“A lovely B&B away from hustle and bustle of Dublin”
Review of Aberdeen Lodge

Aberdeen Lodge
Ranked #4 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I totally enjoyed Aberdeen Lodge.
We took the coach from the airport, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus stop and had no problems finding the place. The building is a beautiful detached building near a church, a local village, a lovely beach and an easy walk to the DART station. Upon arrival we were immediately taken to the drawing room were we enjoyed a much needed pot of tea and some biscuits/cookies and lots of tourist advice.
The hotel is out of the Dublin city center but there is some charm to its location, which we enjoyed. We used the DART, without too much problem and giving us another opportunity to meet the locals.
Our hotel room was very nice; clean and somewhat luxurious.
Breakfast was delicious with lots of options; we sat near the window overlooking the garden.
Staff was friendly and attentive. Not a negative think to write about. One of my favorite places to stay in Dublin.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 3, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay at Aberdeen Lodge. The welcome was very hospitable; the chocolate cookies and tea was ideal after a long journey. For us, the short Dart ride from the city to A L was a bonus as the house is surrounded by quiet leafy residential streets and takes you away from the lively bustle of Dublin.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HGTSouthernEngland
Reviewed May 17, 2009

Fantastic four poster bed!
Delicious breakfasts, full of choice and freshly made croissants
Friendly and helpful staff who gave advice on local attractions off the tourist-trail.
Tea and cookies brought up to your room on request
Well situated - a bit out of town on the DART but a short walk from the station and away from the hubbub of the city

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Everything about this hotel and our stay was an absolute pleasure.

When we first arrived in Dublin, we were told by airport staff to get a coach, which would drop us off right outside Aberdeen Lodge. Not only did it drop us nowhere near our hotel, the driver had no idea where it was either. I rang Aberdeen Lodge to ask for directions, and within 5 minutes they had pinpointed our location and sent a chauffeur out to pick us up! (Free of charge, I might add). When we arrived it was a beautiful detached building on a delightful little road, near to a church, and we were told only a few hundred yards from a particularly lovely beach. The chauffeur carried our bags into the building & up to our room whilst someone else met us at the door and took us into the drawing room. We were given tea/coffee, some particularly scrummy biscuits and enough maps, tourist guides and general info to keep us occupied for a week! The hotel is perfectly situated in my opinion. It has the beauty and serenity of an obviously very classy area, but is close enough to the town centre to be right on the pulse. We tended more towards the DART than the bus, and there is a station less than a 5 minute walk down the road which takes you right into town. The DART is very regular and runs until quite late into the evening, and takes literally 10 minutes. On the one occasion we got a taxi back to the hotel from town, it cost us around €10, which I think is perfectly reasonable.

Our hotel room was absolutely lovely; spick and span, luxurious, but to our confusion there was no tea or coffee. Don't worry, this isn't a negative point. After checking the info in the room, we discovered that it was to be ordered to the room, free of charge. So, we ordered some coffee, and within a few minutes a cafetiere was delivered to our room. This, I felt, was a particularly nice, personal touch. Much better than the rubbish plastic kettles and sachets one might usually find in any case! Every time we came back to our rooms they had been cleaned and tidied. Twice we came back to find our dressing gowns had been turned into decorative features on the bed! Perhaps I'm just easily impressed, but I often find that it's the little things like this that just complete the overall experience.

Breakfast was delicious. Might I recommend a window seat, as the garden is lovely, and you can sneak a peek into the kitchen and see just how beautifully fresh and cooked to order your breakfast is!

Everything about this hotel, for me, screamed effortless style, glamour and luxury. The staff were incredibly friendly and highly attentive. Overall, just to reiterate, the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lauragreenly
Reviewed March 23, 2009

We chose the Aberdeen Lodge because it is close to the University College Dublin Blackrock Hall of Residences where my niece is staying for her studies and the hotel was highly rated on Tripadivisor. We truly enjoyed this lovely lodge - big rooms, comfortable beds and the robes were a nice touch. The location on a quiet and beautiful street was perfect. However, it is a short walk to a city center bus stop and the train to Blackrock. The continental breakfast is free and ample - a selection of fruits, juices, cereals, scones, toast and croissants. The staff was very friendly and helpful - we rented a car and they showed us an easy way to the airport. It is not cheap but if you are paying over $100 per night, you might as well stay in a nice place. We heartily recommend the Aberdeen for anyone traveling to Dublin .

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2009

My wife and I stayed here after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and we were not disappointed. We stayed at the Aberdeen for two days, then spent a day in the country, and returned for two more days. We had a different room each time, and both were lovely. The rooms were both quite large -- at least by continental Europe standards. They were well appointed and spotless. I can't comment on whether the television and radio worked, since we didn't turn them on. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. We had to leave at 5:30 the morning of our departure to catch a plane. A taxi was arranged with no problem and management offered to make us a sandwich to take with us since we would be missing breakfast. The staff is small and you have to ring to have someone come if you need help, but that was never a problem.

Ballsbridge is a couple of miles from Dublin center, but the hotel is a two block walk from the bus and another block or so away from the DART. It's also a perfectly pleasant half hour walk if the weather is cooperating. We took a taxi back at night, which, as I remember, was under ten euro.

If you're the type of traveler who needs to be going back and forth to the hotel, this place probably isn't for you. But if you're like us and content to leave in the morning and come back at night, the location should not be a problem.

Also, it's in a beautiful suburban area a few blocks from the water. So we had a lovely jog in the morning.

And did I mention the breakfast? Best I've ever had, included in the price.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 18, 2008

I recently enjoyed an absolutely wonderful visit at this beautiful hotel. I stayed at the Aberdeen for an extended stay, and was not only given excellent customer service, but was made to feel like family. The staff of the Aberdeen will go out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect, and are always availible for advice, a friendly word or an extra set of hands to help you out. I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel and how warmly I was treated by the staff.

In planning my trip, I arranged my accomodations via email with the help of the hotel's clerk, Thomas. Thomas was extremely helpful and accomodating in my needs for an extended trip, making sure that I would have everything that I needed for several weeks in my home away-from-home. Upon arrival, I was shown to the drawing room by the hotelier himself, and was offered tea and biscuits to enjoy while the staff took care of checking me in and seeing my bags to my room. The rooms of the hotel are absolutely perfect. They are luxuriously appointed and beautifully maintained. The hotel features a wonderful restaurant, which serves delicious breakfasts and meals throughout the day. Meals can be enjoyed either in the restaurant itself overlooking the beautiful grounds on which the Lodge is situated, outdoors in the gardens, or in the drawing room in front of a fire.

Ballsbridge is a wonderful area of Dublin, featuring stately old manse homes and a view of the sea. DART and bus stops that take you into city centre are very close by, as are restaurants and shopping.

I will absolutely be returning to the Aberdeen. I travel to Dublin frequently and the Lodge is by far the best experience I have had in accomodations there. If you are looking for a beautiful place to stay and the experience of true Irish hospitality while you are visiting Dublin, then the Aberdeen Lodge will be everything you are hoping for.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank CanadianTraveller37