“Large group stay for netball intervarsities..all happy campers”
Review of Avalon House

and 1 more site!
Avalon House
Ranked #29 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Avalon was in an excellent location to everything. The service was mainly excellent, great rates and free breakfast. Although everything isnt perfect when you stay at a hostel we had no complaints and would certainly come back. Thanks again

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed her for 4 days after a tour of ireland. Small room for four of us, and rather unfriendly staff I found (stayed at hostels all around, and these people were the least friendly/charismatic). The bathroom near our room (a luxury) had a characteristically clogged toilet and the light didn't work (took a couple days of telling them to see a change). Furthermore, we booked in advance and paid more than we should have.
That being said, it makes up with its location -- moments from EVERYTHING. We told ourselves all we needed was a bed to sleep in, anything more is a luxury, but after a lot of traveling i was looking for a relaxing bit that I did not find. I won't come back here again unless in a cinch.

Room Tip: First and third floors have high ceilings and large bathrooms. Bunk beds are extra squeaky and unbar...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ptres
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I had an amazing experience at this hostel! I have stayed in a handful of hostels in different parts of the world, and this is, without a doubt, my favorite experience.
I stayed here for 6 days on my own. Originally, I was going to stay for a week, but weather conditions delayed my flight to Dublin. I called the front desk to cancel my first night and they were terribly helpful. They even checked to make sure that I knew which bus to take when I did arrive.
On my way to Dublin, my bags were lost and I spent my whole trip without any luggage. Again, the staff helped me out as much as they could, helping me call the right people, renting me a towel and giving me shopping suggestions. They also put up with my constant questions (making international calls can be confusing) and seemed to truly care whether or not my bags came in.
The rooms and beds (which I think is the most important thing) were very clean. Bear in mind that this is a very affordable hostel, the bathrooms are cleaned, but with so many people using them, they aren't going to be as clean as private hotel bathroom. The only thing that grossed me out a little bit were the shower floors, but that is normal in most hostels. That's what flipflops are for.
The rooms require a key card to access, which definitely adds to the security. If you need more security, they provide lockers downstairs for a euro a day. Although there is some noise from the street, the rooms in general were nice and quiet. I never had problems getting to sleep or staying asleep.
Be sure to check out the social events that are offered: free tours, pub crawl and dinners. The dinners on Tuesdays and Thursdays are delicious and very social. The kitchen is a good size and makes it easy to cook food rather than going out every night. There is also a great game room downstairs with Foosball, pingpong and video games. If that doesn't excite you, the main pub area of Dublin is an easy 5 minute walk away.
This hostel is a great deal that offers great times, security and a comfy place to rest your head.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Margaret H
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
We appreciate you giving us such positive and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I went in Dublin with my friends, last year in October. I suggest this hostel for young people who want to spend their holidays in a cheaper accomodation.
Staff very helpfull, friendly and nice. Perfect position, just 5 minutes walking from the downtown. Bus stop is in front of the building, and it is very closed to Temple Bar and all you can visit in this amazing town. I really hope to come back there!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed in that hostel for 3 weeks in December and I have to say that I was very disappointed about it. First of all the rooms were not very clean, especially the bathroom, no wonders when they just be cleaned around every 2 or 3 days. The bunk beds have no boarder for the upper bed which can be very dangerous.
One time they put a very drunk male person in a room with me and my other female room mate, who insulted us and almost punshed me. When he got kicked out they couldn't tell why he was checked in, at least we got an appology. Another time when I was with an Italien family which had no respect for me and when I went to reseption they told me they cannot do anything. An hour later there was a really nice girl who could book me a single room. I had to change rooms but a week later I moved back in this one and discoverd that the same mud was still there. NO CLEANING NEAR THE BEDS!

The cafe "the bald barista" was very good and in the evening when it was closed everyone in the hostel could use it.

Also the chef who cooks two times a week dinner is just awesome. The food is really excellent!

Overall I can say, don't stay there! The people at the reception are not very friendly, the girls are the exeption! And there are way better places for less money.

The only good thing is the location because the city center is in 10 minutes walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here for a few days. Having stayed in many hostels we are accustomed to them but this is not one of the better ones. While the location is very good I would definately not stay here again.
If youve recently been in jail this is not a step up.
Our room (and I assume other rooms) had no window, and a sink (which would have been convenient if not for the hair all over it from previous guests). We were right next to the bathroom, which we thought would be great, however it was out of order for the first day so we had to travel down to the next level every time we needed to use the loo. The plumbing is extremely loud, I understand that it is an old building however you would think with it being such a problem that they would fill the rooms furtherest away from the toilets/showers first, but obviously not, as our level seemed mostly empty yet we were placed so close to the toilet. When I say the plumbing was loud I mean if someone even ran a tap you would hear a large bang and our own sink in our room would gurgle.
The showers also use a push button system, they last for about 20 seconds and then turn off so you need to constantly press the button.

The staff were very friendly but not always helpful, one guy gave us great directions, however we asked another what the best way to the city centre was and he told us he was not from Dublin and so couldn't help.

If you are a heavy sleeper and are not to worried about cleanliness stay here, otherwise I would not reccomend this hostel.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank suomonona

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I appreciate all of your comments all of which are taken very seriously, when no room number is mentioned or date of stay it is hard for me to find where you stayed - if you would like to discuss any of the matters further and let me know the details of our stay I would be more than happy to do so, please contact me @ groups@avalon-house.ie

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was my very first hostel experience. I had no idea what to expect....i was pleasantly surprised! The rooms are very spacious, beds are very comfortable and clean, plenty of showering and toilet stalls, all areas were clean. My favorite part of this hostel is the cafe located in the next room, a great place to grab a hot breakfast and a beverage before starting your adventures! They offer a place to lock up your valuables if you choose for a small fee and free wifi in the lobby with many computers for your convince, The staff was always nice, friendly and knowledgeable, I always felt welcome and safe here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Emily S
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your great review.

Hopefully we will see you again in the future :)