“Good experience”
Review of Abbey Theatre

Abbey Theatre
Ranked #38 of 546 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: The Abbey Theatre's founders W.B. Yeats and Lady Gregory had the vision to 'bring upon the stage the deeper thoughts and emotions of Ireland'. Our ambitious artistic programme of classic Irish drama and new Irish writing holds a mirror up to Irish society. Over the years, the Abbey has nurtured and premiered the work of major Irish playwrights such as Marina Carr, Frank McGuinness, Tom Murphy and a new generation of writers such as Richard Dormer, Stacey Gregg, Nancy Harris and Elaine Murphy. We also nurture a new generation of Irish artists through our artistic development programmes and commitment to discovering new acting, writing and directing talent.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have been to the Abbey theatre a number of times. My most recent visit was to see a performance of King Lear. The staff were efficient and performed well. We did find it difficult to purchase a programme as it was being sold at the bar and coffee dock and there was a very long, slow queue. I would have expected maybe a seller or two on the floor as i have experienced in the concert hall. The play itself was good with the highlights being the staging and the acting of some of the characters such as Edward. It is worth experiencing a play in the Abbey.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is a wonderful theatre with an extremely friendly and helpful staff. I arrived in travelling clothes but was made to feel very comfortable by the staff. The play was excellent and this playwright certainly understands the relationships of women. I booked this the day before so it is worth seeing what is on when you are visiting.

2  Thank Leslie T
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I try to go to the Abbey as often as I can. The new face lift really improves the place and always has a terrific show.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

A visit to the Abbey Theatre is to Irish theatre buffs like a pilgrimage to mecca may be for other fanatics. Not only is the backstage tour well-worth the 6 euro as a well-informed guide not only explains the famous history of the national theatre of Ireland but also the backstage bones of contemporary play production. But the tour is nothing in comparison to main reason anyone should make time for a visit to the Abbey. See a play, any play! It really doesn't matter if it's famous, got good reviews, or you've ever heard of its playwright: anything you see at the Abbey is going to be exceptional. This year I was somewhat reluctant to take in the only thing on during my visit, "Drum Belly" (I had never heard of it or its author and I had little interest in its subject matter)--but I succumbed as always to the lure of the Abbey stage--and was I glad I did! Like everything else I have ever seen at the Abbey or the Peacock, this production was brilliant! I will never doubt the Abbey or its season again. If it's playing at the Abbey, it's worth seeing!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The Abbey theatre is one of the great theatres in Dublin. Their plays have never disappointed me. They have the peacock theatre next door which is an intimate theatre. make sure to check them out