“Green Bus Hop-on-off Dublin”
Review of DoDublin

Ranked #7 of 226 Tours in Dublin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: DoDublin - Dubliner's Guide to Dublin. Dublin's original hop on hop off tour, with the city's best award winning, Fáilte Ireland trained guides. Providing quality tours since 1988. Stopping at Dublin's major attractions such as Guinness Storehouse, Jameson Distillery Bow St, Kilmainham Gaol, Dublin Zoo, EPIC - The Irish Emigration Museum, and Bord Gais Energy Theatre. Live entertaining commentary, Multilingual recorded commentary. Free Walking Tour,Free entrance to the Little Museum of Dublin, Free Kids, Free Map and Discount Guide.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Green Bus Hop-on-off Dublin”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I wish my husband listened to me. We should have entirely skipped this tour, saved time and money, would not be freezing after all.

We had three drivers/guides, none were good. It was a disappointment. One spoke with a strong Gaelic accent and was impossible to understand. Another was much louder and difficult to understand at that volume. One spoke in a very flat, boring voice, with no enthusiasm whatsoever.

They presented almost no interesting information (only what is on the map or in the brief tour guide book) and no jokes or stories. One of the guides preferred to be silent while we were waiting in the congested and extremely slow downtown traffic. What we were doing was silently observing without real appreciation or understanding. Actually we did not see much, just facades of buildings. On each stop the guide highlighted one or two buildings, one or two historical facts.

In contrast to Dublin, the hop-on bus tour in NY was outstanding! The ride was much faster even on the NY streets. In Dublin the bus moves very slow and the guide does not bother to inform beyond the set spiel.

The discounts they advertise are not worth it and weren’t always honored as stated on the website. For example, Dublinia only allowed one euro off instead of two adults for the price of one.

That day in the middle of November the temperature was in the forties, the winds were 22-23 mph and, thanks God, no rain. It was freezing on the second deck. My winter Columbia hat was very handy. Woolen sweater, scarf, gloves, thick socks and warm shoes are highly recommended.

It is accurate that the buses circulate every 15 minutes.

Needless to say that the 1.5 hour bus tour is overpriced.

I would prefer a self-guided tour on public transportation even on a windy and rainy day. It requires time and effort to study public transportation maps and schedules in advance and creating your itinerary but it will give more of a flavor for the city and you will feel more adventurous.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank nina_swims
Miriam B, Manager at DoDublin, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that our tour did not live up to your expectations. Firstly regarding our guides they are all fully trained local Failte Ireland Guides practiced in the delivery of tours over microphones . Each guide brings something different to the tour which we feel is a benefit to our customers. We have a standard that our drivers aim to achieve if this has not been reached we will look into this so I thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Our tour lasts 1 hour 30 minutes which is ample time to see the best that Dublin has to offer. Occasionally due to traffic constraints it can take longer and buses can be stuck in traffic. This is beyond our control and we endeavor to entertain our passengers when this happens.
The discounts that we offer are deals that are arranged with attractions. The Dublinia deal was live a number of years ago and you are correct it is not valid now. It is not advertised in any of our printed material or directly on the website. It was an oversight on our part that you came across it online and we have arranged to have it removed from the site to avoid further confusion. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
You have raised a number of issues that we have taken on board and will use to further improve our service. Please do not hesitate to contact us on info@dublinsightseeing.ie if you return to Dublin.

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“A Tour and public transportation”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

A comprehensive city tour well narrated. The ticket is good for two days and these buses which leave stopping points every 15 minutes are an easy way to get around the city. although Dublin is very walkable, you often have the rain to contend with, so a bus pass that is easy to understand is a plus. They give you a map that shows the 25 stops they make and so it is easy to figure out how to get the bus to where you want to go. suggest doing the whole circuit first unless you are alreadyfamiliar with the city and then using it as local transportation. the entire circuit takes about an hour and 15 minutes.

1 Thank clabbers
Miriam B, Manager at DoDublin, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Clabbers,

Thank you kindly for your positive review of the Hop-On Hop-Off tour. It's always great to receive such great feedback.

It's a great idea to also use the tour as public transport! We also have the 3 Day Freedom Ticket which is a very popular option which includes all bus transport in Dublin- including the tour.

I would agree with your point of doing one loop of the city for those unfamiliar with Dublin, by doing a full live commentary tour you will get your bearings much more easily.

Thanks again for taking the time to review the tour.

Best regards,
Miriam.
Sungai Buloh, Selangor
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“It was awesome!”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I was originally a scaredy cat, but my friend already bought a ticket, so I had no choice.

But... Apart from the scary ghost stuff, it was a very good experience indeed! Rather than scary, i prefer the word spooky. It was really a great bus tour, very informative.

Also, credit to the tour guide, Vincent and the bus driver, Francis. Recommended to all! :)

1 Thank Syaeerah S
Miriam B, Manager at DoDublin, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Leyayeol,

Thanks for taking the time to review the Ghostbus Tour. It's brilliant to hear that you enjoyed the tour. We have a great team working on the Ghostbus and I shall pass on your kind feedback to the team.

Best regards,

Miriam.
Waltham, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very friendly and knowledgeable tour guides”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I used the Hop On Hop Off buses and they were very helpful. The live commentary was humorous and informative and I learned a lot about the city! I didn't realize that my hotel, the Croke Park Hotel, had a shuttle that connected me to where the tours start on O'Connell Street which saved me some walking.

One of the buses I used for a ride to the start of the tour was driven by Des who went out of his way to explain points of interest with an insider's view to me. I was impressed with how much the drivers love their city and they really want to see you have a good time. I picked my ticket up at Dublin Airport after buying it online, but you can buy a ticket on the bus as well. It was a great way to get to some of the attractions such as Guinness and Jameson that are a bit further out of center of the city. There are two routes for this tour. A main route around the city, and a shorter route that goes along the docks.

2 Thank Adam S
Miriam B, Manager at DoDublin, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review. I will pass it on to Des who will be delighted to get a mention.
San Gwann, Malta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great way to explore places of interest!”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I are generally in love with Ireland. In every city that we travel, hop on hop off is a must do. It's a great way to explore main landmarks whilst obtaining some knowledge along the way. Ideal if not travel part of a tour. Highly recommended!

1 Thank Sergio S
Miriam B, Manager at DoDublin, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Many thanks for your excellent review. Delighted you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you back again soon.