“What it says on the tin...”
Review of Avalon House

Avalon House
Ranked #29 of 126 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I was attending a concert by myself a few weeks ago and booked into Avalon House for a cheap bed for the night that was central to where I was going.
For the price I was paying - about €35 - for a single en-suite room I wasn't expecting 5 star luxury. What I did get was a clean basic room with a window that opened, yeah for that!, a shower that gave out hot water in a clean bathroom, and a breakfast in the morning that consisted of cereal, toast and tea. It was grand for the price paid!
The Bald Barrista coffee house attached to the hostel serves fine coffee and offers cooked breakfast alternatives if desired.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
AvalonDublin, General Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Hi There,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, hopefully we will be welcoming you back soon

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I stayed just the one night in a single room mid-week for €30. The room was en-suite, and tiny— but as I was only sleeping there, that wasn't any problem for me, and I wasn't looking for anything else. The room itself was spotless, including the bathroom, which is a major factor for me personally. It's maybe a ten minute walk (max) from the city centre so very convenient, and all in all suited me right down to the ground. The hostel generally was very clean. I can't comment on the breakfast or social life there, as I basically just slept there and left before breakfast for work.

One tip- there's an emergency light which seems to stay on all night. Safety first, but bring a mask or something to cover your eyes while sleeping (which I have with me most of the time anyway).

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Hi There, delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay :)

Many Thanks

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hostel good location very friendly staff willing to help rooms are a bit small but overall a good hostel to pay a visit to when your in dublin within walking distance of temple bar also has a very nice coffee shop attached to the hostel which was voted best expresso in dublin definetelly worth a try for a cheap night in dublin

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Thanks so much for the lovely review, always great to read such lovely comments :) :)

Reviewed June 25, 2014

When we arrived in Dublin after traveling for nearly 24 hours, Avalon House did not allow us to check in early. They had lockers available for 2Euro per day with a 10Euro deposit, so we were able to leave our luggage at least. The cost for a double room with no attached bathroom was around 75Euro per night. There was a sink in our room, but barely enough floor space for our luggage. The location of Avalon House is by far the very best thing about it. It is located in a central area, with all of the major attractions in Dublin within walking distance (or a quick bus ride). The main common areas were also quite cozy. "The Bald Barista" coffeehouse located in the downstairs of the hostel has excellent espresso drinks and is a nice spot to relax for a while. Our room was literally at most 10x5ft. Just barely big enough for 2 twin beds that could not possibly be pushed together. There was one small window that did not open and had a broken blind on it, so we had no way to block out the light. There was no air circulation and without being able to open the window our room smelled very stale and musty. The mattresses and pillows are extremely thin, with mysterious stains and hairs on them. However, the absolute worst part was the communal co-ed showering and bathroom areas. How hard would it have been to create a separate male area and a separate female area? In the shower, there was no shelf so hopefully you don't have anything you don't mind getting wet. The water is cold (there is no way to adjust the temperature) and literally comes out in 10second increments, so you have to keep pushing the button to get water. We stayed 3 nights, and on the last night we switched to a room with our own bathroom attached. That room had two big windows that opened, blinds that worked on the windows, and much more floor space. The staff was all very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was: cold cereal with milk and toast with butter or jam. Oh. and nasty instant coffee. So don't get excited thinking you're going to have some great, delicious breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annah W
Avalon H, General Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the first part of your stay our standard rooms are small however when you book with us direct these rooms are about 50 € per night. Our Linen is done by a professional outsourced company also so it is to a very high standard, we do apologize if you thought otherwise.
All showers and taps are fitted with push buttons to reduce water wastage, part of our on-going green policy :)
Delighted to hear the reception team helped you out we pride ourselves on customer service so we hope next time your in Dublin to see you back

Team at Avalon

Reviewed June 18, 2014

This place would be workable IF THEY KEPT IT CLEAN. It is quite pricey for a hostel. We paid 60 Euro a night for a TINY private room and community bath, and it was definitely not worth it. Maybe the private baths are better, but the communal facilites are disgusting. First of all, they are coed facilities, and the young men, who are only in Dublin to party, make it filthy. The staff's version of "cleaning" is simply taking out the trash every few days. Toilets and floors were not cleaned once! Same with the showers, which only spray tepid water for 20 seconds at a time. The facilities reek of stale urine and feces which drifts out into the stuffy hallways. The room itself was okay, but the bed linens were sparse. I'd recommend a sleeping bag or bringing your own twin size linens. Shower shoes are a MUST!

Also, it is a place for college age kids who like to party. I'm that age but sleep is a priority for me! The other guests come in drunk at all hours of the night and morning, loud and running into walls. I only slept when I wore strong earplugs. The breakfast is worthless; untoasted sliced bread and an economy sized bucket of cereal. I just paid for nice breakfasts around the city.

So if you like to party and don't mind filthy bathrooms and prison showers, you could stay here. It is still way overpriced for a hostel. I'd rather pay a little bit more for a small, boutique hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank ECS280

Hi,

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us here at Avalon House, we accommodate a wide range of Pack packers from families to student groups so we provide free ear plugs at reception in case of noisy situations - Our night team are very on top of this as well especially at the wkds. Our Linens are provided by a professional linen company here in Dublin that also provide Hotels so they are to a very high standard :)
Our accommodation team are also cleaning our Bathrooms and shower Facilities 3 times per day of which I spot check myself and they are always up to par.
Our breakfast is Included in all rates along with WIFI- we provide 4 choices for cereals and toasters are also provided for the bread along with a selection of toppings for it.
Again I do apologise if you did not enjoy it, do get in contact directly if you ever wish to return

Team at Avalon

Reviewed June 14, 2014

The front desk staff was super friendly and helpful, providing directions and maps and advice. It was well located so easy to get to many sights by walking. Great shopping nearby. We had 2 rooms: the twin room with shared bath was really nice-on top floor and quiet. My daughters enjoyed it. The rest of the family shared a four bed dorm with private bathroom. The beds were hard, our room was right over the entrance and it was noisy most nights until 3-4am. Hard to sleep. The bathroom smelled and I didn't use the shower. The breakfast was free, but it was pretty basic with cereal and bread. It was nice that it was attached to a local café that was very popular and had good food if you wanted to pay the money. I felt the cost was pretty high for the rooms, based on the accommodations.

Room Tip: Top floor is the best
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank fuller0126

Hi There, Many Thanks for taking the time to review our property, we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us, we apologize of it was noisy, this can happen from time to time at weekends as we accommodate a wide range of backpackers :) however we do provide ear plugs complimentary at reception and when we do get complaints our night porters respond straight away.
Hope to see you back again soon
Team at Avalon :)

Reviewed June 14, 2014

This hostel wasn't to bad. A short walk from temple bar district. Close enough to get anywhere... Far away enough to avoid the crowds and noises. The 6 bed dorm I stayed in was nice enough... The mattress hands a little bit over the actual frame so at one point I almost rolled down the side of the bed. The window in our room was also partially broken so it wouldn't close completely which was annoying when you had to sleep right next to it. Generally pretty clean as well. The ensuite attached to the room was missing an actual toilet seat which made it hard if you were a woman such as myself. The showers had excellent pressure and were hot. Good light breakfast included and ok Internet...
The kitchen was nice and big, making room for multiple people to cook at once and the staff were fairly helpful.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs! If your room faces the road there is quite a bit of traffic noise and you do hear p...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank charlieroyal90

Hi
Thanks for the review, I am sorry about your window as you should be able to open it we will be rectifying this straight away, I am delighted to hear you found our staff helpful we pride ourselves on good customer care and have a great little team :)

Hope you will visit again soon

Team at Avalon :)