“Lovely stay and friendly staff but points lost for absolutely atrocious food”

Dublin Skylon Hotel
Ranked #35 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here a couple of days ago with wife and child for 2 nights , rooms are fine bar area nice , all staff very friendly and great place to stay with children , had dinner in the bar on sat night and can only say it was simply atrocious , pasta cooked Til it was falling apart , boiled in cold water rather then putting it in boiling hot water I wud think , mothers burger was Inedible, simply put looked like frozen horse meat , really really bad , father had fish and chips which was the best of 4 meals and even then was below what I wud feed to a dog ,my wife had spaghetti which was also vile , badly cooked full of thin poorly constructed cream sauce , smothered in cheese , raw garlic bread , ugh ! I might add I'm a head chef in a similar size hotel and if I served food like this I wud simply be told to collect my things and join the dole queue , I'm not a snob and don't expect fantastic food but these lads were having a laugh, food was awful , on the next evening we simply ate elsewhere to avoid being left hungry and out of pocket ! It's a shame because its a nice hotel , lovely staff and apart from this a very pleasant stay, so please talk to ur chef tell them get the finger out and cook proper food that doesn't serve overcooked pasta and frozen burgers! It's not rocket science !!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Rleavy8
Relations Manag... ., General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Rleavy8

Many thanks for you comments about our friendly staff. Your comment about our meat is a little silly coming from a head chef. Drop me an e-mail when you are next returning and I will look after your meals - smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com

G.M.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,047)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I had a lovely 3day stay in the Skylon. Thank you to all the staff for their attention and care and also for the quiet room I had requested. If I could offer one bit of advice I would say you could have some more staff in the bar as service was sometimes slow....other than that perfect!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank traffordgirl

Traffordgirl

How nice of you to take the time to thank our staff. The Bar & Grill has been very busy lately and I have taken your advice and put on an extra staff member. Drop me a little e-mail when you are next returning and we will see if we can organise a little drink for you in the bar. You really must try our Irish coffees!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed four nights for business.

Positives - Staff are absolutely great, location is good with it's own car park although you do have to pay for this. Food in the bar was good and very good value although there are several other places of all kind where you could eat very close by. Room was clean but storage space for 4 x nights stuff was a bit sparse.

Negatives - Just the problem with the boiler - No hot water three mornings out of four, which really is completely unacceptable. Reception refunded breakfast and parking as compensation.

Conclusion - Would try this one again, but hopefully the boiler will be working!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JohnC_883186337

JohnC

Many thanks for kind comments about our staff, rooms and food. I apologise that there was an issue with the water temperature during your stay. I am delighted to hear that you will be coming back to us. Please drop me an e-mail when you are returning as I would like to personally oversee your stay - smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed in the Best Western Skylon Hotel last Thursday night with my boyfriend. Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff members. We were going to the o2 to see the Darts but had missed the shuttle bus that the hotel had organised, however the lady on reception called us a taxi which was waiting outside for us after we checked in. The room was very clean and very nicely decorated. Very spacious and worth every penny spent. When we arrived back to the room that night, there was a bottle of wine and 2 glasses waiting on the desk in the room which had come with the price of the room. The following morning we woke and went down to the breakfast room, we were greeted by a very friendly man with glasses who showed us around the plentiful breakfast buffet and proceeded to take our breakfast order. The food was delicious and there was lots of it. The friendly staff really made the visit worthwhile. Couldn't fault our stay. Will be back again soon! :-)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Emily H

What a lovely review! Drop me a e-mail when you are next returning and we will organise a little bottle of wine for your room again - smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Having stayed at the Skylon with my Husband in February I was back on my own this time, for a few days to spend time with the new(ish) Grandson. Hotel lived up to everything we experienced first time around with the added bonus that, as a solo female, I felt totally secure and cared for. Walk through the door and the pressures of the world are behind you. The welcome is everything that's best in Ireland, the service is spot-on and truly friendly. And then there are the fresh-baked scones !! Naughty, but what is life without it's little rewards ? Yes, Skylon is now my personal home from home in Dublin. As the saying goes, you can travel further and fare far worse. Will I be back ? Oh yes.........in fact we both will.

Room Tip: Smile sweetly and ask nicely. Sarah is one of the best Receptionists anywhere.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Louise S

Dear Loiuse S

You are just too nice - we are not worthy!

If you thought the scones were naughty we are doing Irish coffees next time...

See you soon

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I was booked here for 5 nights by the company I was giving a course for.
The first 2 nights I was in room 322; small with a noisy ventilator in the bathroom. If you stay here for 1 or 2 nights, a room like this is acceptable. Not for 5.
Anyway, the first morning, it was early; 0630, the shower only produced cold water. Even after letting it run for 5 minutes. Well, I was awake :-)
I complained at the reception and they promised that it would be fixed. In the afternoon I checked and the water was warm.
The next morning the same. Now the water was a bit warmer, but still not hot. I asked for another room, which I got. 331; an upgrade. Good. This is a room you would expect when you need to stay that long.
No complaints about this room, apart from the fact that the soap and shampoo comes from a dispenser, as in 322. Not good. Bring your own!
They have fluffy towels. After a shower you look like Santa :-)
Breakfast; I'm not a fan of English/Irish breakfast. Therefore I miss the options you would have with a proper continental breakfast; proper jam, normal butter. Not the artificial you get here. I like a yoghurt in the morning but they display the 'fruit' yogurts. However when you ask for natural, 3 times out of 5 they will have it.
Atmosphere: the in house pub has it all: plenty of choice, friendly staff, cosy. Very cosy: strengthened by the older clientèle.
Same cosy atmosphere in the lobby, strengthened by the velour couches.
Staff: famous Irish hospitality!
Conclusion.
This is not a bad place to stay. Halfway the airport and the city. Don't be too critical though and then you love to come back.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Simonsmidt

So sorry we were having a problem with the water temperature when you were here. I am glad to tell you that the water and the issue with the fan have been resolved. We really need to get you back and give you a five star stay. Drop me an e-mail when you are next returning to Dublin smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com

Hope to see you soon

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Got a fantastic deal on the hotel website, £42 pp for B&B and a 2 course evening meal with a glass of wine.

Lobby Area is warm and welcoming and we were checked in by a very friendly and helpful young lady who is a great ambassador for the hotel.

Room was beautifully presented,everything you need, including free WiFi, tea and coffee tray, easy chairs and a little coffee table.
Bed was very comfortable and we were warm and cosy despite the snowfall during the night.
Bathroom is a little dated and towels were a bit thin,but I have been assured by Shane that bathroom upgrades will happen soon.

Meal in the bar was lovely,good choice and nice wine.
Breakfast was good,again, lots of choice and cooked to order.

Staff in this hotel are amazing, all very friendly and helpful, nothing was a problem to them.

We got the bus from Dublin Airport rather than wait for the Hotel Shuttle and it was quite straight forward .

Would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sentosa54

Many thanks for your comments about my amazing staff - I am truely blessed with great staff!

Drop me a little e-mail when you are returning. Hope to see you soon