“Top Value”
Review of Locks Brasserie - CLOSED

Locks Brasserie
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Fine dining restaurant offering superlative standards of modern Irish and French cuisine.Locks also offers several choices of private fine dining rooms from an intimate single oval table in our Green Room for private corporate or family events to groups up to 20 people in our Silver Room and larger groups and celebrations for up to forty in one room or 75 in several rooms. Locks Brasserie is licensed to host civil wedding ceremonies, intimate weddings, receptions, lunches and dinners. Intimate weddings are a wonderful celebration shared with a select group of friends and close family, they seek a more exclusive and intimate feel. We believe that Locks Brasserie is an ideal venue to celebrate a stylish, understated, quirky, intimate wedding. Locks is blessed with several dining rooms which can cater for family parties or larger groups. The maximum number of people the restaurant can cater for in one room is 40 people. In separate rooms we can cater for up to 75 people.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the best value for a Michelin Star restaurant -anywhere.

You must try the early treat 2-course meal.

The only quibble is that the wine list could be a bit more exciting, that said, the do sell many

wines by the glass and carafe which you can taste in advance.

There are newer reviews for Locks Brasserie

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Like many people we decided to revisit this restaurant after it acquired a Michelin star. Our expectations were high since we’ve had great meals in the parent/sister restaurant Pearl Brasserie. We decided to try it out initially with the “value” 2-course menu at €22, which looked like excellent value for a Michelin star restaurant. We were greeted warmly and the atmosphere and décor are attractive. The bathrooms are clean but basic, no paper towels. We got a basket of bread from which I tried a slice of ciabatta and one of brioche, both of which were a little stale. Starters were a sweetcorn velouté with trompette de mort & black truffle duxelles, which was nicely presented but lacking in flavour, and a ballotine of slow poached salmon, which was tasty but did not appear to be poached at all but rather completely raw. I had no problem with this, but it was surprising, and it was quite cold and not very flavoursome. It was accompanied by a red pepper basquaise, pickled cucumber and apple and lemon purée, all of which were tasty but did not harmonise. One main course was a tempura of sole which was overcooked and although the tempura was suitably light, it was soggy, very disappointing. It was accompanied by potato & mussel curry which was lovely and a "Colombo" foam which was unremarkable. Two of us had a slow braised pork cheek which was tender and delicious with its gremolata, though the accompanying cassoulet, roast tomato and lardo were irrelevant distractions. We had sides of french beans and broccoli both of which arrived cold, I mean really cold. They were willingly replaced but this should not happen. Desserts were a lemon Eton Mess which came in a pot and was very disappointing, more marshmallow than meringue and all too tightly bound up in the pot, and a banana parfait with peanut butter ice cream which was delicious. Wine is good value with half bottle and glass being proportionately priced to the bottle, we had a lovely Viognier and an equally tasty Spanish whose name I forget, mainly Monastrell. Service was amateur, pleasant enough but lacking in confidence, waiter knocked over our bottle of wine (before it was open) and broke a small dish though no harm done to us. A pleasant enough meal at a reasonable price but astonishing that this is worth a Michelin star. We’ve had much better experiences at Pearl Brasserie, and the unstarred Greenhouse, though it’s not perfect, is in a different class. It’s impossible to say how much better the à la carte menu would have been, but the value menu should surely be the bait to bring you back, and as far as we’re concerned if they can’t get this right there is something lacking.

5  Thank SkeffIreland
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The food here is simply outstanding. My Panna Cotta with honeycomb, raspberry gel and balsamico drops was divine. Both our mains were simply great as well.

The one thing that turned me down a bit (just a tad, tiny bit) was the list of digestifs. It would be great if they could match the very high quality of the food with equally high spirits for dessert. Besides that insignificant remark, this place by far has been the best place I had dinner anywhere in Ireland. Really, really worth the price.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Old canalside shop premises done up in clean modern style. Busy, best to book. Excellent staff, almost too attentive in being asked at least four times if our starters were OK. Small a la carte menu, six starters, six mains with fish prominent. Presentation 100% : food almost as good. The foie gras with various pear accompaniments was amazing, though the snails in watercress risotto seemed a little bland. Hake had a sublime sauce and the confit of rabbit with girolles was first class. Excellent veg and we shared a perfect creme brulee. Bill E120 but well worth it, aqnd a great atmosphere.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The decor of Locks has an informal Brasserie feel about it but the food is definitly more formal and upmarket. The option for a 22 euro two course set menu was available but we choose a la carte with the final bill being 150 euro (for two people). This included 3 courses, a bottle of wine and 2 after diner drinks. My favourite dish was the main course of quail and fois gras - beautifully presented and tasted truly amazing! The other main course of Hake tasted great but was a little disappointing in presentation. It was lacking finishing touches and was just a plate of "white" - white fish and white sauce - but as I said tasted great.
I also wasn't overly impressed with the dessert of Eton Mess. Don't get me wrong it was very nice but I guess I am comparing Locks to other Michelin Star restaurants. If this restaurant didn't have a star I would have been very impressed as my expectation would have been lower. But it does have a Michelin Star now so I expect perfection and it missed the mark on that. Definitely very good and absolutely worth a visit but slightly less than what I expect from a Michelin Star restaurant.

2  Thank siobhan999_12