New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Sussex

The Sussex
Ranked #18 of 2,450 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Irish, Bar, European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Valley Mills, Texas
“Jewel across the canal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Staying near Lower Leeson I wanted a casual restaurant with great food and thanks to #31's recommendation I found it. Out of our 4 nights in Dublin we ate dinner here 3 times, to me, that says something. Not wanting to walk forever we found a delightful and wonderful place for fine Irish food in this restaurant. Décor was great, music was just as good as was entire dining experience. Our party tried the Shepherds Pie, Rib Eye Steak, Fish n Chips, Salad with goat cheese and pecans, Chocolate Dessert and Lemon Pouisset (sp?) with Rosemary infusion as my personal favorite dessert. We found nothing wanting. Just so you know I save Excellent
ratings for my fine dining experiences but for that I would have rated it Excellent for casual and great food.

• Visited July 2013

• Polish first
DK
“Little Gem in a Diamond of a city!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Food was great and for central Dublin was really good value, Tasty, ,decent portions ,would recommend a visit!!

• Visited June 2013
Gulf Breeze, Florida
“Wonderful! Don't miss it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stopped in for lunch on our first day in Dublin. Checked trip advisor (it was in the top ten of 1,100 and only a few blocks away.) We were thrilled to find it as quaint and clean as the photos. Our server was more than pleasant. She was attentive but not intrusive, and even returned with a printed exchange rate for us after we causally mentioned it.

My salad was one of the best I ever had. It was called the superfood salad and it was just perfect after a Long trip of eating not-so-good food on the run & in airports. It was so nice to be able to depend on trip advisor & not wander around trying to find a good place to eat.

Visited July 2013
Unteraegeri
“What a surprisingly fine restaurant, great food, great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We never ever expected in this part of the city at lower Leeson Street such a fine place: great Irish atmosphere, nice selection of wines,and the food is among the best we have had in Dublin. It is well worth the walk to go there and enjoy. Immaculate service, and very moderate price.

Visited June 2013
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quirky, tasty and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I went to the Sussex with my wife and 2 year old daughter for dinner. The atmosphere was lively, the food was great and place was really accommodating. One of the few restaurants that seem to understand what blue means when it comes to steak. It's worth noting that our waiter was nice but either overly busy or forgetful as he forgot our drinks after taking our order and again later but the manager picked up on both occasions without us needing to ask. Also the glass of Prosecco I ordered was warmer than I'd expect but before I had time to ask the waiter, my daughter resolved the issue with an ice cube. Petty complaints aside, a really great place.

• Visited June 2013