“Disappointing meal .. Not up to usual standard”

Dublin Skylon Hotel
Ranked #35 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Am a regular in the skylon as its a great base for Dublin and have given good reviews in the past but my recent visit was not up to standard . The food in the bar is normally good but 2 main courses were poor . My husband had salmon .. which he described as worst ever , totally overdone .. It looked dry and he said it was . I had caesar salad and it was basically mixed salad .. No cos lettuce just plate of the usual salad with huge amount of croutons . Poor dressing .. Staff friendly as usual.. room was one of the older ones .. I will give benefit of the doubt and revisit but will expect higher standards .

• Stayed: February 2013
Relations Manag... ., General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear FHelenAnn,

Many thanks for returning once again to the Skylon; we really appreciate your business. I am delighted that the staff were friendly as usual but I really must apologise that the bar food was not to our usual standards. We work very hard on our food offering and over-cooking the salmon is unforgivable. We are completing the final phase of our room renovations at present and we are trialing some super-kingsize Respa beds in the new rooms. When you return I will make sure that you are allocated one of these rooms and I will presonally guarantee that your food will be impeccable. Please drop me an e-mail when you are next returning and I hope to see you again soon - smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com.

regards

Shane Mc Gavock
Best Western Dublin Skylon Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,045)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just back from a wonderful weekend break in skylon. From the minute we arrived the staff were very friendly they were all exceptionally pleasant and helpful. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious and bathroom was really clean. We ate in the hotel bar bar both nights food was good but maybe could do with a bit more variety on menu was pretty basic. Would stay here again very handy for bus into city centre.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sunshine12318,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your break with us at the Skylon. I appreciate your comments about my friendly staff. Thank-you for your praise of the bedrooms and the bar food. We will be changing all our menus next week so there will be more variety for you the next time. i look forward to you returning for another little break. I hope to meet with you on your return.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I recently spent a few nights in Best Westerns Skylon, with my daughters and a friend with her daughter, to attend a concert at the 02 Arena, known locally as The Point. The Skylons location is perfect for going to this and many other venues in and around the city, without having to go into the centre itself, something best avoided by car if you can. There's a bus stop outside the hotel and inside three minutes your in the heart of Dublins finest dining and shopping experience, but do try the Skylons own superb fayre first, you don't really need to go anywhere else, as its hard to beat the menu day and night, plus it won't cost you an arm and a leg. If your staying bed and breakfast, you won't need lunch, the breakfasts are as much as you can eat, and then you can order your cooked course, if you can fit anything more in, a Skylon fry up is the works, and healthy too, the only thing fried will be your egg, unless you go for scrambled, poached, boiled, you really can have what you want, nothing is too much trouble for the staff here, they do go that extra mile to ensure your well looked after, also if your staying more than one night, its guaranteed by your second morning the waiter/waitress knows and remembers your order, and is ready to serve with a smile and a bit of craic, now that's what I call service!
There's a Chinese and a pizza carryout aswell as a few local shops across the road from the Skylons secure car park, a small charge ensures your parking space, something which is impossible to find in Dublin, I'm disabled and although their is only one space marked for disabled drivers, most of the spaces are on the doorstep so no long distance haul to the room with your luggage. I was delighted on returning after dropping my girls of at the concert, to find as I drove back into the Hotels car park, a member of staff suddenly appear and remove a parking cone from my space I'd left an hour earlier, it had got quite busy when I left, so he had saved my space for me, knowing I was returning quite soon. All the staff, from the cleaners to the reception members are so helpful and friendly at the Skylon, and its genuine, not just put on when you arrive, its one of the reasons why its a good idea to book in advance here, people once they've discovered Best Westerns jewel in the crown, keep going back again and again. Its minutes from the motorway for a quick getaway without endless toll bridges, ten minutes from the airport and your sitting in your room with coffee and a paper, complimentary of course! There's a lively buzz in the bar, yet you can sit quietly in the beautiful foyer people watching or enjoying afternoon tea and a scone while planning your day, the free wifi comes in handy, in fact everything you need is here or on the doorstep to explore the sights. If you want a nice clean comfortable bed, good food, plush surroundings and your break to start the minute you hit Dublin, I guarantee the Skylon is the best spot and the exceptional staff will look after you well. The only bad bit is having to go home!

Room Tip: I booked a triple room that could easily have slept four, was lovely and spacious, my friend had a d...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pauline B

Dear Pauline B,

Many thanks for posting such a comprehensive review and for all your great comments. I really appreciate you taking the time to praise the staff at the hotel. I really am blessed with wonderul, caring staff. You and the girls will have to come back to us for another little break very soon! Drop me an e-mail when you are returning as it would be lovely to meet you the next time - smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com

Shane Mc Gavock
Best Western Dublin Skylon Hotel

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I had a 3 day conference in Dublin so stayed at the Skylon.
Lovely big room, bright, airy and very clean.
Great staff, good craic in the bar at night.
Food as good as ever... You can not beat the fry up at breakfast!
Thanks again, will be back soon :)

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Aideen D

Dear Aidy

Many thanks for staying with us at the Skylon again. I am delighted that you enjoyed the craic in the bar, We hope to see you again soon.

Shane G.M.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

i would like to thank the skylon for a great stay.the hotel is stunning and the staff can't do enough for you!!we arrived early and the hotel gave us a room to keep our bags in until our rooms was ready.as it was a hen doo they opened the bar for us after we had a hearty breakfast !!!the barman ALLAN had a lot to put up with at that time in the morning but nothing was a problem to him !!!as soon as our rooms were ready we were given them well before the 2pm check in!the rooms were stunning and loads of space and very well decorated!special thanks to PAUL who made sure we had everything we asked for and was like our personal guide and was able to inform us with the right information to make our stay brilliant.hope to visit again soon!!x

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Senga N

Dear Senga N,

I am so delighted that all your group enjoyed your stay at the Skylon. We need another of you girls to get married soon because we are doing Full Irish Breakfasts with Cosmopolitan Cocktails for you - thats the future! Wee Alan, Big Paul and all that staff send their love - Hope to see you all soon xx

G.M.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I would just like to thank the skylon for a great stay. Great accommodation, food and fantastic staff. We will definitely be back to stay. As soon as we arrived before check-in time, we were allocated our room straight away. The executive suite we had was very spacious at the front of the hotel but was very quiet even though on an extremely busy road. Transport to the centre of Dublin excellent bus service is constant. however, you can walk into O'Connell street in 30-35mins.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the executive suites. They are very spacious
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Biddyd
GuestRelationSkylon, General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Biddyd,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Many thanks for your lovely comments about our accomodation, food and staff. I am very lucky to have brilliant staff - they are superstars! I hope that you will return to us soon. Drop me an e-mail when you are next returning as it would be lovely to meet you smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com

Regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My stay was for 4 nights last week. I was staying at a hotel alone for the first time, and was a little nervous. There was no need to be, as I felt very warmly welcomed, my room was warm and comfortable, and the staff couln't do enough for me. I had stayed there before, so it felt very much at home.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 205Annie

205Annie,

I am delighted that you had such a comfortable stay with us. You were so nice to us all during your stay! All the staff send their regards and we hope to see you back at the Skylon soon. Drop me an e-mail and let me know when you are returning - smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com.