“Will be back”

Ranked #38 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Will be back”
Reviewed February 19, 2011

My family and I have just stayed the weekend in the Skylon Hotel, so we could do some shopping in Dublin.

Our room was spacious and clean and the staff bent over backward to accommodate my toddlers bad eating habits! Nothing was a problem for the friendly waiters in the dining room.

Thank you for a very pleasant, we hope to see you soon!!

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2011

I dont usually leave reviews but having read some of the other negative comments regarding peoples recent experiences I thought I must comment as I had a very pleasant stay at the hotel a few weeks ago.

Myself and my girlfriend stayed for 2 nights a few weeks ago while on a weekend break to Dublin, and we had a great time.

The staff got us checked in very quickly, efficiently and in a friendly manner even thought the reception was busy.

We were very happy with the size and cleanliness of the room.

We have only been to Dublin a few times before and the hotel manager or duty manager was very helpful in giving us some advive on Dublin in general (directions etc), and also recommended some good restauarants, bars and shopping areas.

We ate in the hotel one lunch time and the food was very good and reasonably priced.

The hotel bar is very comfortable and had entertainment on the night we were in.

The breakfasts in the morningis a must and it set us up well for both days

All in we had a very pleasant stay in this hotel and we will definately back. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anybody.

1 Thank ElFunko
Antrim, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2011

We Chose the Hotel because my Husband had stayed in another on just outside the city centre and it was lovely. So we presumed being the same hotel chain it would be nice.

Could not have been more wrong. When we walked into the hotel the lobby gives the impression that it is really fancy and upper class as does the restaurant and bar. When we went up to the room it was run down, out of date , unclean and every creepy !

The bathroom was full of mold, chipped tiles and a dirty smelly old shower curtain! I even had to clean the toilet before i used it. The television in the room was not working and some smart person had ever stuck sticking plasters over the part where the remote connects to the TV. Surely the cleaner should have noticed this???? Carpet Grubby ,bed was small and there was not even a view to top it off

We were going out that evening and had went to a restaurant across the road and came back to the hotel to collect the car and i said to my husband i was use the public toilets in the hotel before we went so he went to the car and waited. I went in to find them thoroughly disgusting! I could not even bring my self to use them! Toilet paper all over the floor, one toilet had paper stuffed down it and some one had put more on top so it was nearly over flowing, another had been used and not flushed with lets say a parcel in it!. No way could I use them , I waited until I had reached my destination for the evening.

I am not a snob when it comes to hotels as long as the place is clean i do not mind but our stay here was not nice and we will not be back ! There are plenty more hotels around this area and we even saw some bed and breakfasts which would have probably of been cheaper and cleaner. I think the only good thing was the breakfast to be honest.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Returned from our three night stay last night. The rooms are very shabby and so was the bathroom. This hotel has not been refurbished as it says, if it has we did not see any areas that had been. Our room smelled and they obviously allowed people to smoke in the rooms as all the time we were there we could smell smoke and there was an ash tray in our room. The mattress on the bed was a concave shape and had seen better days. The bedding was ripped and torn although clean. The furniture was very old and should have been used for Nov 5th. Did not find the staff very friendly except one girl in the bar.The only plus for this hotel was the position and it was on a very good bus route.

1 Thank liz201102
Northern Ireland
Reviewed February 15, 2011

What can I say... The reviews below couldn't be more correct!

I am just home from the Skylon, after booking a romantic stay for Valentines day. It was a disaster from the word go.

Firstly the receptionist was very rude and unprofessional, she cheekily said we were checking in very early and would have to see if any rooms were even availale, this was at 2.30pm, check in is from 2pm.. so I didn't see the problem here. In the middle of it all her mobile phone rings and she continues to answer it whilst serving us, as if that wasn't bad enough she was using bad language and a very laid back ridiculous attitude!

We got room 318, it will be giving me nightmares for a very long time. After a bumpy journey in the lift (Sounds like the ropes are about to snap) we went to our room.

On first appearances the room didn't seem too bad, but on closer inspection it just got messy. We had a smoking room, but the whole windowsill on the inside was covered in ashes.. the list goes on..
the wardrobe didn't even have a door, the lights weren't wired correct and when going to bed you either had to keep them on full or off completely, the window was tiny with a view over a tumbled building, the TV was tiny, with VERY limited channels and the picture was almost too dark to watch (you couldnt change this on the control), there was no room service available, the phone and hairdryer were REALLY dated... I could go on all day... but the worst came when trying to sleep at night, as someone else said, the walls are so thin its a complete joke. The couple talking next to us might as well have been in the room ,you could nearly hear them breathing. Also the biggest fault on the stay was ALL night a loud cracking noise came from the radiator pipes in the wall. This woke me up nearly every 5 minutes. We checked out as soon as we could and as the person said below.. the same ignorant receptionist was working so we didn't even bother saying anything as she was very unappraochable and wouldn't have cared anyway if her previous attitude was anything to go by.. So we left early, got our car which was COVERED in pigeon droppings (there seems to be a nest on pigeons in the carpark) and set off home..

I will NEVER be back at this place.. it was the worst experience of my life. I'm sorry I wasted my Valentines night in such a run down, unfriendly building.

2 Thank L0uise8777
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2011

i am still stunned in the aftermath of a truly shocking service from the Skylon..
when myself and my fiance checked into the hotel on the Friday night after a long and exhausting day all we wanted to do was get to our room and and get sum rest...However to our complete shock we were given the keys to an occupied room....and only by complete luck the couple happened not to be in the room..the reason we knew it was a couple who was staying there was not just the obvious clothes lying around the place but the staff had a quick rummage through their belongings to afirm their identity. Truly shocking!!!
But worse is to come.....we were then given another room further down the corridor and the following evening we returned from a days sightseeing to discover our room door was left wide opened (jammed with a towel) exposing all our belongings, passports, money,etc to anybody walking along the busy corridor..............Well after this i went to complain..and guess wot?? the same unhelpful, disinterested receptionist was at her best. BUt on this occasion enough was enough i called for the manager. But was told she was not in the building and would see me in half an hour. Rite enuough 30 mins later she turned up and offered a bottle of wine by way of compensation!!! COMPENSATION!! she is just bloody lucky that i had padlocked our cases and no-one had taken anything - as if anything was missing i dont think a cheap bottle of wine would really compensate anyone!!!! And just to finish off the poor standard continued to check-out on the sunday when the receptionist attempted to over-charge me for our stay and only belived me when i produced my original documentation with the price on it.....
ALL IN ALL IT IS TRULY SCARY THAT THEY ARE EVEN ALLOWED TO ASSOCIATE THEMSELVES WITHT HE BEST WESTERN NAME. COMPLETELY INCOMPETENT AND DISINTERESTED!!!

2 Thank Jasonlee224
Ireland
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Was staying here for 1 night & the room only cost €70, the location is only ok, buses to the city run from outside the hotel.
The hotel advertises room service available but when I ordered dinner to my room they said there was no-one available to bring it to my room??? I ate in the bar and the lasagne & garlic bread was the greasiest mess i've ever laid eyes on!! I ended up leaving it and going across the street to eat in a restaurant. The room was shabby & outdated and freezing cold, I had to wear a fleece to bed!! The bed cover looked like it hadn't been washed in years and I got the creeps having to sleep under it. The walls must be made out of cardboard because I heard every word the couple next door said about their plans for exploring Dublint he following day!!! Thank God they were only talking!!!! On check out the receptionist was really rude so I didnt even bother mentioning the room was so uncomfortable becasue felt she wouldnt give a damn anyway!! I would advise anyone to stay in the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Santry, its a bit further away from the city but its a new hotel with good services and the rooms are the same price. Cant understand the good reviews on this site about the Skylon???

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business