“confortable and fine position”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Avalon House

Avalon House
Ranked #21 of 106 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Verona, Veneto, Italy
“confortable and fine position”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I went in Dublin with my friends, last year in October. I suggest this hostel for young people who want to spend their holidays in a cheaper accomodation.
Staff very helpfull, friendly and nice. Perfect position, just 5 minutes walking from the downtown. Bus stop is in front of the building, and it is very closed to Temple Bar and all you can visit in this amazing town. I really hope to come back there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
We appreciate you giving us such positive and we hope to see you again in the future.

Jennifer Farrell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Linz, Austria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed in that hostel for 3 weeks in December and I have to say that I was very disappointed about it. First of all the rooms were not very clean, especially the bathroom, no wonders when they just be cleaned around every 2 or 3 days. The bunk beds have no boarder for the upper bed which can be very dangerous.
One time they put a very drunk male person in a room with me and my other female room mate, who insulted us and almost punshed me. When he got kicked out they couldn't tell why he was checked in, at least we got an appology. Another time when I was with an Italien family which had no respect for me and when I went to reseption they told me they cannot do anything. An hour later there was a really nice girl who could book me a single room. I had to change rooms but a week later I moved back in this one and discoverd that the same mud was still there. NO CLEANING NEAR THE BEDS!

The cafe "the bald barista" was very good and in the evening when it was closed everyone in the hostel could use it.

Also the chef who cooks two times a week dinner is just awesome. The food is really excellent!

Overall I can say, don't stay there! The people at the reception are not very friendly, the girls are the exeption! And there are way better places for less money.

The only good thing is the location because the city center is in 10 minutes walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here for a few days. Having stayed in many hostels we are accustomed to them but this is not one of the better ones. While the location is very good I would definately not stay here again.
If youve recently been in jail this is not a step up.
Our room (and I assume other rooms) had no window, and a sink (which would have been convenient if not for the hair all over it from previous guests). We were right next to the bathroom, which we thought would be great, however it was out of order for the first day so we had to travel down to the next level every time we needed to use the loo. The plumbing is extremely loud, I understand that it is an old building however you would think with it being such a problem that they would fill the rooms furtherest away from the toilets/showers first, but obviously not, as our level seemed mostly empty yet we were placed so close to the toilet. When I say the plumbing was loud I mean if someone even ran a tap you would hear a large bang and our own sink in our room would gurgle.
The showers also use a push button system, they last for about 20 seconds and then turn off so you need to constantly press the button.

The staff were very friendly but not always helpful, one guy gave us great directions, however we asked another what the best way to the city centre was and he told us he was not from Dublin and so couldn't help.

If you are a heavy sleeper and are not to worried about cleanliness stay here, otherwise I would not reccomend this hostel.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank suomonona
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I appreciate all of your comments all of which are taken very seriously, when no room number is mentioned or date of stay it is hard for me to find where you stayed - if you would like to discuss any of the matters further and let me know the details of our stay I would be more than happy to do so, please contact me @ groups@avalon-house.ie

Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was my very first hostel experience. I had no idea what to expect....i was pleasantly surprised! The rooms are very spacious, beds are very comfortable and clean, plenty of showering and toilet stalls, all areas were clean. My favorite part of this hostel is the cafe located in the next room, a great place to grab a hot breakfast and a beverage before starting your adventures! They offer a place to lock up your valuables if you choose for a small fee and free wifi in the lobby with many computers for your convince, The staff was always nice, friendly and knowledgeable, I always felt welcome and safe here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emily S
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this review, January 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review.

Hopefully we will see you again in the future :)

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hostel was a reasonable walk out of the centre of town but all of the sights were nevertheless accessible and the main road location felt safe when walking back at night. Room and toilet/shower facilities were clean. Recommended for young people who wish to socialise with other travellers - there was a large shared kitchen, and frequent organised pub crawls!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your great review.
We appreciate you taking the time out to write this.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

since 2004 i spent a lot of time in Dublin. I have been to many hostels in town, but since 2010 every time i come back to Avalon House. Its the best for its price, location and friendly staff! See you again

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank DubbleT

Thank you so much for your great review.

We look forward to welcoming you back also :)

Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

For the price it was fine. The breakfast does need some fruit or juice though. The plumbing is very noisy though i doubt there's much can be done about that.

Since the hotel manager sent an email offering a 20% discount to people who wrote positive reviews on here, I wouldn't trust some people's comments. It's just ok. Not horrible, not amazing. Just ok.

Quote from email: "If you had a pleasant stay please let everyone know via Hostelworld and/or Tripadvisor. We love hearing your great comments, compliments and stories of Dublin so keep them coming; they really encourage us!

When you leave your positive feedback send an email with a copy of this and receive 20% off your next stay"

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your review.
We apologise if you were offended by our offer we only ask guests to leave true reviews and would never do otherwise.

All comments appearing are 100% honest and we also ask guests to contact us if they had any problems with their stay - this is mentioned in the email also.