“loved the harding”
Review of Harding Hotel

Harding Hotel
Ranked #28 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed September 10, 2007

we stayed at harding for one night. we found the hotel extremely charming, our room exactly what we needed, really clean, hip, comfortable beds...and a great view out the window. the walk from harding to grafton street and temple bar were easy...it was a perfect place to stay in dublin.

would highly recommend this place. learned after booking through an internet site that if you use the Rick Steve's book and mention it through directly booking with the hotel they will give you a discount. also, ask for a room on one of the top floors as it is quieter.

finally the pub in the building is hit or miss. we went in early in the night and it had a great trad music going on. later, it was the horrible cover band. not that this affects your stay...

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kokopele
Write a ReviewReviews (2,323)

Reviewed September 5, 2007

Only stayed for one night just a whistle stop. First impressions very good, hotel receptionist very efficient, it looked clean. Room was ok, bed was hard, had ironing board,hairdryer,kettle & tv.
Bathroom was small but adequate, only problem was the shower no pressure there.

We only had a few hours to kill, courtesy of ryanair cancelling our early morning flight, so we stayed in the temple bar area. We thought the bar prices were very expensive 4 drinks on average cost 21-24 euro's, but will go back & def use the same hotel.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank oysterman
Reviewed September 1, 2007

This review is long overdo, but I just found the notes that I took while I stayed at the Harding Hotel, so I'm posting them now.

GETTING TO THE HOTEL: I arrived in Dublin in the evening, and I took the Aircoach from the airport to downtown Dublin (Runs every 15 minutes or so, between 7-12 euros). I got off at the Trinity College stop. From Trinity college, you can walk along Dame Street to Lord Edward Street. Then turn right onto Fishamble street (immediately before Christ Church cathedral). The Harding Hotel is on the right, position on the street corner.

HOTEL OVERALL: I was first struck by the fact that the hotel was immaculate, yet cozy (well...cozy in a "dorm room" sort of way). Nothing makes me happier than a very clean and neat place to stay. The reception staff was also very welcoming and friendly, another plus. If you can get a room on the upper floor, the view of the cathedral is just amazing, especially during twilight. Last little perk: the hotel also had a small adjoining pub, where I sat and had my first pint of Guiness on Irish soil.

HOTEL LOCATION: The location was wonderful, within close proximity to everything you might want to see. There are also shops close by where you can pick up a cheap sandwich and water, and a great pub/ restaurant just across the street on the corner with the most amazing Irish stew.

ROOM: After checking in, I wound my way up the stairs to my room. The room had two twin beds - both of which were very hard, but I was exhausted, so I didn't care. The room had two great windows with an absolutely spectucular view of the cathedral, which was directly across the street. The bathroom was very small and utilitarian (but at least it had a hair dryer). The shower was odd, consisting of a warm spray of water that got all over the bathroom floor.

NOISE: The hotel itself was very quiet. The problem was the street noise. There was a hostel nearby, and - apparently - the street was a major thoroughfare for pub-goers. Although I was on the third floor, I was awakened - literally - every hour by (obviously) very drunk people on the street until 3:45am. Had I been about 10 years younger, I would have loved this - and I probably would have gone out and joined in the fun. But as it was, I was tired and not pleased at all. In addition, the flip-side of having a fabulous close-up view of the cathedral was that the cathedral bells starting ringing at...yep...4:00am for matins. So, even with earplugs and a sleeping pill, I got a grand total of 15 minutes of sleep. Nope, not happy at all.

OVERALL: This hotel would be great for younger, college-aged travelers, especially those on a budget. I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Shamrocker tour, which departed from the hostel next door. Although I thought the hotel itself was just fine - and I had no real complaints with it -the street noise alone would probably make me choose another location. That said, if I had been in college and had arrived in Dublin with a fun and rowdy group, then it would have been just perfect!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank Travel_Chick5
Reviewed September 1, 2007

What a great hotel for the money we paid. We stayed 4 nights Mon- Fri, we asked for a double when booking but we got a very spacious room with 3 single beds which was decorated in a contemporary style. Beech furniture, suede effect fabric covering the bed bases, terracotta and sand wall coverings. We also had a hairdryer, tea/coffee making facilities, a trouser press, ironing board, iron, mini fridge and the usual tv, phone etc. Excellent facilities for a 3* hotel. Although the ceiling in the bathroom was showing signs of mildew, it was kept spotlessly clean. The friendly cleaners were in the room every day, and towels changed frequently.
It had a restaurant attached to the hotel which we had breakfast (included in price) every morning and we had dinner the first night we arrived. Food very good.
The location was just off the Temple Bar area, loads of pubs/eating places within a few hundred yards.
I would recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank paulineandstu
Reviewed August 12, 2007

Just back in the UK after 3 nights at the Harding, Dublin. I wasn't expecting anything too special from a budget priced single room with B&B, but was pleasantly surprised. Friendly courteous staff, nice clean room, very spacious shower room ensuite and a great view of the anglican cathedral outside my window. The full Irish breakfast was excellent and served to the table within a minute (possibly because I like to breakfast early). The location is idea for a whistlestop trip to Dublin and the hotel is just 15 minutes walk from the bus station, from which the Airlink buses drop you off from the airport. For those that like the "night-life" the hotel is on the fringes of the re-vamped Temple Bar area, which is a bit like Covent Garden with shamrocks. One word of warning - close the windows at night, it can be quite noisy after midnight, but the windows are modern and double glazed and cut out nearly all the noise. The hotel bar was dissappointing, being nearly always far too short on customers, but the Karma, bar (decked out in mock Thai) of the hotel next door named after a composer I can't remember, was very popular and busy and sadly I didn't find out until my final night that it served about the cheapest pint of Guinness in town. I would definitely recommend the Harding for the single traveller and especially for those on a tight budget.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
9  Thank Notthedrapster
Reviewed August 9, 2007

The Harding Hotel is very well positioned to access all parts of Dublin, with the Guinness Factory to the west & Temple bar / O'Connell street to the East. The hotel is good value for money for a 2/3 star hotel & contrary to other reviews we though the breakfast was pretty reasonable. The only criticism we had was that at weekends it got pretty noisy outside with people leaving bars etc & we were on the top floor.! Also at weekends the Christ Church opposite goes into over drive with the bell ringing, every quarter hour One thing that would have been nice, to have heard the odd Irish voice at the hotel to give you the sense of being in Ireland, Other than that it was an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Snarlup
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Arrived in Dublin in the morning and it was a short walk from the bus to the Harding Hotel. We were not due to check in until later in the day but the staff were helpful and allowed us to leave our bags in reception so we could explore Dublin. Its in a great location and its only a short walk to Temple Bar and O'Connel Street. The rooms were of a very high standards with lovely comfortable beds, plenty of room and a spatious bathroom.
After our night out in Dublin we went back to the hotel praying for the bar to be open, it was and the staff were very accomodating serving us drinks till 5am!
The breakfast was good with a choice of Irish breakfast or Continental breakfast. Overall the hotel was superb, clean, quiet and very friendly would definately go back there!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank jaytar