“Deserves to be higher than #9”
Review of The Sussex

The Sussex
Ranked #28 of 2,721 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Excellent; went with colleagues on the basis of reviews and the on-line menu. Very pleased that both were on the money. Fantastic food in a great place. Upstairs dining area in a classic corner pub. €50 a head seems to be the going rate for good grub in Dublin and we had excellent value for our money. Would happily return if I was in Dublin again.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

A very nice restaurant away from the tourist area. I came across this place after searching on TripAdvisor for a place near our hotel and was very please we went there. We got there quite early and I suggest either going early or making a reservation. Don’t let the bar downstairs put you off. Great service and atmosphere; I much preferred it to the Temple Bar area. I really enjoyed my main course, though unfortunately, my husband wasn’t too impressed by his. Main courses range from about 16-23 euro.

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Ok cards on the table, I'm friends with the co-owners brother and ate with him; but every other table looked like they enjoyed The Sussex as much as we did, with the polished plates round us!

Above a nice pub, O'Brien's, it has the feel of an upmarket pub itself.

We ordered from the set menu - €21 for 2 courses or €25 for 3, so I knew we were gonna get great value but I wondered if the portions were going to be on the small side (I needn't have worried!)

Brown bread on arrival was excellent and we happily had seconds. The lads had Squash soup, really liked it. I had the ham hock terrine with hollandaise - super flavours

For Mains: Steak, served with fries - looked great. And 2 baked cods, served with mash and asparagus - lovely size portion of everything, perfectly cooked fish, great tasty mash. An excellent special

Decided to push the boat out for dessert: Lemon Possets (creamy mousse consistency, nice finish) and a Cheesecake. Washed down by coffee and a cool old school massive pot of mint tea.

Service throughout was quick, friendly, casual but professional. This is a laid back place that takes its work seriously!

All in all a super meal that I'll be telling everyone about to go and check out this hidden gem

And made all the nicer for Mark's lovely generosity to get the bill. Next treat mine!

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Had a sensational dinner at the Sussex. We didn't have a reservation but were found a table after a short trip to the bar downstairs for a drink. The ham hock with poached egg, sour dough with hollendase starter was amazing. Followed up with the black pudding salad and a chocolate chip bread and butter pudding. My wife had the cod special which was also fabulous. A great atmosphere and exceptionally friendly service too.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

If I was forced to pick a negative about the Sussex it would be that the food is so good that it inhibits conversation at a family meal! From the delicious brown bread, great wine selection and well made and presented starters and mains everything was top rate. The staff are friendly and were happy to take our varied food requests! We had six different mains and 4 starters, each and every one was perfectly cooked, perfect potions and beautiful flavours. Highly recommended.