Thank you for letting us know about the missing blind in your room. We will check the rooms to find the one with the missing blind and have it replaced.

We hope you come to stay with us again soon.

Best Regards,
Susan Connell
Business Development Executive
Barnacles Hostels
Chartres, France
Reviewed May 13, 2011

This hostel is in a great location. A short walk to everything. Rather loud at night because it is right in the bar/party area of Dublin however. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hostel was clean but offered the bare minimum. Locks and sheets were not included. There was only one very small bathroom per room. And the breakfast was the worst I've ever had in a hostel - sliced white bread.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank hoganan08
San Francisco
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I received a warm welcome from the friendly (and may I add quite cute) front desk guy. I had a ton of questions for him and he patiently answered them all. The rooms were small and the bathrooms were like an airplane but still very comfortable. I was in a 4 bed room and it was really hard to put your backpack/suitcase anywhere. I left everything out for hours unattended (laptop and digital slr camera) and came back to all my belongings. Seemed pretty safe to me. I could see why people would think it was loud but I'm used to noise at home so it didn't bother me. Unfortunately I woke up the next morning with a terrible flu and couldn't imagine being sick in such a small space so I decided to leave and stay with family for my 2nd night.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
loopgrl5
Reviewed March 28, 2011

The staff was excellent and the location is terrific. Breakfast is included but it is literally just toast and orange juice. WiFi is free and they give you 15 minutes free internet on their computers. The common room is great and is a good place to meet other people at the hostel. Unfortunately they allow school groups to stay there so extremely loud drunk teenagers kept me up all night running up and down the hallway, screaming and pounding on doors. I say this hostel is best for high school and college aged students. Also, there is just a medium sized basket under the bunk beds to lock up your belongings so you have to trust the others in your dorm with most of your belongings.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo