“Relaxed Michelin Dining”
Review of Locks Brasserie - CLOSED

Locks Brasserie
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fine dining restaurant offering superlative standards of modern Irish and French cuisine.Locks also offers several choices of private fine dining rooms from an intimate single oval table in our Green Room for private corporate or family events to groups up to 20 people in our Silver Room and larger groups and celebrations for up to forty in one room or 75 in several rooms. Locks Brasserie is licensed to host civil wedding ceremonies, intimate weddings, receptions, lunches and dinners. Intimate weddings are a wonderful celebration shared with a select group of friends and close family, they seek a more exclusive and intimate feel. We believe that Locks Brasserie is an ideal venue to celebrate a stylish, understated, quirky, intimate wedding. Locks is blessed with several dining rooms which can cater for family parties or larger groups. The maximum number of people the restaurant can cater for in one room is 40 people. In separate rooms we can cater for up to 75 people.
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Went for our first visit to Locks for a weekend lunch. Staff were very friendly, genuine, and helpful with our young toddler, and looked after him very well during the dinner. Starters of sweetcorn soup (with truffle and trompettes) and the salmon were both very tasty. We went for one of the more inexpensive wines (a half carafe as we were driving) which was very pleasant. The only downside was that the mains seemed a little oversalted (both the pork cheek and the tempura). Vegetables ordered as a side were good, especially the broccoli. Creme Brulee was delicious, and coffee came with some nice petit fours. Overall the very relaxed atmosphere, friendly and unfussy service made for an extremely pleasant meal and afternoon. Great value too: recommended.

There are newer reviews for Locks Brasserie

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had been aware of this restaurant for some time but always assumed that its sister establishment in the city, Pearl Brasserie, was the more refinied eatery.
After it was recently awarded of a Michelin star, I heard that they would be keeping their €22 2 course menu until the end of the year so I was keen to try it while it was available.
I dined there early on a Tuesday evening and the small dining room was half full, although when we were leaving somebody looking for a table was told that they were fully booked so it seems that a reservation is a must.

There was a choice of 3 starters and 3 mains with deserts available for an additional €6.
I went for the arancini and pork cheeks while my brother had sweetcorn veloute followed by lemon sole.
I think I got the best of the orders with a small but tasty starter and a rich and filling main.
We got side orders of chips/fries and dauphinoise (both €3.50) - the gratin was delicious but the chips were a little disappointing.
After our potato indulgence we didn't have room for desert but finished with coffees which came with a single dark chocolate filled with ganache - it was salted and I was very tempted to order another coffee just to get a second bite of the petit four.

Service throughout was excellent and we had two modestly priced glasses of wine with our meal.
I would definitely like to return at some point to tackle the á la carte or a tasting menu but until then I was happy to snap up a fine dining bargain.

1  Thank Uppsaldown
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had been intending to visit Locks for some time so a birthday in our family and the awarding of.a Michelin star in theirs, prompted us to book lunch there recently. As we ordered both from the set and a la carte lunch menus, we got to sample a lot of the dishes. Some of them were excellent, others were less impressive. In fairness, there was no short changing with the set menu -eg. the arancini starter and the blue cheese cannelloni from the set menu were two of the highlights of the meal. From the a la carte, the foie gras was top notch (but that's a matter of sourcing not cooking) and the rabbit was beautifully presented and a great combination of flavour and texture. Less successful was the monkfish and lentil dish with spicy infusion - it was o.k. but for the price, not much monkfish and the other ingredients dominated the flavour of the fish. Deserts were disappointing - very poor ice-cream, average creme brulee and a slightly better but expensive panna cotta.
The most disappointing aspect of our visit was the quality of the service - it was patchy and certainly not Michelin star standard. The welcome was warm and relaxed and initially attentive. However as the restaurant filled up, things began to unravel.The waiting staff were very pleasant but could not keep up as the restaurant became busier. At one stage, I had to wait about 40 minutes with both my wine and water glasses empty. At another stage, the water was dispensed so quickly that it was splashed over the table.There did not appear to be a dedicated sommelier to help with wine recommendations - generally they appeared to be understaffed.
The bathrooms , while clean, did not have the sink areas wiped down and I was a little underwhelmed by the toiletries - two plastic containers of Carex! When I was coming back downstairs from the bathroom, I waited to allow a diner up the narrow stairs and just as I began to go down, a waitress who saw me standing there, proceeded up the stairs, forcing me to wait again and did not thank or acknowledge me in any way when she reached the top.
So to sum up - if you want a good value 22 euro two course lunch in a pleasant relaxed venue, this is the place for you. We expected more -a consistent excellence of food, wines, service and ambiance which we associate with Michelin and it did not meet that expectation. Two of us had lunched in Town Bar and Grill the previous day and much of the food was of a comparable standard and the service was better!

2  Thank goggsDublin
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the best value for a Michelin Star restaurant -anywhere.

You must try the early treat 2-course meal.

The only quibble is that the wine list could be a bit more exciting, that said, the do sell many

wines by the glass and carafe which you can taste in advance.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Like many people we decided to revisit this restaurant after it acquired a Michelin star. Our expectations were high since we’ve had great meals in the parent/sister restaurant Pearl Brasserie. We decided to try it out initially with the “value” 2-course menu at €22, which looked like excellent value for a Michelin star restaurant. We were greeted warmly and the atmosphere and décor are attractive. The bathrooms are clean but basic, no paper towels. We got a basket of bread from which I tried a slice of ciabatta and one of brioche, both of which were a little stale. Starters were a sweetcorn velouté with trompette de mort & black truffle duxelles, which was nicely presented but lacking in flavour, and a ballotine of slow poached salmon, which was tasty but did not appear to be poached at all but rather completely raw. I had no problem with this, but it was surprising, and it was quite cold and not very flavoursome. It was accompanied by a red pepper basquaise, pickled cucumber and apple and lemon purée, all of which were tasty but did not harmonise. One main course was a tempura of sole which was overcooked and although the tempura was suitably light, it was soggy, very disappointing. It was accompanied by potato & mussel curry which was lovely and a "Colombo" foam which was unremarkable. Two of us had a slow braised pork cheek which was tender and delicious with its gremolata, though the accompanying cassoulet, roast tomato and lardo were irrelevant distractions. We had sides of french beans and broccoli both of which arrived cold, I mean really cold. They were willingly replaced but this should not happen. Desserts were a lemon Eton Mess which came in a pot and was very disappointing, more marshmallow than meringue and all too tightly bound up in the pot, and a banana parfait with peanut butter ice cream which was delicious. Wine is good value with half bottle and glass being proportionately priced to the bottle, we had a lovely Viognier and an equally tasty Spanish whose name I forget, mainly Monastrell. Service was amateur, pleasant enough but lacking in confidence, waiter knocked over our bottle of wine (before it was open) and broke a small dish though no harm done to us. A pleasant enough meal at a reasonable price but astonishing that this is worth a Michelin star. We’ve had much better experiences at Pearl Brasserie, and the unstarred Greenhouse, though it’s not perfect, is in a different class. It’s impossible to say how much better the à la carte menu would have been, but the value menu should surely be the bait to bring you back, and as far as we’re concerned if they can’t get this right there is something lacking.

5  Thank SkeffIreland