“Great for the price”

Ranked #21 of 106 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
“Great for the price”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

10 Minutes walk from the temple bar area of Dublin, friendly staff, room very clean, recommend you pay for a personal room rather than share with others. En suite bathroom was clean and shower was hot. Can pay to leave late on day of departure (1pm) at 5 euros each. Was 88 euros for a room with four bunk beds and breakfast included so good value.

Bus to airport right outside your door and taxis available all the time.

Few down sides: have to purchase towels as none in room, our plug sockets were fried so no electric for phones!, the lockers for dumping your bags if you arrive early were all gone so had to leave luggage in general room in basement with lock on door only.

Our friends had been double booked and had to go to another hostel. I recommend you send email to the actual hostel to check your booking before you travel especially if you have booked through a third party site online.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Unfortunately we did not have electricity in our private 4-bed-room for the whole stay, as it was not being repaired within 4 days...so big problems with charging the camera/phone..breakfast is very limited..service was ok but not overly nice or helpful..ok place to just stay overnight but not much more..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Beith, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I stayed at this hostel when we were in Dublin for the Eminem concert at Slane Castle. The hostel itself is clean and it does its purpose however I felt as though when I booked our room we were misled. Our room was not ensuite and we had to share a toilet with other guests (toilets were unisex). Upon booking there was nothing that even suggested you didn't have your own bathroom. The staff at the reception were pleasant and their English was very good (for most if not all of the staff English was not their first language). One other thing I could fault this hostel for is check in is at 2pm which it clearly states when you book however it is the case for many hostels, hotels etc you can go in about an hour or so early and chance your luck to get in early. We arrived about 1.30pm and the staff at reception said our room wasn't ready without even checking. Rooms are very small but for only one night and the location to the city centre you cannot complain! Very handy for the number 16 bus which travels to the airport and the hotel itself runs a shuttle bus service that takes you to the airport for early morning flights (€7 each). All in all a nice place and would highly recommend it if you are attending any events or concerts at Slane Castle.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Located with easy acces to Steven's Green and Trinity Colledge Avalon House is the best place save your maney both on hosteling and transport. Dierct bus connection with Airport is also a great advantage.
Nevertheless everything inside is rather old and untidy. Moreover there were problems with internet on one (of three) day we stayed there. Towels are not incuded (2 EUR).

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Able to get to the hostel from the airport by taking bus which was very convenient. It is close enough to city centre but far enough away from the hustle and bustle. The room was a typical hostel style, no inroom locker but I just had locks on luggage and left in the room. there were lockers for rent but I wasn't about to pay for more things.
The lifts and internet were very tempermental so they only worked part of the time..that was pretty annoying. Other than that, I can't complain about the stay..it was a typical hostel and had a typical hostel breakfast included.
The one thing that stood out was the front desk staff. Each time I went up I had my questions answered and the staff were more than willing to help out or look something up for me.

Room Tip: pick a smaller sized dorm if you can, not as much commotion of people from different countries going...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed for 1 night at the end of a cycle tour of Ireland. We had a private 2 bed room on the 4th floor, facing away from the street. It was very quiet - slept with window open and no noise at all either from in or out the hostel. The room was clean, beds comfy, towels provided. Communal bathrooms clean-ish although a bit scruffy. Have seen worse.
Though it was good value for 25 euro each. Worth paying the extra for private room for a bit of peace and quiet. Towels were provided.
Just a short walk from pubs/restaurants.
Our bikes were stored under the stairs.
Did not use the kitchen/cafe etc.
Staff were ok - not overly forthcoming - but we were spoilt having been in the west of Ireland for a week! It's a very big and busy hostel - quite impersonal.

Room Tip: Room 409 (and other odd numbers beginning in 4) are likely to be quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Brugg, Switzerland
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I booked this hostel because it was among the best rated europe hostels, but unfortunately, I have the feeling it was really overrated. I was travelling alone and I must say that the atmosphere was very unpleasant there. Of course I met great people, but some people staying there were kind of bizarre and made me feel uncomfortable..the atmosphere was really not nice, so bad that I prefered to stay the whole day away and just go back for sleeping.
Facilities: the kitchen had opening hours from 7.30 am to 22.30am, which is not a lot I must say. Specially for people doing a bus tour (which people do quite often in dublin..) the breakfast had to be taken on the streets because you couldnt access your milk in the morning...
Toilets were mixed, which was quite uncomfortable I must say. Lockers cost 2 euros A DAY (I never saw security being so expensive!) and were on the ground floor!
Staff: some people were friendly but others extremly rude. When I asked if I could have a lower bed instead of an upper bed (I already had a sort of accident while sleeping in an upper bed) because the upper bed did not have any security grid (I find this sincerly unacceptable for such a big hostel...) the second guy in the reception I talked to was really not giving a sh*** about my problem and didnt even try to solve it. It was disappointing.
The beakfast is OK for the money you pay.
The location is very good I must say but I wouldnt sleep there again not even if it was half the price...sorry guys but there are things to be improved in this hostel...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo