“Great Hostel”
Review of Avalon House

Avalon House
Ranked #27 of 122 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Every hostel should look like Avalon hostel - great price, young, pleasant people, great location, everything clean (bathrooms, common areas, kitchen). We played table tennis for free and pool. Nice experience!

Room Tip: don't worry to choose big share room, use earplugs and good sleeping is guaranteed.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pajas_turn

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed a week and had a ball.The hostel is walking distance to Temple bar and Grafton St and lots of buzzing bars ,nightclubs and coffee shops. The staff were friendly and the free breakfast a great deal even better was to be able to eat it looking out onto the city coming alive first thing in the morning.
I stayed in one of the larger dorms (Avalon) which surprisingly felt more spacious than many of the so called 'small dorms' I have stayed in before in other hostels. Yes it is true the more people you have in a room the more snoring is likely but after a certain number it becomes more like a symphony :-).
Des from New Zealand

Room Tip: Avalon on top floor if you don't mind being with lots of other people and are a reasonable sleep...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Des W
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Good Morning Des,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write this review and secondly thank you for the positive feedback.
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

If you are ever coming back to Dublin please book with us again as we would love to have you back :)

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Avalon house is a great hostel with affordable price. I enjoy my stay there. A single Private with share is 20 euro on weekdays. Nothing beats that kind of accommodation.
The staff at Avalon House is very courteous and polite. Clare who checked me in filled up my water bottle when I asked where to get fresh water.

You can't get better value for accomodation other than Avalon House. That's why it is always fully booked on the weekends.

I will always choose Avalon House as my accomodation in dublin.

The only downside is Single Private rooms are quickly booked up. So if you are sure about visiting Dublin, please do make your booking quickly.

Room Tip: good value for affordable price
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Shaun Fon T
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback.

I will let Claire know how happy you where dealing with her.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Avalon House was my home away from home (Australia) in 2006 and again in 2007. This place is great, rooms were clean ( & warm in winter), bathrooms clean, quiet, friendly staff, fanTAStic location, walk to everywhere. Still a very secure accom, if you don't have a card then you don't get in after hours. We are planning a trip in 2012, I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in a few different rooms and never had an issue.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Good Morning,

Thank you for comments - we really appreciate your fantastic positive feedback and look forward to you staying with us again.
So hurry up and come back :)

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I went to Dublin for 4 days and stayed at the Avalon House. I really likes the location, it was relatively close to everything and in a very lively area. However the bathrooms smelled and the showers weren't very clean. I also thought that some of the staff weren't as friendly as I thought they'd be. I'm a big breakfast person and I was a little disappointed with it. They only offered you cereal and bread with chocolate or strawberry jam. It was good that they had a cafeteria with food but that wasn't included in the breakfast so therefore you had to pay. Had free wi-fi but always had to go down to the lobby because there was no signal in our room. Plus the beds were super hard, I felt like I was sleeping on the floor.
If I were you I'd search for a different hostel..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Good Morning,

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to hear that you where unsatisfied with your stay with us.

Our bathrooms whilst dated are clean, they are cleaned 3 times daily by housekeeping staff.
I am surprised to hear that you found some of our staff we not very friendly as we pride ourselves on excellent customer service.
Breakfast is a free option we offer our guests.
For wi-fi we only advertise this in the lobby area because as the building is so old it is hard to get a signal on the higher floors.

If would like to discuss any of these matters further then please contact me directly @ groups@avalon-house.ie

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I'm 43 yrs. old and this was my first time staying at a Hostel...great experience overall!

My room was nice and cozy (private room) and I like the fact that there is constant interaction if you so desire...much more personal than a hotel. Also, there were people and families of all different ages and background which I liked. I always thought "Hostels" were just for "backpackers" but not true...very popular way to stay and travel through Europe.

Also, the location was very convenient for what I wanted to do while in Dublin.

The only negative comment I would share is the "intermittent" wireless internet connection at night...it is imperative that I stay in touch with family and this did frustrate me a bit.

Room Tip: Go "private" room! Also, if you don't want to use the "communal" toilette...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Good Morning,

Thank you for your review.
I am glad to hear that your very first stay in a Backpacker Hostel was a positive one.

We thank you for taking the time to write this review and if you wish to book in the future please contact us direclty @ info@avalon-house.ie

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Had a twin en suite room. Room was clean and beds were fine. Somewhere to rest our head. Light didn't work in bathroom but told staff it is was soon fixed. It is a busy location and it is a hostel so I expected it to be noisy. I took earplugs and got over it. Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank happeningkb
AvalonDublin, Manager at Avalon House, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Good Morning,

Thank you very much for your positive review.
We appreciate you taking the time to to write this - if you are coming back to Dublin on another date, please contact us directly to book @ info@avalon-house.ie