“A perfect evening”
Review of Locks Brasserie - CLOSED

Locks Brasserie
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fine dining restaurant offering superlative standards of modern Irish and French cuisine.Locks also offers several choices of private fine dining rooms from an intimate single oval table in our Green Room for private corporate or family events to groups up to 20 people in our Silver Room and larger groups and celebrations for up to forty in one room or 75 in several rooms. Locks Brasserie is licensed to host civil wedding ceremonies, intimate weddings, receptions, lunches and dinners. Intimate weddings are a wonderful celebration shared with a select group of friends and close family, they seek a more exclusive and intimate feel. We believe that Locks Brasserie is an ideal venue to celebrate a stylish, understated, quirky, intimate wedding. Locks is blessed with several dining rooms which can cater for family parties or larger groups. The maximum number of people the restaurant can cater for in one room is 40 people. In separate rooms we can cater for up to 75 people.
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Dined here last night and it was a very special evening. Everything was perfect, from the setting of the table to the excellent service and the food, of course! The tasting menu was an absolute treat with the matching selection of wine. Beautiful decor of plates. The restaurant has a great atmosphere with its wonderful location, kind of laid-back simplicity and attention to the smallest details. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Zsófia F
DCM1982, Public Relations Manager at Locks Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Thank you for your review of Locks Brasserie when you dined with us in June. We are delighted that you found everything to be perfect, it's a lot of work from all the team to get a response like that, we will pass it on to the staff.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Dined here last Friday evening, having often driven by it and wondered what it was like!

I was not disappointed. It was perfect. I honestly couldn't fault anything. Myself and my partner went with the early bird menu, which was two courses for €25 and was very good value. We ordered wine, sides, a dessert and coffee at an extra cost.

The atmosphere in the restaurant was really relaxed and welcoming with a mix of families, groups of friends and couples dining that evening. The service is attentive but not overly so. I would highly recommend it, especially for a group of people to celebrate an occasion.

We will certainly be back. Thank you for a lovely evening!

Thank you for your review of Locks Brasserie; we are delighted to have made a special evening so perfect.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I've eaten in Locks three times now. Once in its previous incarnation (pre-Michelin Star) and twice since. In terms of food and service it has never failed to disappoint. Situated on the canal, an upstairs window sear affords lovely views. It benefits from being a little out of the city centre which allows a more relaxing atmosphere. The service is refined and relaxed at the same time (our waiter wore the full black uniform but with a pair of converse). I had the White Onion Veloute to start which was rich and delicious, and the Monkfish for main which was excellent with lots going on on the plate. The only drawback was a lack of atmosphere which I noticed that last time I ate there too. Maybe it was due to the fact that we were eating early (6:30pm) as it did seem to be picking up a bit when we were leaving, but there were very few other diners in the restaurant. Hope it picks up, it deserves it.

Thank you for your review of Locks Brasserie, we are always delighted to welcome back a regular diner and look forward to welcoming you again soon. The restaurant is a little quieter in the early evening, but we now offer a great value early bird so we should see more people arriving earlier.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We booked Locks for our date night. We were seated at a table upstairs by the window which was lovely. The restaurant was pretty and comfortable and the girl serving us was a dream. That's where the best things started and ended.

My partner ordered a starter which he liked, we ordered mains and the delay in them arriving to the table was way too long, they did apologise but we were starving and had filled up on a 2nd bread basket at this stage as we were so hungry. The food was ok, nothing amazing. My partner ordered duck and when it arrived the presentation was sloppy as if it had fallen on the way from the kitchen to the table. This and the delay on the course was disappointing. We ordered desserts which were fine again nothing to write home about.

We left the restaurant disappointed, for the money we spent (€190) we felt that it did not deserve to be charging such high prices. Maybe if you were getting an early bird and weren't paying the full prices it would be a better experience.

My partner loves Pearl Brasserie (sister restaurant) and previously Locks but he was so disappointed with the night.

Thank you for your review of Locks Brasserie, we are sorry that on this occasion your experience did not live up to expectations. We would love to have the opportunity of winning you over if you ever decide to return to Locks.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Locks Brasserie is located in Portobello which is about a 15 minute walk away from the Grafton Street/St Stephen's Green area. The restaurant itself looks out on to the Grand Canal and is a lovely tranquil setting for a lunch or dinner.

H and I have been coming here since before Locks got and then lost its Michelin Star. This was the first time we had been since Rory Carville had left as head chef and Keelan Higgs had taken over. It was obvious on first inspection of the menu that there was a new chef in town.

I had the oxtail hash to start which was a bit of a misnomer as the large duck egg on top was clearly the lead actor of the dish. It was a tad too salty for my taste, but overall fine. H had what we thought at the time was an octopus carpaccio (that didn't seem to taste like octopus), but when we reviewed the menu later it seemed that the trotter carpaccio had been ordered instead. Whatever the dish was it was probably not something to revisit.

Mains were much more successful. I had the monkfish which came with lots of asparagus and cucumber. There was also an oxtail ravioli which I could have done without. H had lamb which was cooked perfectly. Contrary to some reviews below, I felt portions were quite substantial for what they were and I actually would prefer a lighter touch to the food so I don't feel bloated before I've had dessert. Less would definitely be more in my book.

And speaking of which the one thing that hasn't changed is how good the creme brulee is! Delicious! H had the lemon tart which was zingy and all the things a lemon dessert should be, My creme brulee was nicer though.

All of the above including a bottle of red wine, a bottle of sparkling water and coffee/tea with petit fours came to €127.50 (without tip).