“Jewel across the canal”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Staying near Lower Leeson I wanted a casual restaurant with great food and thanks to #31's recommendation I found it. Out of our 4 nights in Dublin we ate dinner here 3 times, to me, that says something. Not wanting to walk forever we found a delightful and wonderful place for fine Irish food in this restaurant. Décor was great, music was just as good as was entire dining experience. Our party tried the Shepherds Pie, Rib Eye Steak, Fish n Chips, Salad with goat cheese and pecans, Chocolate Dessert and Lemon Pouisset (sp?) with Rosemary infusion as my personal favorite dessert. We found nothing wanting. Just so you know I save Excellent
ratings for my fine dining experiences but for that I would have rated it Excellent for casual and great food.

There are newer reviews for The Sussex

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Food was great and for central Dublin was really good value, Tasty, ,decent portions ,would recommend a visit!!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stopped in for lunch on our first day in Dublin. Checked trip advisor (it was in the top ten of 1,100 and only a few blocks away.) We were thrilled to find it as quaint and clean as the photos. Our server was more than pleasant. She was attentive but not intrusive, and even returned with a printed exchange rate for us after we causally mentioned it.

My salad was one of the best I ever had. It was called the superfood salad and it was just perfect after a Long trip of eating not-so-good food on the run & in airports. It was so nice to be able to depend on trip advisor & not wander around trying to find a good place to eat.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We never ever expected in this part of the city at lower Leeson Street such a fine place: great Irish atmosphere, nice selection of wines,and the food is among the best we have had in Dublin. It is well worth the walk to go there and enjoy. Immaculate service, and very moderate price.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I went to the Sussex with my wife and 2 year old daughter for dinner. The atmosphere was lively, the food was great and place was really accommodating. One of the few restaurants that seem to understand what blue means when it comes to steak. It's worth noting that our waiter was nice but either overly busy or forgetful as he forgot our drinks after taking our order and again later but the manager picked up on both occasions without us needing to ask. Also the glass of Prosecco I ordered was warmer than I'd expect but before I had time to ask the waiter, my daughter resolved the issue with an ice cube. Petty complaints aside, a really great place.