“Wonderful !”

Oliver St. John Gogarty's Hostel
Ranked #38 of 122 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I just wanted to recommend this wonderful hostel to whoever wants to LIVE Dublin..
The staff is extremely helpful and the location couldn't be better.... You can enjoy their own restaurant or pub crawl or just walk around - I've noticed that Dublin is very secure by night, as there are a lot of cops always on the street, willing to help you if you need any help.
I just loved the place and I'm planning to stay there again anytime I'll be back to Ireland.
I stayed there back in 2009 and now a friend of mine just visitated it again - I was glad to know anything had changed.

Thank you very much for everything.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed September 13, 2011

Perhaps I am being a bit unfair here in my rating. It's a good hostel, there is no dount about that. The staff were good, the location is good and it's a fun place. I just didn't get into it. Temple Bar is a happening place but I am not sure if it's the place I would stay in Dublin next time. OK I should expect that it would be full of tourists - I know, I know. And the pubs around the area are great but I don't know, it just lacked a bit of soul. And I guess that's the way I feel about Oliver St. John Gogarty's. Which is a weird thing to say because the bars (and there are several) in the hotel part of the building are popular and always lively. I just didn't "feel it" though. One night I walked around the corner and down the road to another pub by the river. There was no music there, only half a dozen people but I felt far more comfortable there having a chat and a quiet pint.

Anyway, the actual hostel itself has lots of good points; good staff, in the middle of Temple Bar, good kitchen, very clean, you get a free pint at their hotel and they also give you a CD and DVD of the music played at the pub. There are some negatives too; I was in a four bed dorm and it was pretty small, the drinks at the hotel are pretty expensive (but that's standard for Temple Bar, the WiFi didn't work the three nights I was there despite several people complaining to staff.

Perhaps it is worth a 4 out of five rating. I just didn't enjoy it that much.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I stayed at the hostel with my two children, aged 21 and 23, and a friend. We loved the hostel, its services, its staff, its bar, its music!
Everything is spotlessly clean. The common kitchen is the best one I have ever seen in a hostel. However, it is a pity it is closed so early!
Fruit at disposal for free! Breakfast could be improved, though. The key system is not very good either! Just 1 key for 4 people is not enough.
Location - in Temple Bar area, a partying area - is really a plus if you are young or don't mind noise! The bar downstairs was great! Lovely music & atmosphere! We really appreciated the presents we were given on arrival and checking in! There is a Tesco supermaket very near, as well as the Hard Rock Cafe. Free wi-fi in the rooms.
We loved the free pint of Guinness we got, while listening to lovely music!
Genuinely one of the nicest hostels I've ever stayed in! Great value for money!
I thank St. John Gogarty for everything! I spent a marvellous time there!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2011

apart from the noise, UNcleanliness... Especially in the shared bathrooms (although one can expect this in a hostel), and thin walls, this place boasts an excellent location right in the heart of temple bar. The staff are friendly and the hostel is nice and cosy if you can ignore the smelly shower gum! Wi-fi is hard to get in your room but the hotspot is only a stonethrow away. I would stay again as the price is excellent and in reality you are getting what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I love this place. Been on a girly holiday 3 years in a row to dublin and have stayed at Gogartys every time. Yes its a hostel so dont expect the ritz but its clean, comfortable and best of all really good value. You cannot beat the location its right in the centre of temple bar so no taxi's needed. The bus from the airport drops u off across the river but its only a 10 minute walk.

This place can be a bit noisey as its on top of a busy pub but a pair of ear plugs soon solve that. Ive stayed in a 4 bed room twice and a 6 bed room, all 3 were great. The last time I stayed i asked for a quiet room and we were given one in the back which was almost silent. If you are staying in a dorm room i would always recommend filling it or at least paying for all the beds then u can guarentee no strangers are going to be in with you and payng for 1 extra person between 3 or 5 of u isnt much.

U got a nice goody bag when u arrive which included a free pint when i went which is great considering prices in Dublin. Breakfast is basic but banana, toast and a coffee set us off nicely for the day.

Thanks Gogartys for some great memories!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This was our second time at Oliver St. John Gogarty's Hostel. So impressed were we in 1999 with the accommodations, service and location, we decided to stay here again. We arrived and stayed a night before heading off to cruise the Shannon for a week. We booked a number of stays between our comings and goings during this trip.

Upon our return from the cruise we settled in to the Hostel once again and went outside for a pint. While enjoying the company, fresh air and Spirit of Temple Bar, my wife's purse was snatched. She noticed it gone almost immediately...but too late. A frantic search for the culprit commenced and word spread quickly to security and management.

I spare the sordid details of the angst and painstaking process of canceling credit cards, arranging an embassy visit for the passport, and canceling our participation in the next leg of our trip to Wales and England. However, I spare no praise for the help we received.

It is important to say that from the wait staff, to security, the police and the management, we could not have asked for more kindness, understanding and support. Alan Kearney, Operations Manager for Gogarty's Hostel and Blooms Hotel tended to us immediately. A day later he offered us a switch to a room at the Hotel instead of the Hostel for the duration of our now unexpected and extended stay in Dublin, which was a welcomed gesture given our circumstances.

It is not just because of our mishap and the wonderful response we received that I write this review. Gogarty's Hostel (and we can now say Bloom's Hotel) are great affordable places to stay if you like being in the midst of the life of Temple Bar, Dublin. There is always amazing music, good food and wonderful people galore. Bored no longer exits in one's vocabulary as so much of the wonderfulness of Dublin is within a walk.

Ireland is like a second home to us. We will be back. When in Dublin we will stay at Gogarty's Hostel and/or Bloom's Hotel.

An Interesting Epilogue: While at Blooms we received a call from our son from the other side of Dublin. He called to say that my wife's sister, back in the United States, received a call from the administrative assistant at my wife's school workplace, informing her that a message was left stating that a pastor in Dublin found the purse on the lawn of the church. He saw her business card, called the school, the school called the sister, the sister called the son in Dublin who called the parents at Bloom's! We arranged to pick up the purse at the Garda Station to find that the only thing missing was most of the money! A great ending to an odd story!

Traveling Mercies to one and all!

Rev. Bill Beardslee and Ms Alice Mahar

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Revbill7
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We are a middle aged couple, whose hobby is travel. We try to get the best value for money. We stay in 4 and 5 star hotels for special occasions, but in reality all we want is a clean room to sleep in. We are hardly in the room, and are out and about exploring the area.

We were a bit worried when we read some of the reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. We had a twin room, with a double bed on the bottom bunk, and a single on the top bunk. The room was spacious and carpeted. The bedding was clean and so was the ensuite bathroom. (It was tiny though, and I wouldn’t recommend for larger people) The shower worked and there was plenty of hot water.
On arrival we received a lovely welcome, and were given a CD, a DVD and information about the facilities. We were offered fresh fruit, which was refreshing.
It was not that noisy really because we were on the fourth floor, so we had a good sleep.
The breakfast was adequate, and there were people of all ages.
The entertainment was wonderful and the food was fantastic.
You must try the long four course lunch in the restaurant. It was amazing value.
We are already looking for flights to return again!!.
This is great value for money.
I would say that it compares to two star hotels that we have stayed in, but the location is exceptional.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple