“BE WARNED!!”
Review of Kilkenny Shop

Kilkenny Shop
Ranked #5 of 192 Shopping in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: A shop specializing in Irish-themed products, from clothing to pottery.
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My husband and I fell in love with the Kilkenny Shop in Dublin during our visit in September 2011. We found it to be a larger shop with more selections than House of Ireland and it was just a few more block away. We ended up purchasing nearly $420.00 worth of crystal , pottery and porclene. They were kind enough to wave and process the VAT tax which brought our purchase down to $360.00. We paid for insurance and shipping. The packages arrived with no damage. But imagine our surprise when they came in with a $76.60 Collect duty charge!! It took the post office 2 hours to find out how to procees the charge, they no longer collect duty charges. Wt we had to pay it before we could receive our packages.

We were way below the duty amount allowed by law, had declared the purchase on our reenty into the USA and had no idea why Kilkenny charged us.

Luckily, we had purchased the items with our American Expres Card, they open an investigation, gave us credit and sent inguires to Kilkenny. Kilkenny tried to change the charge from a Duty tax to a VAT but with our paperwork clearly showing the VAT wavied and paperwork from the postoffice clearly showing duty charges we finally received credit thtrough American Exoress. ( Thanks to Monica with Amex!!)

So BE WARNED before you make any purchases with the Kilkenny Shop and have to go through the mess we had to make sure you have in writing no additional charges will be placed on your packages. Just in Case .

The McGregors / Cary, NC

in 20 reviews
"gifts"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Both well worth a visit. Excellent quality. Unusual gifts. Helpful staff.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

This is a lovely shop within an easy 10 minute walk from O'Connell Street, showcasing the best of Irish products. Fashion, jewellery, ornaments, home wares, whatever your heart desires and your wallet can afford (because cheap this is not!). However, everytime I'm in Dublin I make sure to visit the brilliant restaurant on the upper floor. The food is simply delicious, seating is pleasant and prices are average. I'd highly recommend it!

Reviewed July 18, 2011

I stumbled upon this gem on a recent trip home to Dublin after many years away. I was very happy with the service and the gluten free desserts on offer were some of the best that I have ever tasted. Big thumbs up! One bad thing I can think of to say is that there were not enough tables in the cafe and a big queue to buy the food and sit down but I think there may have been a big coach tour infront of me! It might be hard for a family with young children as I am not sure if there is a lift to bring a buggy up the stairs to the coffee shop.

1  Thank TheGypsyRover
See more reviews
Reviewed April 1, 2011

A good little shop if you want to invest in some authentic Irish products to take home with you. Great for gifts and meaningful souvenirs. Seems to be a popular stop off for people on organised tours. We also visited the cafe, which I would not recommend. The staff spoke quickly and incomprehensibly, and it was not clear who you should order from. After ordering and paying I had to ask for a cup to go with the pot of tea that was given to me! Then the sandwiches that were advertised as having a certain filling in them came out with one essential part of that filling missing, and the food arrived bit by bit, after they'd taken our table number away so we wondered where the food had got to. It seemed like everyone who worked there had only just started and had never met with the concept of a cafe before.