“Comfortable hotel with friendly helpful staff.”

Dublin Skylon Hotel
Ranked #35 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed for one night at the Skylon at the end of Feb 2014. Was met by very friendly helpful receptionist. Room was comfortable and clean while not elaborate. The double bed was very comfortable and I had a great nights sleep. I did have trouble getting the right temperature for the shower, no matter how adjusted it seemed to be either too hot or too cold.
I dined in the bar that night, food was good and plentiful [mixed grill] although the steak included was slightly burnt. Breakfast was quite good.
When checking out in the morning I was told that I could leave my car in the hotel carpark until I was leaving town in the evening at no extra charge. As I was not using it during the day and there is a bus into town just outside this was very helpful. My only suggestion is that the signage in the car park could be improved. On driving in I had to get out of my car to locate the underground level of the car park having missed the small sign on the way in. Getting into the underground section then needed a bit of maneuvering. If staying in Dublin again the Skylon will be my first option.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,062)

Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We arrived late on a Friday night, only to get to reception and be ignored by 2 members of staff, finally a man working on a computer saw to us, where we were told that they had run out of rooms so we had been upgraded to an "executive" suit on the 1st floor, that was about as much conversation as we got, no directions to where about out room was, luckily the lifts are close to hand & the rooms are clearly signposted. No information was given to us about hotel facilities, breakfast, evening meals etc not even a local map, thank god for free wifi so we could work out where we were!
Rooms were beautiful clean and tidy, if your a coffee and tea drinker then maybe pass on the ones in the room as not pleasant! We were at the back of the hotel, so there wasn't a view unless you class a crane as one, but this meant that it was very quite, so we had 3 lovely nights sleep!
We tried the hotel bar on the first night, but it wasn't really a welcoming atmosphere and felt rushed to finish out drinks and leave, as the staff obviously wanted to go home, so that was the first and last time we drank there!
On leaving, we had an early flight on Monday morning, we went to reception to book out taxi & settle up, this time there was a very helpful lady receptionist who advised us to book the "Paddywagon" as they could collect us at 4:20am and we would only pay €3 each, bargain as a taxi is about €20, she even offered a wake up call for us, shame this lady wasn't working on out arrival as she was lovely, friendly, chatty and very helpful! And would have probably started out holiday in a very different way!
Overall, this hotel is clean, tidy and in walking distance of the town (maybe only if weather is nice), there is a bus stop over the road so pretty easy to get about from here cost just over €2.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2014

i recently stayed in the Skylon for the first time and really enjoyed my stay. the hotel is in a great location only 10 minutes from the city and the airport. all the staff are very friendly and were more than happy to help me. the room i had was without a doubt a 4 star room and was very clean, and the cleaners kept it this way during the stay. it had everything i could need like free wifi. next time i come to dublin i will definitely be staying here. great stay!

1  Thank IrishTourist2014
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed here with two young children and the staff were super. We arrived very early in dublin and the hotel said we could drop off our bags at the hotel while we went out for the day. When we got there they explained we could wait until checking for our room (two double beds) or have a double and two singles there and then which was perfect! The staff were so friendly and helpful we were very pleased with this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Relations Manag... ., General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear PLOu,

i am delighted that we were able to look after you for an early check-in. Many thanks for the kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Skylon sometime soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I had not been in the Skylon hotel for a number of years and was absolutely delighted to have booked it for a recent work stop over. The location of the Skylon is just brilliant - really handy for the city centre - but also just a couple of minutes to the airport. The interior of the hotel has been recently renovated and there is just a lovely atmosphere from the minute you step inside. The lobby is lovely -lots of places to sit and relax - and I saw some other guests enjoying afternoon tea. The staff are really welcoming which is a treat in a city centre hotel.

It was my room that just made my stay though - it was beautifully furnished and decorated in a really stylish way - over and above a 3 star - much more a 4 star bedroom. I pottered down for a dinner in the bar that evening and had a gorgeous meal of a nice and varied menu with good prices.

Once again all the staff were just brilliant.

All in all a really great hotel - in a superb location - with gorgeous bedrooms and lovely staff. Well done to all at the Skylon!

Dear Skateprincess,

You are so kind to take the time to write a lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed our renovated bedrooms - new Nespresso coffee machines are coming for the bedrooms next week and should finish them very nicely. You need to come back on a Sunday to enjoy 'The Jazz Lads' live in the lobby. We will give you extra buns with your afternoon tea but don't tell anyone!!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

very friendly staff and convenient to the airport, however there was no heat in our room when we arrived as we were advised it was on a timer and only came on at 4 p.m. one hour after check in. In the morning there was no hot water in spite of running the tap for over 5 minutes, not much chance of a shower before catching an early flight, unless you are into cold showers first thing.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Relations Manag... ., General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Paddyinmexico,

I am glad that you found the staff nice. As the guy who sets the heating times I really must apologise. At ths time of year the heat runs nearly all the time. I do have it off between 12pm and 4pm but I will get this changed to come on earlier. With regard to the hot water please accept my sincerest apologies. I would appreciate if you could drop me an e-mail so that I can find your room number. This would be an issue with the thermostat in the room and I would be keen to get this looked at. I look forward to your e-mail and we will make this right. smcgavock@dublinskylonotel.com

Reviewed February 21, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at the hotel and I have got to say it is the most friendly place I know. All the staff can't do enough to help. The rooms are spotless and the food is very good. If you were staying here on a holiday visit the transport in to town is very good. There is also a great restaurant over the road.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear ian D,

How kind of you to take the time to write us a lovely review. We will have to look after you for a nice pint of Guinness in the Bar & Grill on your next visit - actually I really must stop leading people astray - a nice Latte coffee (have the Guinness!!)

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Skylon soon.

Regards