“Nice people, below average accomodations” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avalon House

Avalon House
Ranked #19 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice people, below average accomodations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed in Dublin over St. Patty's day, so you can only imagine the cluster of human beings from all over trying to find a place in Dublin to sleep. Needless to say, we were only able to secure this place for one night, and boy, one night was plenty for what this place had to offer.

I will say, the positive was the hostel offered a walking tour of Dublin with absolutely hilarious tour guides. My guide was awesome and made the tour so much fun and entertaining.

Great staff, very friendly, but the mixed dorm accommodations were stressful. I got a locker to put all of my stuff in, but the thing that gave this place the low review were the bathrooms and showers.

I read that hot showers were available, but this was absolutely not the case when I stayed. They had push-button showers that sprayed extremely cold water for a few seconds at a time and that's it. I figured I was staying at a hotel the following night, so I forfeited the full shower to spare my misery.

Definitely not a family friendly hostel, but it's actually in a very central part of the city, accessible to most everything. If you're just there to party with young people and don't care about your bathing habits, then it's fine. I prefer hot showers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is a big hostel a few minutes from St Stephen's Green. Fairly good location. Reasonably good value for money. A free continental breakfast is included. A good nights sleep is not, unfortunately! Also, I felt safe and security was good. I stayed in a small 2-bunk room with a so-so en suite. I was travelling solo so I tolerated what others would not. I asked for, and got, a lower bed. I was unable to sleep due to another persons loud snoring-again! That was my main gripe. Overall, I was happy with my stay there. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Try to share a room with only people you know.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Donal M
AvalonDublin, Front Office Manager at Avalon House, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. We are taking pride in our work trying to provide the best experience to all our customers. Unfortunately this is sometimes out of our reach, depending on other guest being considerate to other people sharing the room with. We always appreciate an honest review and we are also glad that you have decided to give us another chance to make your stay more enjoyable in the future! Looking forward to such a chance in the near future!

Kind Regards,

The Management
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed one night at this hostel. Extremely poor service (I booked 2 nights accommodation, but for some reason was told by email during my first night, at 8pm, that the hostel was fully booked and I would be unable to stay the second night). They were unapologetic and very unhelpful.

Small rooms, the bathrooms were not particularly clean, light streams from the hallway through big windows in the door.

There are undoubtedly better hostels to stay at in Dublin then Avalon House

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Ottawa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had confirmed reservations months before coming here for a private family room with full bathroom. Well, when we got here, they didn't have our reservations. We had to spend the first two nights in a small, dilapidated room with a unisex toilet and shower room down the hall. Not something you want with young children. The showers were push buttons. Initially I said ok, they are trying to save on water which is a good thing, but then, all throughout the night, I realized they left a dozen or so huge hallway lights on. Reason I knew this? The light came right into the windows above the door of our room and, as the bunk beds were far from being safe, I slept or tried to, from the top bunk. So no, they are not trying to save on water, they simply don't care to offer good service to their guests. Oh and the walls are as thin as paper.

And what to say of the free breakfast: bread, some kind of granola cereal and instant coffee were your choices. They did however have a nice cafe just at the end of the free breakfast line where you could purchase actual food and good coffee and also spend a fortune so yep, they are wise.

We have spent many nights in hostels and I can clearly say that this one is the worst in all sense of the word. However, there is free Internet and if I was a young 20 year old wanting to spend a few nights in Dublin, Avalon House is not a terrible choice; it's actually well situated.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anne D
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

First of all when we arrived in the hostel they told us that they had allowed their boss to stay in our room the second night therefore we had to checkout and check back in for the second night check out time was 10am and we couldn't re check in until 2 this wasn't too bad however it was the shower that only lasted twenty seconds and the uncomfortable beds we didn't appreciate not only this we had a terrible experience with one of the doors as the previous stayers had taken the key and the locks needed to be changed twice before we checked out. The keys also stopped working at 11am so we had to go and get them changed...Not great

• Stayed September 2013
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is one of the best ones I've stayed at in Europe. The staff is so nice and helpful. The rooms are on the small side. We stayed our first night in a twin ensuite. The bathroom is small and the shower is tiny, but it's clean. The second night we were moved to a bigger room with balcony on the top floor. The elevator comes in handy but it out of service for a few hours both nights.
Breakfast leaves something to be desired but it hits the basics with toast and coffee. You can also buy other breakfast items and the coffee shop in the hostel.
The hostel property is huge and has a great location. It's in walking distance to everything. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

It was not cheap-but that's dublin during a busy weekend. The inclusive breakfast was especially spartan:tesco weetabix, sliced bread and jam and instant coffee. Breakfast is taken in the cafe which is pleasant and lively and you can upgrade to decent coffee and pastries etc for a few euro. Im a miser so I settled for toast and jam.
The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable.Hardly enough room to swing a cat. Our room was very quiet unlike what other reviews have said.slept like logs.
Oh, and beware if you are a party of heterosexual men who dread that moment when you open the door to find...a double bed! We booked a triple room -which it turned out was a double bunk with a single bunk on top.when we complained to reception, the guy-I think he was romanian- said, yes there are three beds:two men in one bed and one man in the other! To be fair, he provided us with an extra matress which spared any embarrassing glances to each other over bread and jam the next morning.
All in all it was a fine place to crash for the nite, and had a lively feel about the place.decent location, but its not a bargain.accommodation budget in dublin doesnt stretch far!

• Stayed August 2013