“Nicely refurbished but can be noisy”

Ranked #66 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nicely refurbished but can be noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was on business for three days in Dublin and decided to book somewhere near to Trinity College.

Because of its location in the lively Temple Bar, I was a bit nervous about staying in this hotel based on some of the reviews I had seen. However staff made every effort to accommodate me as I specifically requested an interior room which meant I was completely isolated from the street noise that some guests had complained bitterly of.

Unfortunately the noise from corridor and interior rooms was difficult to avoid because of the thin walls. I was treated to the amorous activities of my neighbours on the first night and the second night there was a group of lads staying who were partying in their room and coming in and out all night, slamming the doors. On the third night there was (i think) an medical emergency next door which caused a lot of coming and going so i did not get much sleep during my stay.

Having said this, everything else about the hotel was lovely. It has recently been refurbished to a good standard and the rooms were very clean, neat and spacious. Tea and coffee was provided but with no decaff options. There was a nice bathroom with Dove soap dispensers also and , crucially, hair dryers are provided!

All in all, I think it's a great hotel in an unbeatable location but you might want to bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the interior side of the building to avoid street noise in Temple Bar
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Greg F, General Manager at The Fleet Street Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Mermaid 109,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip advisor, of your stay with us in September. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our location unbeatable and our team made every effort to accommodate your request.

I do apologise for the noise you experienced from other guests of the hotel, we do conduct regular floor walks as part of our Fire Evacuation Procedure along with ensuring the noise from other hotel users is kept to a minimum.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Fleet Street hotel in the near future,

Email: greg.forrestal@fleetstreethotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
cavan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We booked four rooms for two nights. The hotel was clean and looked like the pictures on the net, but unfortunately the rooms were freezing cold. The first evening we were told the problem would be sorted out the next day and were given what looked like two prison blankets, covered in stains. I couldn't sleep it was so cold. Today we were told the same story (it'll be sorted tomorrow ) When i asked for a heater, there wasn't one and was told to have a shower before i went to bed. i said i couldn't possibly stay another night in that freezing room, she just shrugged her shoulders and sauntered off. If you want to know what it feels like to be homeless ie. wrapped in grubby blankets freezing cold, stay at the Fleet Street Hotel. Our holiday was completely ruined.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Greg F, General Manager at The Fleet Street Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear frank c,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I am very sorry read your review as this is not the experience our guests have come to enjoy while staying at The Fleet Street Hotel.
I can confirm from discussion with my maintenance department that we did experience an issue with a heating pump during your stay which took longer than expected to rectify, this has now been replaced.

I do apologise for the comment expressed to you by a member of my reception team, I feel this was said in ‘jest’ but never the less not the professional manner to which our guests have come to enjoy.

I am sorry that the Fleet Street hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion and I hope that you will accept the offer made to you by my front desk manager on your departure and allow us a second chance,

Please contact me directly and I will be happy to make sure that your next visit to the Fleet Street Hotel will exceed your expectations.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Booked and paid months in advance. When we arrived we were issued a room with two single beds (not what was booked). Staff told us the booking through Expedia didn't guarantee the type of room. Eventually, they moved us to a double room, but haggling with hotel staff is the last thing I want to do on vacation.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brent B
Dear Brent B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip advisor following your stay with us in September. I am sorry to read that the room type allocated to you on arrival was not what you had expected and also apologise for the delay in having this rectified. With the 3rd party website Expedia whom you booked the accommodation through once you book a room for 2 people it is booked as either a Twin or Double neither is guaranteed. We do as best as we can to allocate rooms on arrival depending on the types which we have available at that point, as the Hotel was very busy during the time of your stay this may have led to a twin room begin allocated originally and also the delay in changing the allocating to a double room.

I really hope that you can afford us another chance, please contact me directly and I would be delighted to handle your next booking personally.
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

So you pull up to the hotel in Temple Bar and your heart sinks because it is above a TGIFriday's. Well it is a great place to stay. Location is awesome. Has been recently remodeled. Very secure. Staff is awesome. Would stay here again in a minute.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Greg F, General Manager at The Fleet Street Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Jennifer J,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us in September, I was delighted to read that you found our location awesome and our hotel very secure. It gives me great pleasure to pass your comments onto our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Fleet Street Hotel in the near future,

The Fleet Street Hotel,
Email; greg.forrestal@fleetstreethotel.com
Beckenried, Nidwalden, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Nice hotel in a typical irish environment. Rooms are well done. Ask for a room to the rear side - the front side could be noisy at nighttime.
Don't eat in the neighbour restaurant "T.G.I.Fridays" - the food is terrible.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nik L,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us in September, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your vist to Dublin & The Fleet Street Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back for your next vist,

The Fleet Street Hotel,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Tried to book a client group in for a weekend reunion. Initially great rates and open concept to work with a third partly. Very helpful reservation manager (from Poland). After a month and confirming to the client, the hotel refused to pay the commission and asked for a contract to be signed. Contract was legally flawed but the hotel would not accept changes and refused to pay commission for the booking. We decided to waive the commission and negotiate a good contract for our client. Hotel refused to make any changes to the contract. 12 phone messages left unanswered, 6 emails never replied too. Not possible to have a business relationship

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank hallo686
Dear hallo686,

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip advisor, I am sorry to read that you found it difficult to enter into a business relationship with the Hotel, but I must comment on your version of events as you posted. As with all agents who enter into a business relationship with a Hotel where a large number of rooms (30% in this case) begin held a contract is drawn up which set out the terms and conditions for the booking. The contract offers security for both the agent and provider under the terms & conditions set out.
This contract was not accepted by you (nor was it Legally Flawed) and you were not prepared to enter into an agreement with the hotel, at such time we agreed to retain the block of rooms under the client name, as mentioned at this point we discounted the rate to the client less the value of commission which would have been due, this was accepted by both parties.
On the 30th of July which was the last email contact we had with the agent, they could not secure any confirmation of the booking and the agent could not contact the client. The small number of rooms which were previously reserved was released by the individuals, which left us with no option but to release the booking as no confirmation was forthcoming.

boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great location in the heart of Temple Bar Area but about 20% overpriced for what you get. Room was pretty small with very small window. On the positive side the front desk staff was helpful and security was good for that area.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Jack_b1

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us in September, I was delighted to read that you found our team very helpful and our Hotel very secure. On your next visit to Dublin please contact me directly and I will offer you our most competitive rate,

General Manger