“Davy lives!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Davy Byrnes

Davy Byrnes
Ranked #52 of 286 Nightlife in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: The pub frequented by Leopold Bloom, the protagonist of James Joyce's classic modern novel, "Ulysses."
Belfast, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Davy lives!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Well, I've been here so, so many times over a wide number of years, and the decor may endure subtle and not so subtle changes, and the patrons and the staff may come and go, but the greatness of the Guinness tap continues as does the excellence of their plain food, whether it's Irish stew, a burger, or a (huge) salmon steak and fries, at very decent prices.

Go there, and maybe imagine how Dublin once was, when Joyce name-checked the place for a moment's literature in Ulysses - Gorgonzola and burgundy wine - but for me, stew and Guinness were home enough!

Visited February 2013

Maryland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Perfect Irish Pub Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I went to Davy Byrnes after a long day of travel, sightseeing, and was looking for a place to have the quintessential Irish Pub experience during my short stay in Dublin. Davy Byrne's did not let me down.

I loved the atmosphere, and with the historic James Joyce association, felt like I had stepped back in time. I was in for an early dinner and drink, so the pub was not terribly crowded, and the staff was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable.

The local Smithwick's beer was absolutely delicious, and the menu full of hearty, Irish fare - I had the Irish Stew with a side of chips, and my travel companion had a steak with pepper sauce. We happily chatted, ate, drank, and watched the street traffic while sitting in the front room - and I left feeling like I had experienced an incredibly authentic slice of Ireland.

The beef stew was absolutely delicious - more like huge veggie chunks with beef blocks in a bit of broth - truly a filling and hearty meal.

I strongly recommend Davy Byrnes, and can't wait to go back.

Visited February 2013
N.Ireland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great bar, really friendly. Had a lovely, reasonably priced lunch in here and the staff were good Craic. Right in the heart of Grafton street which is full of street entertainers too.

Visited January 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Good food, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

The food was good, but it was understaffed and VERY crowded. Five of us ended up around two tiny tables, with not enough room for our food. Irish stew was very tasty.

Visited December 2012
Novi Sad, Serbia
“Nice food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

The waiter was very friendly.Value is good.Food was great,oyesters fresh.Atmosphere-warm and cosy.I highly recommend it.

Visited November 2012