“Rooms too small” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, IL
“Rooms too small”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2006

Do not accept room 516, it is the smallest room I have ever seen in my life. We had to get switched the 2nd night due to claustrophobia! Our friends who were traveling with us got a room with 2 twin beds, they felt like Lucy & Ricky!

Outdated, hard to find, too small, however the staff was very nice!

• Liked — It had a bar
  • Disliked — The rooms were too small and no internet access
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't accept room 516, so small
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank scrappyd
Cooley05, Manager at O'Callaghan Mont Clare Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2015

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Finnish first
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2006

I was in Dublin in November and thought I should write a review of the Mont Clare Hotel because I was very pleased with it. I was on a tour and it was our Dublin hotel. When on a tour I always wonder about the quality of the hotels included in the package. I've had some poor ones but I was not disappointed with this hotel. I was alone but paid the single supplement and had a very nice double room. It was very clean and nicely furnished. In addition, the staff could not have been nicer. Good breakfast too. I would stay again.

Gary m, Manager at O'Callaghan Mont Clare Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback and delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your lovely comments will be passed on to the staff concerned and we do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2006

Our hotel room was broken into on the first night we were there and the hotel staff did not do anything about it. Our luggage was rummaged through, we notified the hotel staff and they did not put us in another room nor compensated us for our stolen items nor for the scary and miserable nights we spent at this hotel. They were unsympathetic, and acted as if we made the whole thing up. We finally decided to report this to the police, and the police came and took a report from us. There is currently a police report on file pertaining to this incident.

Also, the staff at this hotel is not knowledgable about their own city. If you ask questions, they act bothered and don't know the answers. They simply want to book you into their hotel, get your money, and want to be left alone. The staff and management do not follow through with what they say they are going to do. The only thing they know how to do is call a taxi cab for you. They have no knowledge about bus schedules nor tour guides. The rooms are also extremely small, but charming and quaint. Had we felt more safe in this hotel we might have enjoyed our room more, and our stay in Ireland in general. I do not recommend staying in this hotel, but if you do, then I do recommend asking if there are any reports of rooms being broken into and of personal items being stolen from the rooms. If they say no, they are lying!

8 Thank 2t8a
GeneralManagement, General Manager at O'Callaghan Mont Clare Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2006
Dear Writer of the "Beware! Stay Away!" review,

Following many failed attempts to contact you directly I hope you do not mind me liaising with you through TripAdvisor.

Firstly, can I express my extreme disappointment at the review. We strive very hard to ensure our guests are well looked after and in this case we find ourselves at a loss. Our senior Managers on duty during your stay have no knowledge of the complaint and it is not recorded in hotel logs. Only today we have contacted the Garda at Pearse Street Station to again receive the verification that they have no official complaint regarding the outlined incident.

I hope you can therefore appreciate my dilemma and if you are in a position to supply me with any further information I would be very grateful.

On a final note, I do apologise if you felt our staff were unhelpful in relation to city information. Our team is kept very much up to date by local suppliers of developments with local public transport arrangements and new places for dining and socialising. As you will be aware there is a stand by our reception with a number of flyers, brochures and timetables relating to information on Dublin.

As you felt there was a lack of knowledge, I held an internal team meeting for concierge and front office staff with a number of local suppliers as a refresher.

Finally, if I can refer to the comment "They simply want to book you into their hotel, get your money... and be left alone." As General Manager of this hotel I would like to emphasise that this is not our agenda. Our business is hospitality. Without customers there is no reason for my team and me to come to work each day. I do want to reassure you that it is our constant aim to match and exceed our clients expectations.

An independent Market Research carried out at O'Callaghan Hotels in 2005 has shown that 97% of our clients were satisfied with their experience. 28% of those felt we excelled.

You will therefore understand my disappointment seeing this review.

Wishing you the very best and look forward to hearing from you

Karen Doneghan
Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2006

I have over the years visited Dublin a few times and stayed in various hotels. This hotel was all round the best, for the following reasons;

It is in a great location as previously stated in other reviews, it is also located in 'a nicer part of town'. I have stayed in lovely hotels (one in particular) but, had to walk though unfavourable areas to get to the city centre. It is very close to the airport and city tour bus stops, it was also very manageable for my 75 year old mother to walk into Dublin city centre.

The rooms are pretty small but very clean, extra blankets are available and our room had air conditioning and a radiator which could be controlled by us.

On arrival I asked for a room at the back but there were only doubles available, didn't really fancy sharing with my mum! The hotel appears to be on a busy road and we were right at the front on the first floor. There is a fair bit of traffic during rush hour but at night the street is very quiet, no pubs etc. too near by and hardly any traffic.

The breakfast variety might drive you made if you stayed for weeks on end but, we stayed 4 nights and didn't tire of the options.

Trust me overall this is a very reasonable, clean and well located hotel. In the past I have stayed in the Camden Court and Jury's at Crook Park, they were lovely hotels but, miles out of town!

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank DollyPond1
Thank you for your feedback and delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2006

Location was perfect although the hotel was a bit run down. Furnished with period furniture that was a bit passed its sell by date. The deco was fine but the rooms are not maintained properly. The blinds in the bathroom didn't work so I couldn't open then to get light in. The remote cotrol was broken and fixed with zelotape.

The breakfast selection is not worth it, there is barely any choice and considering that you pay 14 euros for it you are better off going to a nearby cafe.

The restaurant wasn't great neither.

3 Thank marujilla80

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2006

I highly recommend this hotel. It is in a great location. Only 10 mins from Grafton Street where the best shopping is and in the side streets some nice restaurants. It is 5 mins from Trinity College - everything is in walking distance included O'Connell Street. The hotel is clean, the staff courteous and professional, and the ground floor bar is very pleasant. The airport coach bus stop is 1 min walk away! Yes, about 20m away for both arrival and departures. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2006