“Great Hostel”

Oliver St. John Gogarty's Hostel
Ranked #40 of 126 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was my first time staying in a hostel and I was definitely impressed. There was 3 of us, so we booked out a 4 bed room between us, so had a room to ourselves. The room and bathroom were both clean. If I were to be picky, the window and radiator area cold have done with a good wipe down as there was a lot of dust. There were two bunk beds in our cosy room which overlooked the main street. We didn't really venture into he kitchen/social area as we were so busy experiencing Dublin! One negative (which I'm sure is the same in most hostels) is the noise. Sometimes it was very hard to sleep at night, and if you did get to sleep, you were likely to be woken up again!! It sounded like someone upstairs was constantly dragging furniture across the floor, however we decided it couldn't be that as it happened so often! This didn't really matter to us as we were there to go out every night.
All staff were lovely, pleasant and helpful. We left our bags with them on departure day as we had a late flight, however there was a sign stating they do not always have room to do this, particularly on busy days.
Now to the exciting part... the location of this hostel is absolutely amazing! 'Gogartys' next door is full of life from noon (or before) with live Irish music throughout the day. The atmosphere is superb and you really get a taste of their culture- most of the bars in 'Temple Bar' play host to live music! The hostel is also close to the river and lots of lovely cafes and shops... so there is always somewhere to go if you need to pick something up! We also walked to the Guinness Storehouse from there which took about half an hour.
This hostel is definitely not for the faint hearted, but if your looking for some great nights out immersed in traditional Irish culture its prefect!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have stayed in many hostels before so I know what to expect from one. After staying in this hostel I have to wonder how it got its rating. First there is only one key for each room no matter how many people are in the room. The room did not have enough lockers for everyone an it looked as if the bathroom had never been cleaned. The kitchen they say they have I would not cook food for my worst enemy in. I was put in an 8 person room in which 3 of the occupants were extended stay as in been there for three months. They had taken over the room making it hard for the rest of us. I will be coming back to Dublin but I won't be staying here

Room Tip: Abigail's around the corner is much better
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank pratt2358
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was our first experience of a hostel so we were dubious about what it would be like, but it totally exceeded all of our expectations. We stayed in a twin ensuite which was basic but clean; the beds were very comfortable and the shower was lovely. The facilities are good and breakfast with free tea and coffee available all day was a real bonus! The really special part of this hostel is the location - the bar next door (gogartys) is lively, the staff are extremely friendly and it gives you a real taste of the Irish culture (not too touristy!). We also ate there and the food was incredible and great value for money.

I fully recommend anyone who is looking for a good night life stay here - it may be a little noisy for those looking for a more relaxing stay but we loved it!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

The food was excellent, the third place we went to eat and it's been the best. The staff are a little quite and very much stick to serving and not socialise but they are still pleasant. Brilliant locally Irish music, awesome food... Defo need to come in and enjoy it!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This was the first hostel of my holiday I had stayed in, so I was unsure what to expect.
All in all was pretty good. There were just a few things that I would change.
They only have one room key per room. So if you're by yourself in a 6 bed dorm and you're out drinking or dancing and you get home late then you'd have to wake someone in the room up to come and open the door. I can understand not wanting there to be a million room keys to keep track of. But there surely has to be a better way.
The bathrooms were nice with lots of hot water.
The staff member who was at the main reception the two days I was there was really helpful, was able to help with any questions and advice in where to travel.
The included breakfast was pretty amazing and for 14€ was a great deal.
I could get the wifi up in the room on the 4th floor (they have a elevator to help get your bags up to your floor).
The only problem I had was with the bed. It was really hard and I had to steal another pillow from and empty bed because they are so flat. Also the beds are really short. Probably only 5'5ft long. So it was a good 6-7 inches too short for me. But let's be honest, you make do.

Would recommend staying here - great price and fantastic location. Right in the middle of temple bar. Easy to find late at night too :)

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

We only visited the pub and didn't stop here. The pub itself was always very popular as it plays live traditional music throughout the day. Definately the best pub for a good night with great live music. Food was average, and staff were helpful and friendly.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2013

the location is perfect, however there were dirty rooms, rude room mates, the staff were not too helpful and un-coordinated. Also they do not provide a baggage room when you have to check out. we stayed in a 12 bedroom door on the second floor, it was a saturday, there was apple juice and tea for free in the morning after breakfast

Room Tip: choose a private room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends