“Terrific atmosphere & friendly staff”
Review of Ryan's Bar & Cafe

Ryan's Bar & Cafe
Ranked #1,650 of 2,638 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was a great stop after our bus trip into Dublin from the airport. Publican Sean and his staff were very friendly and gave us plenty of great advice as well as a welcomed Guinness. The light meal we had was very generous and tasty.

1  Thank Robert R
There are newer reviews for Ryan's Bar & Cafe

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have visited Robert Reades before and foind that it is a great bar for food and drink, I was in Dublin shopping with friends and as we are so near the train station Robert Reades is the ideal spot for dinner and drinks as you can sit and relax and still be at the train station in less that 10 mins of your train journey. We all had different main courses and all were very satisfied with our meals. I opted for the house burger and it was very good home made chips were lovely and the food is hot. I would recommend Robert Reades to any one that likes good atmosphere and good food and also plesant staff.

1  Thank Mollie593
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great traditional bar serving good beer while watching Irish football. Good way to spend an afternoon with the locals.

1  Thank Baersden
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We enjoyed our meal the pub. Food was great, only downside was that the courses were given to us too close together. We may have had dessert, but we're too full from the entrees and mains.

The host was welcoming, and served us our meals and drinks at our table.

We enjoyed our evening.

1  Thank Angela S
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I visited this pub as part of an 18 man stag party on a Saturday evening in April 2013. As per standard stag party procedures the pub was chosen after a rigorous selection process, that being it was one of two pubs within a stones throw of our accomodation and was approximately one yard closer than the alternative venue.

First impressions were positive; bar staff were friendly and welcoming (not always the case when large groups are involved) and the drinks although expensive were no more so that you would expect to pay in Central Dublin. The decor was warm and there was plenty of seating available for all of our party to enjoy the pleasant atmosphere.

Drawn in by the positive first impressions, we settled on ordering some food. A member of staff came to take our order, and 15 of us ordered what we wanted off the menu, but another 3 were outside at the time. This brought out an air of impatience from the staff, real or percieved, who seemed unwilling to wait to take our full collective order. Eventually the 3 involved panicked and guesed "burger" just to get the order in, having had no sight of any menu.

The food came in what was probably reasonable time for such a large party although when it did so to say we were disappointed with the quality would be like commenting that the sun is hot - a complete understatement. While I cannot comment on what every member of the party had, I can comment on what was placed in front of me. I had ordered a Cheeseburger and chips. The bun was dry. The meat was dry. The chips were...well, you guessed it, dry. The burger had also been cooked to within seconds of disintegration - it was massively overdone. I gave the bun a wide berth, picked at a couple of chips, and ate a morsel or two of burger. I could stomach no more. When the waiter came to collect the dishes, he noticed that I had eaten very little, and to his credit asked if anything was wrong. I told him I had not enjoyed my meal and that it had been very dry. I sensed this might have been some sort of opportunity for redemption, in that perhaps the cost of the meal could be knocked of our (substantial) bill given that it had not been eaten other than a few little bits, but instead the response was an embarassed drop of the head and a mumbled "sorry about that".

In summary, this is a suitable location for a drink or two but the food should be avoided at all costs. We were part of a large group and perhaps that presented its own challenges, and you dont expect gormet dining in a pub. That said, you do expect something meeting a certain standard and not only did this fall short, the staff then compounded their mistakes by not rectifying them.

2  Thank andyT1984