“Dublin Hostel = Avalon House”
Review of Avalon House

Avalon House
Ranked #29 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

since 2004 i spent a lot of time in Dublin. I have been to many hostels in town, but since 2010 every time i come back to Avalon House. Its the best for its price, location and friendly staff! See you again

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank DubbleT
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your great review.

We look forward to welcoming you back also :)

Reviewed December 19, 2012

For the price it was fine. The breakfast does need some fruit or juice though. The plumbing is very noisy though i doubt there's much can be done about that.

Since the hotel manager sent an email offering a 20% discount to people who wrote positive reviews on here, I wouldn't trust some people's comments. It's just ok. Not horrible, not amazing. Just ok.

Quote from email: "If you had a pleasant stay please let everyone know via Hostelworld and/or Tripadvisor. We love hearing your great comments, compliments and stories of Dublin so keep them coming; they really encourage us!

When you leave your positive feedback send an email with a copy of this and receive 20% off your next stay"

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your review.
We apologise if you were offended by our offer we only ask guests to leave true reviews and would never do otherwise.

All comments appearing are 100% honest and we also ask guests to contact us if they had any problems with their stay - this is mentioned in the email also.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Every hostel should look like Avalon hostel - great price, young, pleasant people, great location, everything clean (bathrooms, common areas, kitchen). We played table tennis for free and pool. Nice experience!

Room Tip: don't worry to choose big share room, use earplugs and good sleeping is guaranteed.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pajas_turn
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed a week and had a ball.The hostel is walking distance to Temple bar and Grafton St and lots of buzzing bars ,nightclubs and coffee shops. The staff were friendly and the free breakfast a great deal even better was to be able to eat it looking out onto the city coming alive first thing in the morning.
I stayed in one of the larger dorms (Avalon) which surprisingly felt more spacious than many of the so called 'small dorms' I have stayed in before in other hostels. Yes it is true the more people you have in a room the more snoring is likely but after a certain number it becomes more like a symphony :-).
Des from New Zealand

Room Tip: Avalon on top floor if you don't mind being with lots of other people and are a reasonable sleep...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Des W
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Good Morning Des,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write this review and secondly thank you for the positive feedback.
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

If you are ever coming back to Dublin please book with us again as we would love to have you back :)

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Avalon house is a great hostel with affordable price. I enjoy my stay there. A single Private with share is 20 euro on weekdays. Nothing beats that kind of accommodation.
The staff at Avalon House is very courteous and polite. Clare who checked me in filled up my water bottle when I asked where to get fresh water.

You can't get better value for accomodation other than Avalon House. That's why it is always fully booked on the weekends.

I will always choose Avalon House as my accomodation in dublin.

The only downside is Single Private rooms are quickly booked up. So if you are sure about visiting Dublin, please do make your booking quickly.

Room Tip: good value for affordable price
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Shaun Fon T
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback.

I will let Claire know how happy you where dealing with her.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Avalon House was my home away from home (Australia) in 2006 and again in 2007. This place is great, rooms were clean ( & warm in winter), bathrooms clean, quiet, friendly staff, fanTAStic location, walk to everywhere. Still a very secure accom, if you don't have a card then you don't get in after hours. We are planning a trip in 2012, I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in a few different rooms and never had an issue.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Good Morning,

Thank you for comments - we really appreciate your fantastic positive feedback and look forward to you staying with us again.
So hurry up and come back :)

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I went to Dublin for 4 days and stayed at the Avalon House. I really likes the location, it was relatively close to everything and in a very lively area. However the bathrooms smelled and the showers weren't very clean. I also thought that some of the staff weren't as friendly as I thought they'd be. I'm a big breakfast person and I was a little disappointed with it. They only offered you cereal and bread with chocolate or strawberry jam. It was good that they had a cafeteria with food but that wasn't included in the breakfast so therefore you had to pay. Had free wi-fi but always had to go down to the lobby because there was no signal in our room. Plus the beds were super hard, I felt like I was sleeping on the floor.
If I were you I'd search for a different hostel..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Good Morning,

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to hear that you where unsatisfied with your stay with us.

Our bathrooms whilst dated are clean, they are cleaned 3 times daily by housekeeping staff.
I am surprised to hear that you found some of our staff we not very friendly as we pride ourselves on excellent customer service.
Breakfast is a free option we offer our guests.
For wi-fi we only advertise this in the lobby area because as the building is so old it is hard to get a signal on the higher floors.

If would like to discuss any of these matters further then please contact me directly @ groups@avalon-house.ie