“Fine”
Review of Harrington Hall

Harrington Hall
Ranked #90 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is really a guest house rather than a hotel. The positives are its location just up the street from Stephens Green, the staff are great especially the front desk and it is spotlessly clean and a very historic building and the breakfast is lovely although the room is small and cramped. The negatives are the small car park, the rooms are a wee bit rough around the edges but they are very clean, the noise from the Luas and night club are a problem but as it was a Sunday night and raining the night clubbers were not as nosiy as I had expected. We were given ear plugs which helped. If you are looking clean lines and modern fittings don't stay here go to the hilton or teh radisson - but if you just want a bed for the night and clean facilities and a good breakfast - stay here. I was pleasantly surprised after all the negative reviews I had read I was dreading staying here - but overall the positives out weighed the negatives and my aunt who had a room at the back experienced no noise at all.

Room Tip: get a room at the back
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ArdMhacha
There are newer reviews for Harrington Hall

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently with my husband.Everything from the room, breakfast and staff were absolutely superb.5 star standard at very reasonable prices. I would highly recommend this hotel for both leisure and business trips.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I'm sorry to say but for me the only attraction to this place was its proximity to the city centre. For that it gets top marks. Perhaps if I had been given a room at the back of the house I would be writing a very different review, but I wasn't, and I would strongly recommend anyone thinking of staying here to request a room at the back. If they don't have any left / available then ask for a reduction in price, and bring ear plugs!

There is a night club located across the road which runs into the very early hours of the morning. You could hear the music, the people on the street, the taxis beeping their horns, etc etc. Then once it finally stopped and I managed to fall off to sleep the LUAS (Dublin's Light Rail Tram System) starts up at 7am and passes right in front of the building. It was by far the worst nights sleep I have ever had to pay for in my life!

Another thing I wasn't happy about was the lack of a bedside locker. It's a simple thing but something you get used to in life!. I certain would expect one from a four star establishment where I was initially charged €120 for the night for a 'double room'. Yet the bed was a small double and there was only one bedside locker so I had to leave all my bits and bobs I like beside me at night on the floor! The room looked more like it was intended as a single to me.

Anyway, I complained to the Duty Manager before checking out and he was very nice about it. He explained it is a listed building so they are restricted from changing the windows. They have made attempts to lessen the noise by installing another inner window but as he said himself, they are aware it doesn't work. Apparently there are also attempts being made to make the road inaccessible to cars through the night which should go some way to making it quieter. So he apologised and I was offered a 50% reduction in the room rate (as breakfast was extra), which I was happy to accept. But my point and reason for complaining wasn't that there was a late nightclub across the road, or the LUAS runs outside from 7am, it was that we were charged the same full rate as the quieter, larger double rooms at the back of the house and that shouldn't be the case as clearly the experience is very different.

They also have a free car park at the rear of the house with very tight parking. (While I appreciate it's free, you are still paying €120 a night to stay, so is it really that much of a bonus?) Anyway, they ask you leave your keys with reception in case they have to move a car in order for another one to be able to park etc. It just so happened that the icing on the cake for my experience here was that I scratched the front bumper of my car parking in one of their tight spots. The Duty Manager was going to take photographs of the damage but said he would need to escalate the issue to higher management, yet it was doubtful any compensation would be made. Both my husband and I were just so tired at this stage we said to leave as the reality was it would be "my own fault".

So bottom line - if you book online request a room at the back of the house. If you book over the phone, request a room at the back of the house! If you have a car, request that they park it for you. They have to take responsibility for moving them around if need be, so they shouldn't refuse parking it initially.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the house.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lara O
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I agree with most of these reviews. You get a good price on this place because they know it is very loud. It is in a great location, walking distance to all, but if you take the lower rate and then complain because it's loud you are foolish. This location is across the street from one night club and down the road from another. When we came in from dinner on friday evening the line for the nightclub was already long, and it was about 10. The noise continued well into the early morning hours. If this bothers you, do not stay here.

The breakfast was nice at 8 euro for a full irish but I agree the stadff was cool. Front desk was the same - efficient but cool.

The room was large though and well appointed. We had a king bed loft with two foldout loveseats below. There were TV's but few stations and a lot of static. Very secure, upscale area. Nice pub two blocks away - the Bleeding Horse - that had great food.

Go - but bring ear plugs!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank k8infl
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Classic Dublin style hotel, nice sized room, nightclubs very noisy until 3 a.m. both Sunday and Monday nights. Breakfast was OK and I am sorry to say that generally the mixed Irish and European staff were quite abrupt and seemed as though they really didn't want to be there. There was no bar in the hotel and we were advised to go to the sister hotel up the road, we chose to visit The Bloody Horse instead. Overall it was OK for our needs, centrally located so that we could walk to everywhere we wanted to visit, but we wouldn't choose to stay again.

Room Tip: Not street facing :)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is extremely central, right at the top of Grafton Street. Hotel is lovely. Some of the rooms have been decorated recently and are very modern. Others are kind of stately home which are still lovely. If staying here I would recommend asking for a room out the back of the hotel. We did this in advance of staying but were still put at the front. The hotel is facing 3 night clubs which run until 4am. The people attending these nightclubs are loud but the worst thing are the taxi drivers who just sit on their horns blasting them between 4am and 5am. Doesnt make for a good nights sleep. Which is a shame as the hotel is lovely other than the night clubs. I would have to be 100% guaranteed i had a back room before i stayed here again.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank cathym2003
Reviewed November 16, 2013

The hotel was nice enough but the main positive is it's location - close to everything. The hotel can be quite noisy especially on a weekend as there are many clubs on the street. The rooms were comfortable and spacious enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends