“The apartments are great!”

Oliver St. John Gogarty's Hostel
Ranked #40 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in one of the apartments that are located on the roof with my two sisters and cousin. We had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, a dining room and a sitting room. It was perfect for the four of us, great location and the price was t too bad for staying there for a whole week

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Maureen C

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I was here 2 nights, the room was right next to the pub so music coming in the window clear as a bell.
I wasn't here to party so wanted an early-ish night both nights, which was simply not possible.
But, I fell asleep eventually only to be woken up by a guest taking a loud phone call at about 3am.
I was in a 12-bed dorm with a range of people.
Few issues:
1. You're allocated a bed but if someone there before you wants it, it's gone. Was supposed to have a bottom bunk, arrived to a top.
2. Wifi is very unreliable.
3. Lack of power points, not helped by a long-term stayer who took half the room up with his laptop, beer and clothes... Made getting from one end of the dorm to the other very hard.
4. One key for a 12-bed dorm means the door is always open, I've not seen which of the guests actually has the key.

Ensuite bathroom is ok, and location is good-ish, but I'll be staying elsewhere next time.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed in one of the rooftop apartments. It was fantastic! 2 bed, 2 bath apartment with deck/patio and great view down onto the Temple Bar area.

Location was perfect for jumping on the bus and checking out all the main Dublin attractions.

Safe and secure. The rooftop apartments are great for a family.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank kconleyink
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Thanks to Ronan and Paul for all. The best receptionists for sure, super helpful, really friendly.
I was glad to met nice people after had a bad day in another place. But change to your Hostel was the best decition i could ever take, good services, reaaaally clean, good breakfast. Thank you very much and see yaa next time!

Room Tip: The rooms of 8 arent so bad =D
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here for a city trip. The location of the hostel is ideal, in the heart of Dublin, the Temple Bar area. The staff were friendly and helpful.
The nos so good part was that the ventilation system in the place is loud, but except for that the hostel was pretty good.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was my first time staying in a hostel and I was definitely impressed. There was 3 of us, so we booked out a 4 bed room between us, so had a room to ourselves. The room and bathroom were both clean. If I were to be picky, the window and radiator area cold have done with a good wipe down as there was a lot of dust. There were two bunk beds in our cosy room which overlooked the main street. We didn't really venture into he kitchen/social area as we were so busy experiencing Dublin! One negative (which I'm sure is the same in most hostels) is the noise. Sometimes it was very hard to sleep at night, and if you did get to sleep, you were likely to be woken up again!! It sounded like someone upstairs was constantly dragging furniture across the floor, however we decided it couldn't be that as it happened so often! This didn't really matter to us as we were there to go out every night.
All staff were lovely, pleasant and helpful. We left our bags with them on departure day as we had a late flight, however there was a sign stating they do not always have room to do this, particularly on busy days.
Now to the exciting part... the location of this hostel is absolutely amazing! 'Gogartys' next door is full of life from noon (or before) with live Irish music throughout the day. The atmosphere is superb and you really get a taste of their culture- most of the bars in 'Temple Bar' play host to live music! The hostel is also close to the river and lots of lovely cafes and shops... so there is always somewhere to go if you need to pick something up! We also walked to the Guinness Storehouse from there which took about half an hour.
This hostel is definitely not for the faint hearted, but if your looking for some great nights out immersed in traditional Irish culture its prefect!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have stayed in many hostels before so I know what to expect from one. After staying in this hostel I have to wonder how it got its rating. First there is only one key for each room no matter how many people are in the room. The room did not have enough lockers for everyone an it looked as if the bathroom had never been cleaned. The kitchen they say they have I would not cook food for my worst enemy in. I was put in an 8 person room in which 3 of the occupants were extended stay as in been there for three months. They had taken over the room making it hard for the rest of us. I will be coming back to Dublin but I won't be staying here

Room Tip: Abigail's around the corner is much better
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo